Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times

Advertisements

Hey Oleg. I see you're back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

we have people who originated from every part of the planet- and we all get along for the most part..You can walk one block and get the feel of 10 nations---Try that in sterile Germany....
eh?

List of countries by foreign-born population in 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't know where you got the idea you have to work at a company for 10 years to get 3 weeks vacation. I worked at a company (an ordinary job) and after one year an employee gets 2 weeks paid vacation and after two years, 3 weeks paid vacation.

Kroger, Wal Mart, other retail stores and companies etc.

As for your last comment, how do you know there is "no such thing?" Do you know everything about the universe?
It's called sanity and common sense. Haven't seen the earth from outer space myself, but I still know it's not flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I would love to see America pull any and everything out of all of the EU and then call Putin and tell him as long as he stops at the Atlantic we don't care what he does......You would all be crying for the US to come back in a week.......
You mean they want this to happen again?

World War II casualties of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post

I don't slag other nations unless they deserve it. For instance, I love America and I always want to live here. But England and Ireland are awesome. Germany's cool. Greece is nice. Even Albania probably has its highlights. They all have problems, so do we. Don't ACT like they're not there.
That's how you fail to make your case. "They got issues, but so do we. But somehow we are still better". You need some arguments.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You also need to take responsibility for your actions. The surest route to poverty is having out of wedlock children, yet for certain segments of the population, this is a way of life.

Do you think children in a single-parent household are more secure from poverty just because their parents were married once? It's the 21st century. What the hell does wedlock have to do with anything? What does it "lock"?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Some, yes, but most, no.
How do you know that?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

It's called sanity and common sense. Haven't seen the earth from outer space myself, but I still know it's not flat.
I was employed by a private company.

Sanity and common sense means admitting you don't know everything about Earth and outer space.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
How do you know that?
He lives in Europe. As do I, and I have never heard of anyone who dreams of living in the US. Honestly, public discourse about the US is mostly negative. I don't understand where you people get the idea from that everyone is jealous of the US, it's absurd.

Quote:
Sanity and common sense means admitting you don't know everything about Earth and outer space.
Exactly, and it makes no sense to believe in something with no evidence whatsoever to support that belief. Dogma of any kind is irrational, whether it's religion or nationalism (to link it back to the thread topic).

Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being Canadian I notice there is a general dislike and contempt for America by those who only know the nation through Hollywood- through media and through what happens outside of America that involves Americans.

Never thought that I would get to the point of loving America, but lately I am starting to feel that way- The great opportunity through electronic communication to experience the American mind from Texas to Alaska has brought me to the point that I have a good general over view of what the spirit of America is...and I like what I see- The problem is and always has been presentation- if AMERICA was a great artist- You need a new agent- For some strange reason your media is so profit driven that sensationalism - bad news...and freakishness sells- and this media because it is so dependent of sensationalism - Misrepresents who and what America truly is. Americans are good normal - kind- intelligent people...like any other nation- that has good normal-kind - intelligent people...I love you guys---and if I were not a citizen here- I would be one there.
This is a big problem in many countries around the world, but I am sure the USA suffers more than most.

Hear about the only things we ever hear about the USA has to do with war, politics, finance (most of it bad these days) and the occasional school shooting.

Personally the thing I don't like the most about the US is the way US political interest and political correctness groups seem to think that because something is said or done in a particular way in the USA, that its worlds best practice and the rest of the world should just automatically follow suit.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-14-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,950,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you think living near to rich people makes poor people happy

i could be wrong of course , americans are different
Probably some weird form of American thinking that living near rich will somehow provide incentive to the less fortunate to lift themselves up.

American naviety at its best....

Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I like the U.S. and feel it's a very good country to live in (I have my preferences on where exactly though). However, I'm curious why you think no other country offers what the U.S. does. Not even other developed western countries do?
Some Aussies think the same way. A rather over patriotic take on things. One may not want to live elsewhere but to think no other country has as much or more to offer is nonsense. Many hundreds of thousands of Americans living abroad are an example as to why this is wrong.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That just reminded me of a few more things I get annoyed about being in America.

Way too many people sit in their 'fortresses', with weekends devoted to filling up their fortress with as many consumer goods as they can possibly find.

Since the cities/towns have so little to offer. Not walkable, few public meeting places, few places to just 'spend time with other people. People instead get funneled into driving around, parking in parking lots, and strolling around shopping malls and big shopping stores....browsing around weekend after weekend, and acculating more stuff to bring home.

When they aren't looking for parking spaces, they're sitting at home watching TV, it seems. Not a whole lot else to do. Most American cities/towns aren't designed to do much more than get a person out to a mall or wal-mart, but a few things, pick up a bit of fastfood, and hurry back to get to a TV, back in the fortress of consumer garbage.

That being said, if a person's interests actually are centered around watching tv, and buying stuff at big box stores to bring home...than the U.S. is perfect for that kind of lifestyle, all the way. Not so conducive to more interaction with others, socializing with others in meaningful ways, etc.
Not a particularly inspiring lifestyle by any means. Just odd why those living there would imagine why those of us living in another world would want any part of living like that.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Most people around the world hates America (Or it's citizens) probably never set foot on America, and only learns about it through media.
I don't think too many in the West hate America(ians). Do find the folk a little naive and unworldly though and some how innocent. Sounds patronising I know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World