Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Tell that to the British and French nuclear warheads that can destroy Earth several times. This isn't the 40s anymore, the time of huge armies warfare is long gone. Otherwise the US should be trembling at the thought of North Korea's army if it was just numbers.
² that. The thing with European armies is not that they are lousy or inefficient. The thing is that the European politicians (and most common people as well) do not wish to really use their armies other than for defensive and/or humanitarian purposes.
I'd like to see what would happen if the chinese would attack (well, actually I don't, but you understand my point). I think quite a lot of Americans would be surprized by the force of European armies unleashed .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,078 times
Avondrood

If China invades the EEC, all CEOs of the most important EEC corporations would rush to sell their products to Chinese generals. No way Europe will ever unleash any real power without Americans pushing them.

There's a saying....Europe is an Economic Giant, an Important Political Force and a MILITARY ANT.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Avondrood

If China invades the EEC, all CEOs of the most important EEC corporations would rush to sell their products to Chinese generals. No way Europe will ever unleash any real power without Americans pushing them.

There's a saying....Europe is an Economic Giant, an Important Political Force and a MILITARY ANT.
The constituent countries of Europe have a lot of firepower both collectively and individually. I think you've basically skewed your brains a bit by comparing Europe's military spending with the US's which is completely out of proportion from that of any other country in the world.

The EU and its constituent countries actually has greater military expenditures than China does with France or the UK alone having military expenditures comparable to Russia's (and much of Russia's military expenditures is from updating or maintaining incredibly antiquated equipment).

Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM

355 posts, read 1,190,078 times
Did I ever mentioned military expenditures?
I just stressed (as Avondrood) that the EEC won't use their military power without the US pushing behind.
Military expenditure is meaningless, since the US (also NATO) has a technological gap of ten years on conventional weapons.
Mainland China or Russia can spend whatever amount they wish, but the US (NATO) will always be ahead 10 years on conventional weapons.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I just stressed (as Avondrood) that the EEC won't use their military power without the US pushing behind.
Military expenditure is meaningless, since the US (also NATO) has a technological gap of ten years on conventional weapons.
Mainland China or Russia can spend whatever amount they wish, but the US (NATO) will always be ahead 10 years on conventional weapons.
Shouldn't what you actually have in your arsenal be part of how you judge a military? Or does the actual military itself not count when we're talking about military power (only the willingness to be belligerent matters, right)?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:16 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! "The Russian Federation". or, The Putin Empire.
More in common with the Chicago Mob than a normally run country.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
We are basically the unpaid Merc leg of NATO.
We really have the only Military with a large scale battle proven record in the world. An Airforce thats as powerfull as all of our potential adversaries combined. Tanks and tankers with a recent proven track record. Add in the Canadians and Brits and no one combined is going to take us on in a conventional war.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,739 times
Quote:
Well said. The will is everything, and the will in Europe simply isn't there...

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
More in common with the Chicago Mob than a normally run country.
Tragically, this is so. And it's not going to change as long as Putin is around. Though you never know--miracles can happen. But in Russia, the rule of thumb in this regard is: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
We still need NATO, on the other hand the United Nations is a "Waste".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World