U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,234,741 times

Advertisements

I was born in Singapore but came here when I was an infant. It used to bug me a little bit (not that it was a huge deal), because I would've felt a bit more Australian if I was born here. Still, we don't make a big a deal out of whether you were born here or not, since nearly a quarter of us were not. In some parts of Sydney, over half were born overseas. I learned to take a sort of proud of 'belonging' to more than one country...I've always been very internationally orientated anyway. I'm a citizen of the world, an Earthling.

When I was 21 I had to 'renounce' my Singaporean citizenship (I'd got Australian citizenship when I was 12). While I sort of do identify as Singaporean a little through my mother, and have been back to visit many times, I only know Australia and consider myself an Australian. I'm also part Malaysian through my father, and for those who don't know Singapore was once part of Malaya (briefly independent Malaysia) before achieving independence in 1965. I don't speak any other languages aside from English.

While I'm very grateful to live in the 'Lucky Country', I do want to travel a lot and experience life in other countries.

What about you?

Last edited by Trimac20; 06-02-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM

459 posts, read 643,146 times
I was born in Pasadena, CA, USA, and have lived here in Southern California my whole life. I love LA--that's for sure--but I have traveled all over the country and world.

So no, I was born in the country that I hold my citizenship with.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,705 times
Hi 5 for SG and SYD!!!

I was born in Manila of the Phillippines, while my mother was visiting, and they did not allow her to fly back (to HK/China) as she was 8 months pregnant already.
I went back to HK/Shenzhen which is on the border with HK (like Johor Bahru in Singapore) when i was 1 month old.
Kindergarden was in China, up until Primary which my family then moved to Auckland New Zealand, and I now am a Kiwi and stayed until i was about 12.
My dad had wanted me to go back to China, but i was not accepted into Year 7 as my Chinese was extremely bad, so I went to SG instead. I stayed in SG and really was not familiar with the culture (however I believe I have made some of the best friends there as I went to an International School). And now I finally moved to Sydney Australia. I have been here since Year 9 and is now graduating High School. I however do find a better connection to Aus/NZ and only a semi-connection with SG/HK (as English is an official language) while I have extreme difficulties connecting with the Chinese culture. I guess I have no connection to PH at all... I haven't even been back there.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM

21,024 posts, read 22,289,197 times
Born in India. Living in the U.S. from a very young age. I'm an American citizen and identify as an American. But I think of myself as a free individual and enjoy travelling in many different countries.

Having said that, I am very grateful for the all the opportunities I have in my life for being an American. That will never change.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM

13 posts, read 29,879 times
I was born in Germany and spent a lot of time in England and Israel as well. Been living in the US for 9 years, though I am not a citizen (yet). I don't really feel attached to Germany in any way, other than having my family there, and I'd say I feel more American than anything else.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM

3,429 posts, read 8,074,058 times
I was born in Boston, MA but lived in Miami for 5 years...pretty much the transitional years from girl to woman.

I identify more with tropical Miami and Caribbean culture than with Boston culture now.

While both cities are in the U.S, Boston's culture is more similar to British culture from what I have gathered while Miami is a Tropical wonderland.

I'm currently living in Boston tho

Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,234,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huamii View Post
Hi 5 for SG and SYD!!!

I was born in Manila of the Phillippines, while my mother was visiting, and they did not allow her to fly back (to HK/China) as she was 8 months pregnant already.
I went back to HK/Shenzhen which is on the border with HK (like Johor Bahru in Singapore) when i was 1 month old.
Kindergarden was in China, up until Primary which my family then moved to Auckland New Zealand, and I now am a Kiwi and stayed until i was about 12.
My dad had wanted me to go back to China, but i was not accepted into Year 7 as my Chinese was extremely bad, so I went to SG instead. I stayed in SG and really was not familiar with the culture (however I believe I have made some of the best friends there as I went to an International School). And now I finally moved to Sydney Australia. I have been here since Year 9 and is now graduating High School. I however do find a better connection to Aus/NZ and only a semi-connection with SG/HK (as English is an official language) while I have extreme difficulties connecting with the Chinese culture. I guess I have no connection to PH at all... I haven't even been back there.
Wow lots of coincidences with my life actually! I was actually conceived in Manila, believe it or not, as my parents were briefly missionaries there for about a year. Then they moved back to KL and then Singapore. When I was six months, actually, they wanted to move to Sydney where my aunty was living but my dad had NZ PR so we lived in Auckland for six months! However, my parents had visited Perth and really liked it so decided to move there. After returning to Singapore briefly and having my sister, we settled in Perth when I was a year and a half and I've been here ever since. While Perth is home I've always longed to see and live in other parts of the world. I've done a bit of travelling but ideally would like to do something that exposes me to different places and cultures.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 PM

14,873 posts, read 19,055,510 times
USA and proud, could never live anywhere else.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 AM

39,016 posts, read 21,195,365 times
Born, raised and lived my entire life in Southern California. As much as I want to travel and see more of the world, I doubt that I could ever renounce my US citizenship.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM

2,933 posts, read 5,054,710 times
born in DF, mexico. raised in orange county california and hong kong. don't really feel attached to any country. i prefer living in asia but no major preference towards any one country, i like a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World