Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,199,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Also, I don't understand why people think U.S. cities are "dirty." Some parts of them are, like the ghettos (but there's no reason for most visitors to go there).

But usually where the tourists go and where the main visitor attractions are, the cities are pretty clean and well-kept.
I disagree.
And please don't blame it all on being "ghettos".
Nice attempt at deflection.

Try driving to Yosemite.
Look at all of the cigarette butt litter in all of the viewing spots.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,199,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
To be fair, I don't think there is any country in the world with perfect equality for its citizens. When it comes to women's rights, the US is among the most advanced in the world. In Switzerland women didn't have the right to vote until the late 1980s/1990 in some cantons, just to put it in perspective.
Nope.
Best and Worst Countries for Women, From Iceland to the U.S. to Pakistan and Afghanistan - The Daily Beast
The World's Best Countries for Women - NYTimes.com
United States Ranked 19th in Gender Equality | Change.org News

Old 06-17-2012, 07:20 PM

27,296 posts, read 28,371,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I disagree.
And please don't blame it all on being "ghettos".
Nice attempt at deflection.

Try driving to Yosemite.
Look at all of the cigarette butt litter in all of the viewing spots.
Here's a street view of Washington D.C.:

1500 H St NW, Washington, DC - Google Maps

You can look around 180 degrees. Go up and down the streets. Would you consider this clean or dirty?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM

383 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Quote:

You can look around 180 degrees. Go up and down the streets. Would you consider this clean or dirty?
That looks very clean, but deathly boring. Is that the city centre?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 PM

2,885 posts, read 5,222,929 times
Quote:
I have not been to Portland or the Pacific Northwest. The closest I've been is northern California. That whole area has beautiful natural scenery. Most people from Portland do like to tell everyone how great their city is. So, I guess they must be right. lol.
My cousins did a tour of the US for 6 weeks (with their parents) and they travelled all across the country, visiting most of the well-known cities like NYC, LA, Las Vegas and Miami but also some of the lesser known. They told me their favourite cities were Portland, Oregon and Boston, Massachusetts. My cousins look very 'nordic' (light blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin that doesn't tan, very tall) so a lot of people would randomly start a conversation with them and ask them where they were from and what they thought of the US. Their impression of Americans was that they're very friendly and open.

Quote:

That looks very nice (and clean ). I can't believe how wide the streets and pavements are compared to where I live, it's more than double the size I'm not much of a hero on the road anyway but I'd be scared to drive in Washington with 3/4 rows of cars next to me. Is it like that everywhere?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM

311 posts, read 603,974 times
Quote:
My cousins did a tour of the US for 6 weeks (with their parents) and they travelled all across the country, visiting most of the well-known cities like NYC, LA, Las Vegas and Miami but also some of the lesser known. They told me their favourite cities were Portland, Oregon and Boston, Massachusetts. My cousins look very 'nordic' (light blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin that doesn't tan, very tall) so a lot of people would randomly start a conversation with them and ask them where they were from and what they thought of the US. Their impression of Americans was that they're very friendly and open.

That looks very nice (and clean ). I can't believe how wide the streets and pavements are compared to where I live, it's more than double the size I'm not much of a hero on the road anyway but I'd be scared to drive in Washington with 3/4 rows of cars next to me. Is it like that everywhere?
North American roads are wider than European. That's why I said the size is a matter too for part of quality of life and beauty of a place.

You're welcome to visit America

Yeah, Americans in general are very friendly and polite.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times
D.C looks clean.. but I prefer Boston; it has a European street layout.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,399,519 times
Another clean american city
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Minne...,22.99,,0,-1.9

Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM

2,885 posts, read 5,222,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
North American roads are wider than European. That's why I said the size is a matter too for part of quality of life and beauty of a place.
It's a matter of preference, bigger is not necessarily better. I think the European historical streets and alleys are very charming, though they're not always convenient.

Quote:
You're welcome to visit America
I would love to but I don't have the money right now, I'm still in University

Quote:
Yeah, Americans in general are very friendly and polite.
So I've heard. Dutch people are more reserved but once you get to know them, they're open and friendly as well (I think that goes for Northern Europeans in general).

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM

27,296 posts, read 28,371,143 times
Quote:
That area is about 3 blocks from the White House. I remember I used to be uncomfortable driving in D.C. too when I first started out back in the day. Then, after a while, I just stopped worrying about it and went with the flow. lol. The city also has a metro system (underground rail) with good coverage, so you don't really have to drive most places to get around in the city limits.

BTW, I've been to Amsterdam and thought it was a nice city as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World