U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: where is better to live overall experience
stockholm sweden 9 45.00%
gothernberg sweden 6 30.00%
california usa 10 50.00%
new york usa 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM

13,708 posts, read 7,054,736 times
Sweden has lots of immigrants, Stockholm for example is over 20% foreign born.. I'm sure they are highly tolerant of different life styles.. in fact, I am certain they are, and they are probably a lot more accepting of things such as homosexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 PM

65 posts, read 87,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
The only thing similar between Sweden, New York, and California are that all 3 not only possess amazing cities they also possess breathtaking natural scenery as well.
Amazing cities in Sweden, where?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Stockholm and Gothenburg are beautiful and clean.. Stockholm is incredibly diverse too.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM

13,351 posts, read 38,741,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankypanky1 View Post
is it true in sweden you gotta do things the swedish way.. in u.s.a you can do wat u want.. u can live american dream.. lol

sweden looks better on paper than real life.. and you never know where you stand with swedes.. with americans they give it to you straight.. swedes are difficult to get.. becuz their culture is really different... the swedes are ill-mannered apparently the spit on the streets and push other people out the way they dont wear shoes at home and they dont have curtains or blinds... i dont think i can ADAPT to the swedish way of things.. for a few good things going for sweden like most environemtally-friendly place and nice scenery... there are more bad things going aginst it such as customs, manners... and also learning swedish language is too time-consuming... maybe Sweden is worth a visit.. but Cali seems better for someone like me
This is the most prejudiced post so far!
Do you really believe in all this crap?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Sweden has lots of immigrants, Stockholm for example is over 20% foreign born.. I'm sure they are highly tolerant of different life styles.. in fact, I am certain they are, and they are probably a lot more accepting of things such as homosexuality.
Stockholm is 26% foreign born, with a range of languages such as Bosnian, Syriac, Arabic, Turkish, Kurdish, Persian, Dutch, Spanish, Serbian and Croatian.

Gothenburg - 22% foreign born.
Malmo - 30% foreign born.

Sweden is not the homogenous society Americans make it out to be..

Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 AM

What the hell are you talking about?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 AM

546 posts, read 500,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Better weather, less expensive, more diverse? That's a matter of opinion. There are a LOT of things in the US that are more expensive than Europe, particularly healthcare, mobile phone contracts and fresh food. The US is good if you're wealthy or upper middle class, otherwise I would rather be in Sweden or Denmark for that matter. I also prefer the northern European climate to pretty much every climate on earth, though I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

As for diversity, Sweden is a pretty diverse country. Just look at their football team as an example - Zlatan Ibrahinovic (their most famous world class player) is 1/2 Croatian and 1/2 Bosnian. Sweden has taken in many recent immigrants from Iraq, for example.

Dragon

Yes, healthcare is far cheaper, even private healtchare. As to fresh food (fish, produce and non-junk-food quality restaurants).....well, the US is way cheaper. As to diversity, Sweden has taken many refugees since Olof Palme, but they live in big cities..some in ghettos..and some have not worked during the last 30 years...
If you like the weather, people and language, then it's your kind of place..
But even if you know English, you'll need Swedish to live a normal life....
I know Sweden because I have family there, but I would not live more than 2 weeks there (I'm more of a med slug).

Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 AM

I know some Americans who live in Sweden who don't know Swedish, they tell me the Swedes will switch to English when they hear the American accent.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 PM

7,491 posts, read 6,943,110 times
They will switch to English beacuse they are happy to do so. Most swedes speak English pretty good. My husband have tried to learn Swedish and whenever we go back to Sweden he tries to speak Swedish with people. To him that is important. So even if swedes are happy to speak English it is always nice if people apply themself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World