Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,783,988 times

Advertisements

Do you think the economic centre of gravity has shifted from the Atlantic to the Pacific?

To be more specific, the Pacific Rim includes nations bordering the Pacific, like China, Japan, Indonesia, Australia, Canada, the western US, Chile.

The Atlantic world, for me, is the Eastern US, Canada, Western Europe, Brazil.etc. Western Europe would extend until Germany and the eastern US is anything east of the Mississippi.

For instance, some of the big cities in each region:

Pacific Rim:

Tokyo
Seoul
Beijing
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Manila
Ho Chi Minh City
Bangkok
Singapore
Jakarta
Sydney
Melbourne
Auckland
Honolulu
Vancouver
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Lima
Santiago

Atlantic Realm:

New York
London
Toronto
Montreal
Chicago
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Atlanta
Madrid
Barcelona
London
Brussels
Amsterdam
Paris
Rome
Frankfurt]
Sao Paulo
Rio de Janeiro
Cape Town

I feel that trans-Pacific trade is becoming increasingly important: economically, the shift is also towards Asia. Canada is doing quite well, as is Australia, while the EU, Britain and the US are still struggling. The view of the Atlantic as the centre of the world is western/Anglo-centric as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,949,660 times
It is hard to tell, even the INdian ocean rim is an rival as you have India and the Middle East.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
It is hard to tell, even the INdian ocean rim is an rival as you have India and the Middle East.
Not really, I think the Indian Ocean trails WAY behind the others.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Well you have the on going Isreal/Palestine conflict which is always in the news that influences not just the region, as well as the oil rich middle east.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 AM

691 posts, read 2,151,014 times
Neither would have any relevance at all, if it were not for the USA and its position in the global economy. Otherwise, the Atlantic and Pacific are just the two coasts of Eurasia, just as America has two coasts. The two coasts of Eurasia were practically unknown to each other, prior to the development of America and global circumnavigation.

So the USA is the focal point of the two competing regions, and reference to the two ocean realms is Amerocentric, and their relative fortunes rise and fall with American interests.

Last edited by CowanStern; 05-24-2012 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well you have the on going Isreal/Palestine conflict which is always in the news that influences not just the region, as well as the oil rich middle east.
I'm talking in terms of overall economic/cultural influence etc...

Let's begin by naming cities that are prominent that are in the wider Indian Ocean geographical region:

Bangkok
Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
Calcutta
Chennai
Bangalore
Mumbai
Dhubai

Abu Dhabi
Bahrain
Mombasa
Nairobi
Addis Ababa
Johannesburg
Perth

In terms of cities as internationally prominent as the ones in the first two lists: those are bolded.

Last edited by Trimac20; 05-24-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM

I not referring not the cities but what impact region has in regards to trade and natural resources:

Roughly 40 percent of all daily seaborne traded oil (or 20 percent of oil traded worldwide) passes through the Strait of Hormuz in Persian Gulf. Over 50,000 vessels transit the Strait of Malacca per year to gain access to South China Sea. If the strait were blocked, nearly half of the world’s fleet would be required to reroute around the Indonesian archipelago through Lombok Strait, located between the islands of Bali and Lombok, or the Sunda Strait, located between Java and Sumatra. Over 3,000 oil tankers pass through the Suez Canal, to and from Bab al Mandab annually.

Greater Indian Ocean: A Peaceful Geo-Political Pivot Or A Contentious Source Of Hedging

Old 05-24-2012, 11:33 AM

102,067 posts, read 106,933,722 times
I tend to think so, but then, I've spend most of my life on the West Coast. But you have not only Japan, but the Chinese monolith on the other side of the Pacific. That tends to put the heavy players around the PAC rim.

Singapore and Bangkok are just as easily attributed to Pacific Rim countries.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM

363 posts, read 662,575 times
I say both are extremely important, but I will have to go with the Atlantic rim since New York(often classified as the financial capital of the world) and dc(capital of the most powerful country in the world) are located here.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM

98 posts, read 275,441 times
It's a no brainer - Pacific Rim. The U.S. has the advantage of being on both Pacific and Atlantic Rims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World