U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,487,177 times
150 a week is a weekly wage for millions in the UK, not a great wage but not everyone earns a great wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,396,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
150 a week is a weekly wage for millions in the UK, not a great wage but not everyone earns a great wage.
Not if you were working full-time. 6.08 (minimum wage assuming we're talking about people over 22 years old) x 40 = 243.20, minus whatever tax you would pay on that (I don't know how much but I can't imagine it would be that high - I bet you'd be taking home over 200, not that that's a lot).

My problem with the benefits system in this country is how complicated it is (though I believe the Govermment is in the process of streamlining it?...) with all the different kinds of benefits there are. I just went on the benefits advice website to see what there is available for working poor re. housing benefit/tax credits/help with council tax and I just got horrendously confused, though the help seems to be there. I bet people on minimum wage/part-time who earn 150 a week and who know the system can claim for all sorts of things.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Not if you were working full-time. 6.08 (minimum wage assuming we're talking about people over 22 years old) x 40 = 243.20, minus whatever tax you would pay on that (I don't know how much but I can't imagine it would be that high - I bet you'd be taking home over 200, not that that's a lot).

My problem with the benefits system in this country is how complicated it is (though I believe the Govermment is in the process of streamlining it?...) with all the different kinds of benefits there are. I just went on the benefits advice website to see what there is available for working poor re. housing benefit/tax credits/help with council tax and I just got horrendously confused, though the help seems to be there. I bet people on minimum wage/part-time who earn 150 a week and who know the system can claim for all sorts of things.
I was talking about young people and part time workers.

You wouldn't be able to claim any benefits if you earned 150 a week.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,396,057 times
Quote:
I don't know about anybody's specific situation or how much you can and can't earn to get anything or how old you have to be but I'm sure there is some help out there for working people on low incomes - according to this article I found on housing benefit:
Quote:
Since November 2008, the proportion of housing benefit claimants in work has increased from 10 per cent to 17 per cent, while the overall number of in-work claimants has doubled from 430,000 to 865,000.
I can't see how low-income working families could afford to live in most parts of somewhere like London with such high rents otherwise without claiming some kind of benefits.

Majority of new housing benefit claimants in work | News | Inside Housing

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM

London is a unique for housing benefits though. You may get ''low income allowance'' but you will still have to pay your some yourself. And you may get housing benefit if you are on a very low wage, but that is the fair thing to do in a 1st world country!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,374,898 times
In Australia the welfare payments and theres like millions of different payments are all very lavish..

I know people who live of the welfare payment and usualy have 1 working person in the house (cash money) and they they have much much better lives then the hard working, poor middle class..

In Australia, you can receive a single payment of over $500 (AUD) (pension) per week, now don't be fooled, everyone is on that pension, you go and say your back hurts and you cannot work bla bla bla.. and you become a pension, and then your partner/friend/wife/husband etc becomes the carer and this person also receives another $500 per week!!.. children (each child) receive about $100 per week and mothers also receive $80 per week..

Old 07-06-2012, 04:37 PM

14,435 posts, read 7,935,329 times
Quote:

If you have children under the age of 16 you can claim child tax credit. Also it depends on who is in your household.. if you earn 150 but there's someone else in your household bringing in money, then you cannot, but if you're the only one earning (especially with children), yes you can.

Also, there's plenty of full-time workers over the age of 22 who earn around 150 a week. I know a fellow who only earns 7,000 a year, who obviously gets government help, and my friend has a 16 year old child and roughly earns 800 a month which is just under 10,000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World