Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
The Sauna thing is a striking difference between the northern countries and down here.

Spoiler

Once I did a research for sauna places in Bologna and I found this:

Associazione Steam Sauna – Sauna Spa Gay & Bar a Bologna | Associazione Steam Sauna – Sauna Spa Gay & Bar a Bologna

I mean, they probably would let me enter after I sign up for membership but I'm not sure my girlfriend could come with me

Then there's this:

Black Sauna Bologna

and #3:

Home - Cosmos Club Sauna

I'd really like to go to the sauna here sometimes, but I should be a bit more open on some intimate levels and I'm not sure I'm really into this.
The fully nude sauna thing is not common here in Norway. I think it is more of a Finnish and Swedish phenomenon. I would never visit a sauna without a towel around my waist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 01:30 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I would never visit a sauna without a towel around my waist.
Then you aren't invited into my sauna.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:34 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
I am not planning to visit a Finnish or Swedish sauna any time soon.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:32 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The fully nude sauna thing is not common here in Norway. I think it is more of a Finnish and Swedish phenomenon. I would never visit a sauna without a towel around my waist.
My point was that Saunas here are automatically viewed as a sexual encounter place, and mostly gay. There are regular swimming pools with saunas included though.

In France it is a bit better, but nudist saunas are almost always viewed as sexual places, and regular "serious" saunas are usually bathsuit-only. Only in Alsace nudist saunas are the norm, since it's culturally very german.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:36 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As mentioned previously some time ago here I predicted that the rise in devout believers of non-Christian religions in western countries is leading to a "me too" effect among Christians who are today emboldened to perhaps demand more accommodation in the public sphere for their beliefs than they might have in the recent past.

Here is an interesting example from France, the hitherto traditional land of "here-is-full-frontal-nudity-on-your-TV-to-accompany-your-breakfast-cereal":

http://www.leparisien.fr/senlis-6030...17-7279779.php

For those who can't read French: a Catholic school demanded and obtained the censorship of a (IMO fairly innocuous) movie poster that it considered to be inappropriate.

Are people still going to tell me that my little theory is bunk?
I completely agree with that theory, having been to demonstrations for gay marriage a few years back and witnessing the attitude of catholic extremists. These people suddenly found allies in the muslim extremist movement. Attitudes toward sex were a lot more relaxed 20 years ago.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
I had a bit of a surprise once, when I was in the US on a student exchange programme. One of the Youth Hostels I was staying at, had communal showers!

Being British, I kept my towel firmly on whilst taking a shower! And it's the only time I've showered whilst wearing a towel. I just wasn't expecting it of the US.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:48 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I had a bit of a surprise once, when I was in the US on a student exchange programme. One of the Youth Hostels I was staying at, had communal showers!

Being British, I kept my towel firmly on whilst taking a shower! And it's the only time I've showered whilst wearing a towel. I just wasn't expecting it of the US.
But were the communal showers in a single-gender bathroom? I wouldn't mind if that's the case.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 695 times
Default Not just Christians.

I see some people blaming Christians, and maybe true for some of the censorship here in the states. The fact that you have large groups of people attacking whatever they seem as wrong or offensive to them. I am a Christian and I don't mind seeing the male or female form on tv. Even if it is sex and as long as it's not degrading God told us to fruitful and multiply and the age we live in some people can watch and learn what it is that love making is and not a casual F*ck.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:30 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
But were the communal showers in a single-gender bathroom? I wouldn't mind if that's the case.
Well, I thought I was going into a female-only shower room. But when I got in there, a couple of blokes were in there, what us Brits would describe as “Stark b*ll*ck naked”!

I didn’t know who these blokes were - whether they were boyfriends of the girls staying there, or what. But I didn’t hang around to find out. I had the quickest shower ever - complete with towel wrapped around me!

It’s nice to know that you like communal showers though! Good for you!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 PM

817 posts, read 596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I believe in Israel there are none or perhaps 1-2 max. nude beaches as it is not really acceptable culturally or socially.
Norms regarding nudity are fairly relaxed and European in most of Israel, but nude bathing just never really caught on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World