Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I have not seen any mention of Switzerland in this discussion? Everyone has guns there!!
Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 semi-auto rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[9]
But then, again, we don't see too many Swiss folks participating in discussions anywhere - forums, chat boards and what's not. I mean you see Germans quite often, French, Scandinavians, but Swiss...?
Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
There are guns in Norway too..

Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 PM

350 posts, read 848,248 times
Quote:
I have not seen any mention of Switzerland in this discussion? Everyone has guns there!!
Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 semi-auto rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[9]
Thats because it defies their hoplophobia. Much like the statistically minute number of crimes committed by people with concealed carry licenses.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,337 times
Quote:
Because they are all in military service or reserves It's a unique country.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
America, the vast majority of the people think its necessary to own a handgun for defence and if you don´t your considered "abnormal".
This is not at all true. It's only a small minority of Americans who own guns, and most want gun control, but they don't have a paid lobby like the pro-gun people do. In some parts of the country it may seem that the majority is pro-gun.
Thanks for your comparative info with Scotland and Spain, though.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:25 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is not at all true. It's only a small minority of Americans who own guns,
Yet they are the loudest crowd of them all)))

Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM

350 posts, read 848,248 times
Quote:
This is not at all true. It's only a small minority of Americans who own guns, and most want gun control,
Also not true at all.
From the Huffington Post, a liberal source: Gun Control Poll: Most Americans Support Right To Use Deadly Force, Have Favorable View Of NRA
and from Gallup Polling
Record-Low 26% in U.S. Favor Handgun Ban
which says only 26% of Americans support a handgun ban and only 43% support stricter laws on "assault weapons" and on gun sales. According to you, 43% is a "small minority" since that is approximately how many households in the US own guns.
The number of U.S. women who say household has a gun hits record high - latimes.com

Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
im not someone who holds much trust in the state so by and large im in favour of gun ownership

however , there appears to be a problem in the usa when it comes to vetting people , you dont get mass shootings in canada , australia or new zealand where gun ownership is high
it has alot to do with the distrust of the Govronment are not always looking out for the best interests of americans

Where they fear them and by default give up a bit of freedoms like Censorship on the internet or Domestic use of drones to spy on your everyday life without having to get your consent or having to have a valid reason to watch you.

The U.S. Media keeps America in a state of fear and coverage on what is going on the rest of the world is minimal..

I mean the 2012 election gets more coverage than our troops fighting and dying overseas..and there is no coverage on how it is going and what type of progress has made..

What is their opinion on being there and what do the troops think could be done better or what do they need to be safer and be more effective?

Ask them If staying their longer worth it or do they think there is not much more they could do and is putting them at Risk to stay longer going to be worth it?

How about the vetreans that served and how are they doing after they come back to the Civillian world and what can be done to help them and what do they need.

The Media over hypes things like Hurricane Irene where people panic when there was no where near the damage they said could happen...them made it sound like the whole eastren coast would be flooded. Of course people panic and it cause massive amounts of pepole to flee the coast to go inland then it turns out to be a catagory 1 once it made Landfall the media made it like a catagory 4 was coming.

the only reason we notice it is because 90% of TV programs Canada are American which means we watch the same TV shows on the same networks and get the same news feeds.

the Media plays on the public fears for ratings which means revenue but it creates a country where even though the U.S. hasve literally 40% of the worlds military might and some of the best trained troops and most advanced and modren military Equipment in the world there is still a culture of fear when it should have the opposite effect.

The U.S. is hard to explain since there is so much to it that it is hard put it in a way that Non Americans countries (except maybe us Canadians) to understand it all to explain the Gun culture in the U.S.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN
That appears not to be the case - every year, the Australian Bureau of Statistics produces a summary of crime from the previous year. From this year's report:

VICTIMISATION RATE

Quote:
In 2011, the Australian victimisation rates for selected person offence categories were:

Murder, 1.1 victims per 100,000 persons
That's actually close to a record low for Australia. During the 1990's, the murder rate was usually around 1.5 per 100,000 or a bit higher, which indicates a fairly significant drop since then.

But I don't think the revisions in the gun laws would have mattered either way, since ownership levels were always fairly low to begin with.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:30 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
This is not at all true. It's only a small minority of Americans who own guns, and most want gun control, but they don't have a paid lobby like the pro-gun people do. In some parts of the country it may seem that the majority is pro-gun.
Thanks for your comparative info with Scotland and Spain, though.
I spent a lot of time in NY and the people weren´t so into guns as the southerners. I lived in MS and spent a lot of time in AL and SC too. Seems like the majority of people I met or knew were totally for the whole guns for protection thing. However in Scotland in Spain that is not the case, so yeah I guess they are the "loudest crowd"

They used to mock me because I would say in my country we did not need to have a gun to go out and do things, like go shopping etc, it´s like people are so insecure. I didn´t feel comfortable at all. It´s like a ticking time bomb, sooner or later it will explode and some of the people are not fit to own a firearm. It´s also very easy to obtain one too, its shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World