U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,336 posts, read 18,367,370 times
Reputation: 22512

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Celts aren't really an ethnic group with a racial continuity. The first Celts are the ancestors of modern gay Swiss and Austrians, who are certainly culturally and linguistically Germanic. Modern day Celts have only a small genetic connection to them and actually form stronger ties to the Spanish and Norwegians than to the original Celts.
Are you saying that the Celts are/were what is now called the "Alpine" type? I've always wondered about that. But the Celts are said to be related to the Central Asian Indo-European ("Aryan") peoples, and they were known for their red and their blond hair. The "Alpine" type is dark-haired, dark-eyed, I think. Can you shed any light on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_race

This has some interesting information that ties the Alpine type (pre-Celtic) to highland Central Asian peoples. It would explain they stocky nature of the Kazakhs, unlike most other Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,932 posts, read 20,217,273 times
Reputation: 11210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Polynesians 'black'? I think you're thinking Melanesians or Astroloids. The Rock is Polynesian, as are Hawaiians and Maori.
Many Hawaiians and Maori show "black (Melanesian)" traits; The Rock is actually half Samoan and half Afro-Canadian. As Samoans go, his mom was actually fairly Asian-looking. Many Samoans, including some of his relatives, do have Black characteristics as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,932 posts, read 20,217,273 times
Reputation: 11210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Kazakhs are a mix, like you said. There are blond Kazakhs, with Indo-European genetic markers. The Uighurs and Tibetan nomads are 1/2 Indo-European and 1/2 north Asian. Polynesians are 1/2 Melanesian (Black) and 1/2 aboriginal Vietnamese (Austroneseian)
There are also aboriginal Vietnamese who appear very Melanesian.

Quote:
those are kind of in a class by themselves. There are two types of Saami; some are White, some are dark, and related to Samoyeds. There are enclaves of dark people among the Saami, and genetic research shows they came from completely different stock.

You should include Tibetans on your list. Some Tibetans are related to the Chinese. The nomads are 1/2 Altaic (north Asian, like the Mongols, Manchus and Turkic peoples) and 1/2 Indo-Euro. Tibetans are really two different peoples with two different cultures: sedentary vs. nomadic. The language also shows this split; the grammar is Altaic while the vocabulary is mostly Sinitic (Chinese-related).

What about the Ainu? Definitely Australoid, but with something else mixed in. Very ancient people, those. (The older Ainu, before admixture from Japanese and Manchus from Sakhalin Island).

Great topic.
Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,336 posts, read 18,367,370 times
Reputation: 22512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are also aboriginal Vietnamese who appear very Melanesian.
The Vietnamese hill tribes are fascinating! There are indeed, Black tribes. When I worked at a university, a student turned up who was from one of those tribes. She looked African American, but she was actually Asian. That REALLY threw the minority student advisers for a loop. They actually didn't believe her. It didn't go well. But she was really bright and capable, her adoptive father was a Vietnam vet (Black). A really fascinating personal story. Knowing her motivated me to study the history of those tribes.

Jeez, I love human diversity!! Life would be very sad and boring without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
23,932 posts, read 20,217,273 times
Reputation: 11210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Vietnamese hill tribes are fascinating! There are indeed, Black tribes. When I worked at a university, a student turned up who was from one of those tribes. She looked African American, but she was actually Asian. That REALLY threw the minority student advisers for a loop. They actually didn't believe her. It didn't go well. But she was really bright and capable, her adoptive father was a Vietnam vet (Black). A really fascinating personal story. Knowing her motivated me to study the history of those tribes.

Jeez, I love human diversity!! Life would be very sad and boring without it.
From one of the Montagnard groups, I would guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 PM
 
396 posts, read 366,423 times
Reputation: 182
Meh this kind of stuff is bizarre, for one thing white people seem to be the most alike in terms of racials features, depending on who you call white. If arabs, berbers and iranians are considered white, there is a huge amount of diversity, if your just thinking british french german(which many people do), your getting a much smaller mix of peoples.

african isn`t even a race ironically, genetic evidence has proven that samilia`s, sudanese, south africans, berber, tuargeg, kameroon people are genetic very different, and if you have met many you can see very clear distincitions. This is not a product of mixes, which seems to be this repeated stick by so many people. Africans, are one of the least mixed groups of people on the planet, dude to a lack of easy to navigate water ways.

