Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM

362 posts, read 665,605 times

Advertisements

Honestly it doesn't matter which side is more powerful than the other because both sides have strong cities. If new York and Tokyo some how disappeared off the face of the earth, many countries and reigions would have a hard time recovering. Both cities are economic powerhouses.(there are also other cities that I can think of off the top of my head that probably have just as much influence in their reigion from both "Rims".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
I think with the rise of China and other Asian economies like Vietnam, as well as Australia still doing well despite the GFC, and the decline of the US and Europe, the Pacific will become more important.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think with the rise of China and other Asian economies like Vietnam, as well as Australia still doing well despite the GFC, and the decline of the US and Europe, the Pacific will become more important.
Not to forget the Canadian Economy. Also, Mexico's economy is Growing, so add Mexico City and Guadalajara in there. I guess some of the ports like Tijuana-Ensenada, Mazatlan, Culiacan, Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco. Let's not forget Panama City.

I think that a few decades ago, It was definitely the Atlantic side, but now it looks like it is going more towards the pacific.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 PM

545 posts, read 866,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Neither would have any relevance at all, if it were not for the USA and its position in the global economy. Otherwise, the Atlantic and Pacific are just the two coasts of Eurasia, just as America has two coasts. The two coasts of Eurasia were practically unknown to each other, prior to the development of America and global circumnavigation.

So the USA is the focal point of the two competing regions, and reference to the two ocean realms is Amerocentric, and their relative fortunes rise and fall with American interests.
100% true. The relative importance of those two regions depend only of the USA.

Economically the Pacific Rim is more significant (Chinese and Japanese trade with the US playing a huge role). But about everything else the Atlantic Rim is (still) more significant : political, immigration, science and culture sharing, tourism, etc.

And a link :
McKinsey: The World's Economic Center Of Gravity From AD 1 To AD 2010 - Business Insider

Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
100% true. The relative importance of those two regions depend only of the USA.

Economically the Pacific Rim is more significant (Chinese and Japanese trade with the US playing a huge role). But about everything else the Atlantic Rim is (still) more significant : political, immigration, science and culture sharing, tourism, etc.

And a link :
McKinsey: The World's Economic Center Of Gravity From AD 1 To AD 2010 - Business Insider
Only on the USA? Methinks you Americans think a wee bit too much of yourselves...

Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Debate of the century: Is the Pacific Rim or the Atlantic Rim more influential?

This new thread should be added to this old one

Old 06-07-2014, 10:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Atlantic rim.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Neither would have any relevance at all, if it were not for the USA and its position in the global economy. Otherwise, the Atlantic and Pacific are just the two coasts of Eurasia, just as America has two coasts. The two coasts of Eurasia were practically unknown to each other, prior to the development of America and global circumnavigation.

So the USA is the focal point of the two competing regions, and reference to the two ocean realms is Amerocentric, and their relative fortunes rise and fall with American interests.
Ummm I don't really classify "Eurasia" as one unit.

The British isles are as about as far removed from the far east as you can get.

Infact I am closer to America. So yeah "Eurasia" doesn't really exist politically and culturally.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
I say both are extremely important, but I will have to go with the Atlantic rim since New York(often classified as the financial capital of the world) and dc(capital of the most powerful country in the world) are located here.
Excuse me LONDON!!!!

Dc my ass!!

Old 06-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Ummm I don't really classify "Eurasia" as one unit.

The British isles are as about as far removed from the far east as you can get.

Infact I am closer to America. So yeah "Eurasia" doesn't really exist politically and culturally.
Of course it exists geographically.

And yes, since long before Roman times there has been a lot of interchange between the two halves. From the domestication of cattle (began in India, spread to Europe and the rest of Asia), pigs (SEA and China to the west), wheat and barley (from the Middle East to China and Europe), horses, dogs, fowl (from Asia to the west), technology (Mesopotamia, Levant, Mycenian, Indus, Huang He). The connection between Europe and N.American civilisations is far more recent really, a product of colonialism. But I suspect explain all of this to you is pretty pointless, so for the benefit of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World