U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,022 posts, read 3,311,971 times
Reputation: 2796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My experience is this:

If you're intelligent and very hard working, then you will almost certainly go far in America regardless of your background.
You also need to take responsibility for your actions. The surest route to poverty is having out of wedlock children, yet for certain segments of the population, this is a way of life.

Quote:
However, it appears that not everyone can live up to those dreams (or maybe they just don't want to). It's a different reality for those people.
It's really not. Generally speaking, the poor in this country do not live miserably.

 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,578 posts, read 4,979,813 times
Reputation: 8979
Being Canadian I notice there is a general dislike and contempt for America by those who only know the nation through Hollywood- through media and through what happens outside of America that involves Americans.


Never thought that I would get to the point of loving America, but lately I am starting to feel that way- The great opportunity through electronic communication to experience the American mind from Texas to Alaska has brought me to the point that I have a good general over view of what the spirit of America is...and I like what I see- The problem is and always has been presentation- if AMERICA was a great artist- You need a new agent- For some strange reason your media is so profit driven that sensationalism - bad news...and freakishness sells- and this media because it is so dependent of sensationalism - Misrepresents who and what America truly is. Americans are good normal - kind- intelligent people...like any other nation- that has good normal-kind - intelligent people...I love you guys---and if I were not a citizen here- I would be one there.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,750 posts, read 18,667,002 times
Reputation: 22794
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
It's funny to see people (Who I bet never even been to America) judge the country so bad by listening to the media.

Yes, I agree that it sucks being poor or low-income in America, but so does it suck being poor in other western countries as well. At least the big plus from poor people in America is that they get to live in a beautiful country, and at least live near wealthier areas and get to see rich people. At least the future is bright in America, and everybody has the opportunity to get an educated and become wealthier. Yes, there is financial aid in universities as well.
The poor "get to see rich people"? You perceive this as some sort of benefit, or privilege even? Studies show that being conscious of one's poverty by being in proximity to wealth, or having wealth portrayed on TV actually causes more dissatisfaction than living among people who are all of the same economic level. Kids don't know they're poor unless someone puts images of wealth in their heads. To kids, poverty is just the way life is, unless they see a different way of life. The poor don't need to view you and bask in your self-satisfied aura in order to feel better about themselves, sorry to burst your bubble. A supportive family and community, plus a good education and opportunity for higher education is all the poor need.

How would they know that they're living in a beautiful country if they can't afford to travel and see it? You're post makes absolutely no sense.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
32,750 posts, read 18,667,002 times
Reputation: 22794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being Canadian I notice there is a general dislike and contempt for America by those who only know the nation through Hollywood- through media and through what happens outside of America that involves Americans.
America also over-markets itself, it pushes its culture and products on people around the world, which builds resentment. Good point, Oleg.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,022 posts, read 3,311,971 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Oh God. You sound like a flaming politician. That last statement, God Bless America, I haven't heard that in ages.

But anyway, I think America has a sound QOL. However, the only reason why we are famous is because we have shoved that down every other country's throat.
We haven't shoved anything down anyone's throat. That's just ridiculous.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,022 posts, read 3,311,971 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
America also over-markets itself, it pushes its culture and products on people around the world, which builds resentment. Good point, Oleg.

I think the fact that America is made up of people from around the world that it makes our products and culture more palatable to people from around the world.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: USA
2,134 posts, read 1,534,620 times
Reputation: 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The poor "get to see rich people"? You perceive this as some sort of benefit, or privilege even? Studies show that being conscious of one's poverty by being in proximity to wealth, or having wealth portrayed on TV actually causes more dissatisfaction than living among people who are all of the same economic level. Kids don't know they're poor unless someone puts images of wealth in their heads. To kids, poverty is just the way life is, unless they see a different way of life. The poor don't need to view you and bask in your self-satisfied aura in order to feel better about themselves, sorry to burst your bubble. A supportive family and community, plus a good education and opportunity for higher education is all the poor need.

How would they know that they're living in a beautiful country if they can't afford to travel and see it? You're post makes absolutely no sense.
You cite dissatisfaction like it's a bad thing. I think it couldn't be further from the truth. Here's an example.

I got a nice fat bonus this year for all my hard work. Hurray for me. I took the family on a wonderful 8-day cruise, our first ever, and thoroughly enjoyed. I was talking to my boss about it and she said she goes on cruises every year. This brought a feeling of strong dissatisfaction with my current salary. It spurred me to work even harder so I can keep the fat bonuses coming. Was this a bad thing for me or my family? Absolutely not.

If I lived in a bubble, only surrounded by people in the same economic level as myself, I might just plod along the same as always and never strive for better. Some would think that's a good thing, but I disagree.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,578 posts, read 4,979,813 times
Reputation: 8979
Media also do a disservice to young black citizens. Videos and movies show black folks living the good life- when the reality is that most blacks barely get by. The illusion carries a message of false hope...One poster mentioned that America over markets itself abroad- well they are right they also over market themselves internally on a domestic level. It's one of the defects of capitalism- profit for profits sake with no real purpose in mind while generating the cash- I just wish a more practical approach was used...Like that of a diligent young hard working person- Who target exactly what they want or need- focus on that- work and get the funds and achieve a specific goal or the purchase of a specific thing.

As it stands the nation as a whole is like a family of super poor while the rich relatives are hoarders. You have to know what you want and what you want to work for- AMERICA has forgotten what it wants and are purified capitalists have distilled minds overly focused on accumulation of wealth..the storage of it- It's like an insecure old king who has filled the barns with wheat and has no faith in the future- so he hoards while the nation starves. YOU have enough money- I am not talking about "re-distribution" of wealth- I am talking about investing- in ourselves. That does not seem to be happening- Our business fathers are investing in other national families abroad and neglecting their own.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,022 posts, read 3,311,971 times
Reputation: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Media also do a disservice to young black citizens. Videos and movies show black folks living the good life- when the reality is that most blacks barely get by. The illusion carries a message of false hope...One poster mentioned that America over markets itself abroad- well they are right they also over market themselves internally on a domestic level. It's one of the defects of capitalism- profit for profits sake with no real purpose in mind while generating the cash- I just wish a more practical approach was used...Like that of a diligent young hard working person- Who target exactly what they want or need- focus on that- work and get the funds and achieve a specific goal or the purchase of a specific thing.

As it stands the nation as a whole is like a family of super poor while the rich relatives are hoarders. You have to know what you want and what you want to work for- AMERICA has forgotten what it wants and are purified capitalists have distilled minds overly focused on accumulation of wealth..the storage of it- It's like an insecure old king who has filled the barns with wheat and has no faith in the future- so he hoards while the nation starves. YOU have enough money- I am not talking about "re-distribution" of wealth- I am talking about investing- in ourselves. That does not seem to be happening- Our business fathers are investing in other national families abroad and neglecting their own.
Hmmm, I don't see it.

and you had such a good post before this one.
 
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Whiterun (Skyrim)
1,435 posts, read 917,944 times
Reputation: 1040
Most people around the world hates America (Or it's citizens) probably never set foot on America, and only learns about it through media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top