U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which country?
Australia 4 2.27%
Belgium 2 1.14%
Canada 38 21.59%
Denmark 3 1.70%
France 13 7.39%
Germany 9 5.11%
The Netherlands 30 17.05%
New Zealand 3 1.70%
Sweden 13 7.39%
Switzerland 5 2.84%
United Kingdom 11 6.25%
United States 45 25.57%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times

Advertisements

What country seems to be the most tolerant of different peoples?

I.e. different races, homosexuals, religions, gender equality, people with disabilities.etc.

I voted for Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 24,084,256 times
I actually think it's this country.

Honestly. Which other country has seen the integration and personal success of so many different people from so many different backgrounds and cultures and beliefs?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 AM

2,788 posts, read 2,686,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I.e. different races, homosexuals, religions, gender equality, people with disabilities.etc.

I voted for Canada.
I would have considered Canada but there are still areas in Canada that are quite conservative and with it conservative religious beliefs are still held such as some smaller towns over there and got this from friends that have been and lived in Canada.

Of course the bigger cities and bigger towns tend to be more open and accepting of course and with it making Canada among the most tolerant country in the world.

Of course homophobia still exist even among schools over there:
Study finds startling new data on homophobia in Canadian classrooms | News | National Post

In addition there also been an recently an gay man in Canada that was murdered because he was gay:
http://www.gaelick.com/2012/04/canad...-attack/23920/

In addition legalised prostitution has more restrictions than in Australia

Prostitution is not illegal in Canada, but many of the services and practices associated with it are heavily regulated by law.
BBC News - Ontario brothel ban quashed by appeal court

With that Canada is not so tolerant than it is trying to show the world. But still Canada is still very accepting country and among the most tolerant despite its small minority of bigots.

Last edited by other99; 04-30-2012 at 05:29 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,510,755 times
If you are talking all inclusively, the US by far. Yes, we have our share of bigots, but for the most part we get along pretty good.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 AM

310 posts, read 443,888 times
The Netherlands
In my opinion it's more tolerant that US in terms of religion and homosexual.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 5,531,033 times
Default you forgot something, Trimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I voted for Canada.
Being "tolerant" in my book is not only respecting other races (meaning non white) and religions (meaning non Christians) , or homosexuals (meaning gay marriage), but also being tolerant of non politically correct (meaning Conservative) people. Or else your conception of what it is to be tolerant is...biased

Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Being "tolerant" in my book is not only respecting other races (meaning non white) and religions (meaning non Christians) , or homosexuals (meaning gay marriage), but also being tolerant of non politically correct (meaning Conservative) people. Or else your conception of what it is to be tolerant is...biased
I agree...in that case no country in the world is truly tolerant.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,176,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
The Netherlands
In my opinion it's more tolerant that US in terms of religion and homosexual.
its ( netherlands ) intollerant in its own way , people are frank to an overbearing degree

the usa has it fair share of obnoxious a - holes but the thing i like about the usa is that it treasures a persons right to be an a - hole , it doesnt try and change people , europe is full of do gooders who see it as thier duty to re - educate others

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 AM

355 posts, read 549,797 times
Agree, Dutch make bad bosses...but they are the most tolerant people in Western Europe since historical times. Dutch have always been traders, bourgeois, open to the world. Not racist at all with people that accept their rules. For example, they assimilated many people from their colonies.

Swedes too, but they are self-righteous to the point of disbelief...

As to personal freedom and being tolerant, the US. The US has the individualist thing that is quite scarce around here.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 AM

697 posts, read 657,190 times
The Scandanavians hsave a tradition of being very tolerant and liberal. Then again most of Western Europe is very tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World