View Ababda's Posts

This is just from one area, and it`s not a product of some arab influx, very little genetic evidence shows this, paler skin, and a roman nose, are not racial features, but common features for northern and arid enviroments.

By looking at a person it`s much easier to tell which biome of the earth they originate from than it is to tell which racial group they are from. People in the tropic humid climates tend to look alike whether its south asia, or africa, same with nothern arid climates, such as kazahkstan, or northern mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 19,006,430 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Vietnamese hill tribes are fascinating! There are indeed, Black tribes. When I worked at a university, a student turned up who was from one of those tribes. She looked African American, but she was actually Asian. That REALLY threw the minority student advisers for a loop. They actually didn't believe her. It didn't go well. But she was really bright and capable, her adoptive father was a Vietnam vet (Black). A really fascinating personal story. Knowing her motivated me to study the history of those tribes.

Jeez, I love human diversity!! Life would be very sad and boring without it.
In Vietnam I saw an old black and white Vietnamese movie set in some rural village, and one of the characters, a little girl, had darker skin, very curly hair and distinctly Malayo Polynesian or even negrito features! Certainly stood among the Viets with their straw straight hair. The natives of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines often look 'black' (although unrelated to Africans, of course) with very dark skin and kinky hair. Asians show a lot of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 19,006,430 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Meh this kind of stuff is bizarre, for one thing white people seem to be the most alike in terms of racials features, depending on who you call white. If arabs, berbers and iranians are considered white, there is a huge amount of diversity, if your just thinking british french german(which many people do), your getting a much smaller mix of peoples.

african isn`t even a race ironically, genetic evidence has proven that samilia`s, sudanese, south africans, berber, tuargeg, kameroon people are genetic very different, and if you have met many you can see very clear distincitions. This is not a product of mixes, which seems to be this repeated stick by so many people. Africans, are one of the least mixed groups of people on the planet, dude to a lack of easy to navigate water ways.

View Ababda's Posts

This is just from one area, aend it`s not a product of some arab influx, very little genetic evidence shows this, paler skin, and a roman nose, are not racial features, but common features for northern and arid enviroments.

By looking at a person it`s much easier to tell which biome of the earth they originate from than it is to tell which racial group they are from. People in the tropic humid climates tend to look alike whether its south asia, or africa, same with nothern arid climates, such as kazahkstan, or northern mexico.
Yes this idea of races as like primary colours, and everyone in between as being mixes of these, is probably inaccurate. It's related to ideas of racial purity, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,336 posts, read 18,367,370 times
Reputation: 22512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Vietnam I saw an old black and white Vietnamese movie set in some rural village, and one of the characters, a little girl, had darker skin, very curly hair and distinctly Malayo Polynesian or even negrito features! Certainly stood among the Viets with their straw straight hair. The natives of Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines often look 'black' (although unrelated to Africans, of course) with very dark skin and kinky hair. Asians show a lot of diversity.
Yeah, there are negrito tribes in the Philippines, like the Vietnamese black Montagnards. Melanesians are different, they have different characteristics from the Negritos. They're more Australoid. Then some of the Montagnards are Austronesian (ancestors of the Polynesians), completely different from the Negritos and from the Melanesians. A fair number of the Vietnamese Hill people were relocated to the US. There's a Montagnard association in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
 
3,544 posts, read 4,817,429 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, there are negrito tribes in the Philippines, like the Vietnamese black Montagnards. Melanesians are different, they have different characteristics from the Negritos. They're more Australoid. Then some of the Montagnards are Austronesian (ancestors of the Polynesians), completely different from the Negritos and from the Melanesians. A fair number of the Vietnamese Hill people were relocated to the US. There's a Montagnard association in the US.
I havent found any pics of Montagnards that look black. Many Negritos in the Philippines look somewhat African though, but most are mixed now


dong ho eskapo: their future their pride - aetas


Asia Finest Discussion Forum > Cute Aeta girl singing

Negritos in the Philippines, and Filipinos in general have admixture from both Melanesians and Negrito groups of Mainland Asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top