Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
Not sure if you're agreeing with me....

Basically, freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM it, as some dimwits believe. I don't suppose people are religious here simply for the joy of being bashed?
No, I disagree. Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion.

It means that you can believe in any religion or no religion at all. That follows directly from our Constitution and has been upheld in courts.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 PM

459 posts, read 723,920 times
I don't want to start a debate on the matter, as I've said (which would effectively derail the thread further). All I will say is that yes, freedom from religion is guaranteed for those that don't want it, not supposed mandated for all as it is now.

Again, I urge posters to continue on the THREAD'S TOPIC.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM

311 posts, read 605,641 times
This is off-topic; the USA has freedom of religion according to the first amendment, and it does not mention freedom from religion. Freedom from religion is an atheistic term which is misleading.

Please go back to topic now.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM

244 posts, read 592,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Actually many Europeans are jealous of America and would LOVE to live here if they could have, especially after visiting Los Angeles/Orange County, Miami and NYC area.
Using the word "jealous" is a hyper-exaggeration and insanely unfair. Majority of my European friends who do live in the states are doing so simply for an experience, equally how many Americans study or work abroad for an experience, and they (99%) have no intention of making the US their permanent home. Then also speaking for my European friends back in Europe, almost all of them, have zero intention or interest in living in the US, even the ones who have visited, and many were if anything turned off by it. I also know many Americans who have left the US to live in Europe, me being one of them, as well as two of my sisters. It is so pretentious and arrogant, and stupid frankly to make the statements you are making...your opinion is your own, but stating your opinions or skewed preceptions as facts is absurd. You are one of the answers to the original question you asked on this thread.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM

13 posts, read 33,656 times
Quote:
Don't turn it into a religious debate. Keep that elsewhere.

Just a little note to you guys, though: I'm not sure where liberals get off on the idea that they can be so much more superior to others while they themselves proclaim that all are equal. The U.S. was NOT founded to be atheistic. It is also not suitable to be overly THEISTIC. As a nation, it is about the middle, or should be.

But it's that offending, arrogant tone and superior, condescending speech that makes Americans not like you.
Not off topic in the least. OP asked why some people dislike the U.S. That's my answer. Also, if you gathered that I was being arrogant, superior, or condescending from that short post, you over analyzed it, friend.

Continue with the "related" answers.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Actually many Europeans are jealous of America and would LOVE to live here if they could have, especially after visiting Los Angeles/Orange County, Miami and NYC area.
Some, yes, but most, no.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Don't turn it into a religious debate. Keep that elsewhere.

Just a little note to you guys, though: I'm not sure where liberals get off on the idea that they can be so much more superior to others while they themselves proclaim that all are equal. The U.S. was NOT founded to be atheistic. It is also not suitable to be overly THEISTIC. As a nation, it is about the middle, or should be.

But it's that offending, arrogant tone and superior, condescending speech that makes Americans not like you.
This is a tread about why people dislike the US or think it is a bad place to live - I am giving some insight as to why that might be - far too much religion.

Of course people can believe whatever they want, but some of us don't like to be bombarded by it on a daily basis.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
The main reason why some Americans struggle is because they don't want to sell their 3-4 cars they have in their household, they don't want to sell their big house into smaller one, they don't want to save money, etc. unlike how Europeans typically live.
This is ridiculous. If they're struggling, they wouldn't have 3-4 cars. The people who foolishly went on a buying binge by taking out a second mortgage on their home cant sell their toys now to save their lives, no one's buying. Lots of people have down=sized their homes. I don't know what segment of the population you're observing, but people who aren't downsizing aren't the ones who are struggling.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This is a tread about why people dislike the US or think it is a bad place to live - I am giving some insight as to why that might be - far too much religion.

Of course people can believe whatever they want, but some of us don't like to be bombarded by it on a daily basis.
Where do you live that you get bombarded by religion? I've lived on the West Coast and Southwest all my life and have never heard a peep about religion. Are you in the Bible Belt? The Midwest?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The U.S. was NOT founded to be atheistic. It is also not suitable to be overly THEISTIC. As a nation, it is about the middle, or should be.
The founders of the US felt strongly that government should be secular. What the population itself did was not relevant to the founders' work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World