U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM

461 posts, read 937,845 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I really admire poeple who have lived in the U.S. for all their lives or part of their lives or others who have moved to the U.S. to move back to another country. I wished I wasn't so scared to do so. I am a Irish and US citizen and my husband is from Ireland and we would like to move to another country but get scared for silly reasons to be honest. Part of me just sasy go for it and the other part says the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Can anyone comment about their feelings with just getting up and moving and loving or regretting it? I would love to hear from you.

Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM

10,693 posts, read 6,692,026 times
What are you scared of?

There are countries to be completely avoided but on the whole there are pros and cons to be found in most countries.

Just don't expect it to be like it is in the US or how it is portrayed in Disney films.

Anywhere you are particularly interested in?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:35 PM

248 posts, read 252,286 times
It's one of the best decisions you could make. It won't leave your mind if you don't do it...and the benefits of having lived both places is priceless. The world as a whole will feel more like home. Plus living in Europe allows for so much travel and access to things you could never have in the US.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM

590 posts, read 548,176 times
I would love the experience of living in another country. My wife is less into the idea (living away from family), which is a shame as she is in the health care field and could work in a few different countries...maybe someday.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,267,980 times
I did it a few years ago.

I recommend it.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM

5,355 posts, read 6,708,165 times
The grass is never greener on the other side. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy and appreciate living in another country. All countries and all locations have their up sides and down sides. The enjoyment of living in a foreign country is about the exploration and experience of all those things. There have been times when I've wanted to scream with frustration and times when I don't know how I ever lived another way. I don't even consider myself to be a particularly adaptable person so if I can manage, most people probably can too.

As long as you don't have an unrealistic expectation that it will be perfect and the answer to all your problems - which you clearly don't - you'll do fine.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:52 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,130,108 times
I did this.

It wasn't really hard, although I wasn't really established in my life (I did this in my early 20's). I'm in my late 20's and I still do things like this from time to time. Life is too short to be walking on eggshells, or being afraid of the worst things that have a small chance of occurring.

I learned so much from being in foreign countries, where I didn't know the language and I had to learn on my feet. There were periods when I had less than $500 in my bank account and I was 6000 + miles away from anyone I knew. That feeling was/is probably one of the most liberating that I've felt to this day in my life.

as another poster said, don't have unrealistic expectations and you'll be fine.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,567,324 times
I'm willing to relocate to a foreign country, but only if the women there are insanely beautiful. Otherwise, why would I? ;-)

Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM

461 posts, read 937,845 times
I was born in Canada and moved to the U.S. when I was five. I am scared of establishing again and my six year old daughter. Healthcare concerns me especially if we moved to a non speaking English country. I know, I am a scaredy cat. I am 37 years old. Not being near family.....education, what schools do I pick....

But going somewhere sounds exciting and I only live one life, right? The other thing is a career for me.

Did any of you move back from Europe?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,452,513 times
I've known of a few people that did it. For two reasons: (a) it was the country of their ethnicity, and (b) they lived in a part of the US where that culture was NOT well-represented

To Greece:
- was on one of the islands at the tourist office and was asking for info. The man speaking to me spoke American English. I asked him where he was from. He said LA. We got to talking. Turns out he went to HS in "the Valley" and to one of the CSUs. He had majored in theatre or something similar, so he had been slogging it out in LA. He said he had family and access to property on this one island, and he moved back.

To Italy:
- was in an ancient Greek amphitheater visited by tourists and this one girl, mid to late 20s, broke out in song in front of all these people. I complimented her in Italian. I asked her where she was from. Also from LA. She was living in an area in SoCal that had had an Italian presence, but had turned Hispanic. She said she always felt more Italian and was now living there.
- my parents' friends had two boys in HS in a nice part of LA. The parents were immigrants. These guys obviously did their schooling here, but bolted back to a beach town on the Ligurian coast, where they were born, as soon as HS was over. Their parents followed them later, upon retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World