U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 17,315,453 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have met a lot of Brits, I find them for the most part to be very nice people. I also find the accent pleasing.

Aussies.............yikes, besides being arrogant p***** for the most part...........LOL, that fricken accent.........put a nail in my eye.
Lol, well it's a nice change from the usual 'OMG I LOOOVE Aussie accents!' from Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
3,927 posts, read 3,123,320 times
Reputation: 1881
I think the English accent sounds nicer but the Australian accent i can understand better also because they talk slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
4,899 posts, read 4,807,577 times
Reputation: 3137
Most Pleasing:

French
Russian
Chinese
Japanese

Most Annoying:

Spanish
Indian
Arabic
German
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,629 posts, read 5,323,354 times
Reputation: 6316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Pleasing:
French, Qubecois,
Spaniards of the Philippines such the Ayalas, it's with a Filipino accent with a twist, lol maybe cause they're billionaires
Actually, I've met a few Spaniards there with the same accent that weren't exactly rolling in dough.


Ayala A big name in the Philippines cnn - YouTube

Pleasingly funny:
Italian, German, Singaporean, African, Japanese

Funny:Indian, Vietnamese, Russian

Annoying:
Indian can be annoying when very heavy, Mainland Chinese
100% agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Turku, Finland
295 posts, read 75,297 times
Reputation: 288
I've traveled a lot, so few accents charm me any more.

But by far the most annoying spoken English accent is Indian, without a doubt.

The best accent is Indian, and by that I mean American Indian "Rez" English. Very soft spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 AM
 
3,538 posts, read 4,549,973 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Pleasing:
French, Qubecois,
Spaniards of the Philippines such the Ayalas, it's with a Filipino accent with a twist, lol maybe cause they're billionaires
Actually, I've met a few Spaniards there with the same accent that weren't exactly rolling in dough.


Ayala A big name in the Philippines cnn - YouTube

Pleasingly funny:
Italian, German, Singaporean, African, Japanese

Funny:Indian, Vietnamese, Russian

Annoying:
Indian can be annoying when very heavy, Mainland Chinese
That's not specifically a Spanish-Filipino accent, most well-educated Filipinos who speak English well sound like that. It just happens to sound similar to a Spanish-speaker speaking English. And then Filipino celebrities have another accent, which is kinda annoying. I'm not sure which accent they're trying to emulate. Whereas with Indians, it's obviously a British accent that they're going for.


Pantene "Gathering" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 17,315,453 times
Reputation: 11862
^ The above actually sounds kind of Indian. They're surprisingly hard to understand, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 AM
 
3,538 posts, read 4,549,973 times
Reputation: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ The above actually sounds kind of Indian. They're surprisingly hard to understand, too.
Maybe you're not understanding the Tagalog parts. They're randomly mixing Tagalog with English. It's very common for Filipinos to do this, especially celebs. Or was it actually the English you were having a hard time understanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Bright lights Baked Ziti
483 posts, read 573,004 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
That's not specifically a Spanish-Filipino accent, most well-educated Filipinos who speak English well sound like that. It just happens to sound similar to a Spanish-speaker speaking English. And then Filipino celebrities have another accent, which is kinda annoying. I'm not sure which accent they're trying to emulate. Whereas with Indians, it's obviously a British accent that they're going for.


Pantene "Gathering" - YouTube
LOL, never said it was a Spanish-Filipino accent, I said "Spaniards of the Philippines such the Ayalas, it's with a Filipino accent with a twist". To me their accent is different and clean.

First define what you mean by well educated, does that mean, someone educated internationally in schools in the US or Britain for example or educated at the University of the Philippines school system, Ateneo de Manila University school system, or the De Lasalle school system or other schools in the Philippines cause based on the people that I've encountered and interviewed, it makes a huge difference on their English accent.
From my experience, I've noticed those that were educated in the Ateneo De Manila school system for the most part had a better command of English than any other school system in the country.

If you were talking about the well educated baby boom generation or even the older generation X of the Philippines, I could see your generalization for the most part about the well educated Filipinos speaking like the Ayala brothers, but if you were talking about the well-educated younger generation X or even Y, I would tend to disagree. I'm afraid the nationalist movement in the Philippines affected the school system, college students of today are not as well versed in English as compared to their parents or grandparents despite news that may say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 17,315,453 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Maybe you're not understanding the Tagalog parts. They're randomly mixing Tagalog with English. It's very common for Filipinos to do this, especially celebs. Or was it actually the English you were having a hard time understanding?
I think that was it. Wasn't sure if it was all in English or mixed in with Tagalog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top