Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times

Advertisements

India is probably the most conservative/modest country where modesty isn't excessively legally enforced when it comes to nudity. I don't think they even portrayed kissing in movies until about a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
India is probably the most conservative/modest country where modesty isn't excessively legally enforced when it comes to nudity. I don't think they even portrayed kissing in movies until about a decade ago.
Well at least Parents do not have to worry when they are watching a local movie with their kids. It is just so uncomfortable to watch a movie with kids when there are kissing/bed scenes.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well at least Parents do not have to worry when they are watching a local movie with their kids. It is just so uncomfortable to watch a movie with kids when there are kissing/bed scenes.
Not saying Indian movies are like this but when it comes to movie viewing with my kids kissing and bed scenes and even nudity (gasp!) is a lot more acceptable and innocuous than seeing someone get their head blown off. But that's not the way censorship or social mores work in quite a few parts of the world. What is OK and what is verboten seems completely out of whack sometimes.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not saying Indian movies are like this but when it comes to movie viewing with my kids kissing and bed scenes and even nudity (gasp!) is a lot more acceptable and innocuous than seeing someone get their head blown off. But that's not the way censorship or social mores work in quite a few parts of the world. What is OK and what is verboten seems completely out of whack sometimes.
I agree. When I was younger and even when I was a teen my parents were like 'close your eyes' whenever a kissing or sex scene would come on . As a kid I honestly didn't care for them, but I always felt they treated me like a baby.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
At the risk of having this guy step on me, I would say it's because Northern Ireland is probably more puritanical than the Med.

As a kid growing up, the Italian and Cuban parents in my area, and even the matter-of-fact German and French parents, used to laugh at some of the things we said as kids: "someone got hit in the nuts, large bazookas, etc.", as long as it wasn't out of control. I can tell you that the Irish-Catholic households did not care for such commentary, with one girl's uptight b itchy mother taking issue with my use of the term "pissed off." Her peaches and cream daughter, a friend, is now divorced. I wonder if her mother had a coronary from "losing face" and the "egregious" nature of the transgression upon Catholicism.
Some of those Irish-Americans should take a trip to Ireland and they will find the term "pissed off" very refined. The Irish use profanity in everyday speech and this has been the case for years. Feck is more common though than that other wellknown F word. I wonder what they would make of Mrs Brown's Boys in the US?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
Quote:
But in some ways, it's socially enforced. I am not sure if the repression has something to do with the apparent increased number of rape cases in India.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
But in some ways, it's socially enforced. I am not sure if the repression has something to do with the apparent increased number of rape cases in India.
Modesty is "socially enforced" in just about every society.

And just because you don't hear about something on the news doesn't mean it wasn't happening prior. Common sense.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
Quote:
Modesty is "socially enforced" in just about every society.

And just because you don't hear about something on the news doesn't mean it wasn't happening prior. Common sense.
It is "socially enforced" in other societies, but in India and some countries, there are honor killings which makes social enforcement more stringent than legal enforcement.

Yes, there are many rape cases in India you hear in the news now. I am perfectly aware that it doesn't mean it didn't happen prior. After all, if they are sexually repressed now, they were also sexually repressed in the past. I am just wondering if that sexually repression has any correlation with the rape cases.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree. When I was younger and even when I was a teen my parents were like 'close your eyes' whenever a kissing or sex scene would come on . As a kid I honestly didn't care for them, but I always felt they treated me like a baby.
Where I live mainstream TV networks think nothing of showing children's programming on weekend mornings where you have cartoons showing little boys naked with their penises visible and bare-breasted women.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
I say woman in particular must have respect for their bodies by covering up. However, I would not go as far as Muslim beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World