Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU vs NA
European Union 91 46.67%
North America 104 53.33%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 51,689 times

Advertisements

Everything is SMALLER & more expensive in Europe and I hate it!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
And if I want to be different? If I was gay and wanted to marry my partner, an atheist who wanted a political career. If I wanted to smoke a joint without worrying about the police. If I was black and wanted to drive a car without being stopped by the police every so often. Europe all the way, man.
There are areas where America measures up to or exceeds Europe, but the freedom to be different sure isn't one of them. America is still trying to refight battles of social freedoms from 50 years ago!
As far as gay marriage goes, one really isn't better off in Europe than North America. In Europe, gay marriage is legal in Belgium, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden. In NA, it's legal in Canada, Connecticut, DC, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

As far as politics goes, an Atheist will be far more successful in EU, but at the same time, minorities have been far more successful in politics in the US and Canada.

Yes, black people face discrimination in the US, but it's not as if they don't in Europe either. Also, anti-Muslim sentiment is much stronger in Europe than it is in the US.

I've lived in both Europe and the US, and as far as the freedom to be different, I don't find one to be better than the other. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It really depends on the type of person in question. To be honest though, I think Canada does better than the US and every European country as far as the freedom to be different is concerned, it really has the best aspects of Europe and the US without a lot of the negative aspects.

Now, in terms of financial freedom, health care, and working conditions, I believe Canada and many EU countries are a big step ahead of the US.

Last edited by jayp1188; 05-25-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 AM

361 posts, read 837,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post

All these are fairly prevalent superstitions among Americans who have never been outside America. They don't survive contact with reality. You should try actually living in Europe or at least visiting.
Thats quite fun because I lived in Europe all my life (Belgium) until 2 years ago ...
I find it fun too when lot of minorities from Europe (France, Belgium) are migrating to NA because they are facing lot of discrimination there and I'm one of those.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
As far as gay marriage goes, one really isn't better off in Europe than North America. In Europe, gay marriage is legal in Belgium, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden. In NA, it's legal in Canada, Connecticut, DC, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and Washington.
Also, Mexico City for North America.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
I'd say the EU but my eventual goal is to settle down in Vancouver, BC because it is quite close to my family in the States at least.

I definitely wanna live in Europe for a few years though.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, Mexico City for North America.
Oh, I forgot that gay marriage is legal in DF. Gay marriages performed in DF are actually valid all throughout Mexico.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM

I do wish that the US had kept some of its more idiosyncratic non-Anglophone communities intact and strong (such as the Louisiana Creole and Cajun, the large German communities of the Midwest and Texas, the Navajo Nation and a host of other Native American groups) so there'd be a greater sense of homegrown diversity, but ah well.

There is Quebec though which is awesome.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
How many were killed in the Civil War? Around 620,000 soliders. Bloody enough?

Nothing compared to Napoleonic Wars, Franco Prussian war, Colonial wars, Spanish Civil War, WWI, WWII..etc.

There's no such thing called Europe. Only Americans are always talking about Europe and "white" people. There's no Europe and no white people in Europe. You've got gabatxos, roastbeefs, kartofelns, spaguettis, toreros, kaaskops..

Everybody hates each other. EEC is not Europe, but an American Protectorate (Thanks God).

The people living in the continent are like ancient Greeks, they are always killing each other that's why the civilized part of the continent is American (the Americans intervened to save Western Europe just as Rome invaded Greece). The EEC will go down the drain the moment the US goes down the drain. The EEC is an American project, the real "European EEC" was the project envisaged by Napoleon and Hitler that involved physical occupation and perpetual holocausts.

Please, don't say things like "in Europe the have good weather", "in Europe they have good education". Just as in the US, in the continent you can have the best weather in the world (temperate mediterranean) or the worse weather (penguin contries)...the best education (private universities) and the worse education (public education for the poor).

European cities are better because the American built their cities based on cars and suburban development starting in the 20's. They were wrong. Their inner cities are a waste because they have minorities that will never be assimilated (just as in some extreme cases in the European continent).

But the US will exist as a powerful nation in the future because the US "IS A REAL COUNTRY" capable of assimilating different people. In the future, the European continent will be an empty shell inhabited by muslims and Asians and visited mostly by Chinese and Indian newlyweds.

Last edited by Cocoricoco; 05-27-2012 at 03:37 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Nothing compared to Napoleonic Wars, Franco Prussian war, Colonial wars, Spanish Civil War, WWI, WWII..etc.

There's no such thing called Europe. Only Americans are always talking about Europe and "white" people. There's no Europe and no white people in Europe. You've got gabatxos, roastbeefs, kartofelns, spaguettis, toreros, kaaskops..

Everybody hates each other. EEC is not Europe, but an American Protectorate (Thanks God).

The people living in the continent are like ancient Greeks, they are always killing each other that's why the civilized part of the continent is American (the Americans intervened to save Western Europe just as Rome invaded Greece). The EEC will go down the drain the moment the US goes down the drain. The EEC is an American project, the real "European EEC" was the project envisaged by Napoleon and Hitler that involved physical occupation and perpetual holocausts.

Please, don't say things like "in Europe the have good weather", "in Europe they have good education". Just as in the US, in the continent you can have the best weather in the world (temperate mediterranean) or the worse weather (penguin contries)...the best education (private universities) and the worse education (public education for the poor).

European cities are better because the American built their cities based on cars and suburban development starting in the 20's. They were wrong. Their inner cities are a waste because they have minorities that will never be assimilated (just as in some extreme cases in the European continent).

But the US will exist as a powerful nation in the future because the US "IS A REAL COUNTRY" capable of assimilating different people. In the future, the European continent will be an empty shell inhabited by muslims and Asians and visited mostly by Chinese and Indian newlyweds.
Yea, this kind of pessimism and short-sightedness is pretty much the main reason Europe as a whole is screwed.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Cities -Tie,
Weather -NA
People -Both
Sports - NA
Economy - NA
Scenery - NA - so diverse.
Education -EU for early education, NA for University
Nightlife -Both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World