Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:55 PM

13,032 posts, read 24,548,061 times

Advertisements

Frankfurt
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Milton Keynes
Las Vegas

Plenty more than those above though, just a few on my personal list. I I have visited all the above and lived in one and I would rather stick needles in my eyes than live in any of the above....

Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,155,952 times
Las Vegas? This is getting silly now. Even if you hate gambling and shopping, there's endless other things to do. Concerts and shows of all kinds, fine dining, tons of outdoor recreation nearby, spas, nightlife of every type imaginable. It isn't for everyone's tastes, same w/Glasgow, but just because you don't care for a place doesn't qualify it as boring. I hated Amsterdam but I would call it overrated - not boring.

Also, Milton Keynes is not a major city by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM

6,457 posts, read 8,116,336 times
I cannot take the OP seriously. The guy has not even been to Europe.

Cities I have visited:

Zaragoza, Spain
Bilbao, Spain. The Guggenheim Museum is the only attraction.

I am not a fan of Las Vegas but I would not call it boring. Living there would be hell, though.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,089,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Las Vegas? This is getting silly now. Even if you hate gambling and shopping, there's endless other things to do. Concerts and shows of all kinds, fine dining, tons of outdoor recreation nearby, spas, nightlife of every type imaginable. It isn't for everyone's tastes, same w/Glasgow, but just because you don't care for a place doesn't qualify it as boring. I hated Amsterdam but I would call it overrated - not boring.

Well said.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM

5,882 posts, read 5,806,090 times
Quote:
Omaha isn't a major city, it's as provincial as all get out. (Spent 25 years there so I know.) It IS boring but it doesn't belong in this poll. I would think a place would at least have to have an international airport to be considered as a contender, otherwise you could go on for pages about all the boring mid-sized cities of the world.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Stuttgart, Germany
Singapore
Zurich, Switzerland
Abu Dhabi
I know and would agree all these cities are boring. In the case of Zurich and Stuttgart it is more about what is within very easy access to these cities which are boring.

I agree both Perth and Adelaide are boring.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've never been to Adelaide, but it appears to be so dull and uninteresting compared to Sydney and Melbourne.. I think the fact that it also lacks a skyline at all makes it look like a medium sized city rather than a city with more than a million people.. maybe I'm wrong, but I need other people's opinions too.
Lots of Aussies from out of town knock Adelaide for being boring. Even those that live in Perth,a little unfairly I think.
Adelaide is a well laid out city and has but somewhat staid. It is the most affordable mainland city now in which to life. It is also only several hours drive to Melbourne and has some lovely places in the hills.
It is nice but far removed from much excitment and rather boring.
Saying that those that like an uncomplicated quiet sort of life then it could be worth the effort. Glenelg,the beach suburb is rather nice........

Perth meanwhile is way overpriced being the capital of the state with the main mining boom and is about making bucks but find much missing. Good climate if you like hot summers, nice beaches but rather devoid of much else.
A rather naval gazing sort of place where a small but influencial group seem to dictate the works. Very important who one knows. Not quite as laid back as ones first impression may be.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Auckland NZ is the most boring city in the entire universe, next to say, somewhere in the Eastern Bloc.

Adelaide Australia is NOT BORING. This is a fallacy that we encourage other states to believe to keep them away...fortunately, it's working.
Never been to Auckland but do hear it is boring along with a lot if not all NZ for that matter.
Wouldn't have thought there would be much between Adelaide (which I do know) and Auckland though? As with all cities to a greater or lesser degree the urban sprawl being pronouced in all Down Under cities.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Been to Dublin.. think it is inferior to Glasgow. For a capital city it's pretty scruffy and underwhelming, not at all buzzing, and too much of a bar culture. I didn't feel safe there at all.
I expected more from Dublin and I picked up a none too friendly vibe there especially after dark and besides too little of interest. Moved to Galway which is barely a city but a far better place to live. This was all back in the eighties so have no idea how things would be now in these economic hard pressed times.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,911,948 times
Quote:

All this only goes to show what is boring to one person isn't boring to another, people look for different things in a city.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Lots of Aussies from out of town knock Adelaide for being boring. Even those that live in Perth,a little unfairly I think.
Adelaide is a well laid out city and has but somewhat staid. It is the most affordable mainland city now in which to life. It is also only several hours drive to Melbourne and has some lovely places in the hills.
It is nice but far removed from much excitment and rather boring.
Saying that those that like an uncomplicated quiet sort of life then it could be worth the effort. Glenelg,the beach suburb is rather nice........

Perth meanwhile is way overpriced being the capital of the state with the main mining boom and is about making bucks but find much missing. Good climate if you like hot summers, nice beaches but rather devoid of much else.
A rather naval gazing sort of place where a small but influencial group seem to dictate the works. Very important who one knows. Not quite as laid back as ones first impression may be.
Your last point is true. Perth is not what it used to be. Even the suburbs are not the idyllic paradise promised. People are more hurried, I see more frowns, hear less g'days, and the few nuggets of redemption are slowly being sacrificed in the name of 'progress.' Nothing against Perth building up it's infrastructure and becoming more of a 'world class' city, but I do hope we keep our down to earth attitude and friendliness.

As for Adelaide vs Perth, I think both are similar in terms of excitement/things to do. Adelaide's main advantage over Perth is it's much closer to the East coast. Wanna drive 6 hours east from Perth? You end up in Kalgoorlie. 6 hours east of Adelaide you're in Melbourne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.