U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM

2,715 posts, read 2,330,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
The OP's main worry is jobs. So if there's any more advice on that, or anything useful, please post. Enough with the diversity argy-bargy.

OP: You still around?
Well Australia economy is slowing a bit due to the world recession yet it has not entered recession since the early 1990s. In addition the unemployment did not really rise much due to the global downturn.

To get a good prospective on seeing how many jobs in your industry is out there have a look at various employment sites such as SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site or mycarreer.com.au and careerone.com.au. In addition there is a Australian government website which states which jobs are in the biggest demand now to the ones where it is more difficult on finding a job and that is at Skill Shortage Lists

I can't say much about the US but I sure there is more variety of jobs there compared to Australia. In addition you would likely to see far more international companies in the US than Australia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,245,500 times
Go to USA..

Australia if your planning on having 10 children and living on the dold.. Other then generous welfare payments, there really isn't much incentive to live in Australia..

USA for everything else

Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Go to USA..

Australia if your planning on having 10 children and living on the dold.. Other then generous welfare payments, there really isn't much incentive to live in Australia..

USA for everything else
Well the last American I met said at least 15% of the population holds America back due to they don't want to work and there are generations of families that have never worked before. Of course there are cases for many people like that in Australia but it is not the same extent as America. In addition it cities are more dangerous for crime in America than Australia.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,245,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well the last American I met said at least 15% of the population holds America back due to they don't want to work and there are generations of families that have never worked before. Of course there are cases for many people like that in Australia but it is not the same extent as America. In addition it cities are more dangerous for crime in America than Australia.
Australian cities are just as dangerous and more dangerous.. At times..

There's literally shootings all the time happening these past few years..

Also another inherent problem with Sydney etc are violence, Australian cities are riddled with violence.. You can get into a fight much easier in Sydney then say Los Angeles.. In LA there's gang problem, but they're very concentrated in certain areas, stay out if their areas and ways and you should then be fine..

In Sydney violence is everywhere, and Americans seem much friendlier then Sydny, where everyone think that they're king-****..

Ask anyone who lives in Sydney and you'll see that they would probably agree..

Not to mention the poor infrastructure and urban planning in Sydney, everything is so cramped up, roads are small and traffic congestion in everyday Stdney make LA traffic look like a fruit cake..

Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Australian cities are just as dangerous and more dangerous.. At times..

There's literally shootings all the time happening these past few years..

Also another inherent problem with Sydney etc are violence, Australian cities are riddled with violence.. You can get into a fight much easier in Sydney then say Los Angeles.. In LA there's gang problem, but they're very concentrated in certain areas, stay out if their areas and ways and you should then be fine..

In Sydney violence is everywhere, and Americans seem much friendlier then Sydny, where everyone think that they're king-****..

Ask anyone who lives in Sydney and you'll see that they would probably agree..

Not to mention the poor infrastructure and urban planning in Sydney, everything is so cramped up, roads are small and traffic congestion in everyday Stdney make LA traffic look like a fruit cake..

America’s murder rate is high relative to most developed nations

In Western Europe, the murder rate is around 1-2 per 100,000. In Spain, in Eastern European countries like Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, and in what are sometimes termed the ‘Anglosphere’ countries, such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada, the murder rate is normally between 2 and 3 per 100,000.
America, by contrast, has a widely varying murder rate, at five per 100,000.

America in the World's Briefings: America and Crime

I live in Sydney. Yes it does have traffic congestion same with American cities. All the times I been there I never been mugged or bashed up. I have seen bashings and seen people being mugged yet this happens in all cities.

In addition you compare LA to Sydney. They are very different cities. LA has twice as many people as Sydney.

Well since LA is in California the economy over there is not doing so well and the city of Stockton has recently declared bankruptcy. California is supposed to be the most wealthiest state in America. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226410127020

Last edited by other99; 07-22-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,162 times
Default USA vs Austalia.

"Americans maintain their sense of being God's own country with a manifest destiny to lead the world to freedom and democracy. Australia has no global ambitions, and those related to the region are for stability and economic advancement rather than dominance"is told by famous .........(John Lang more (politician))

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,152,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
America’s murder rate is high relative to most developed nations

In Western Europe, the murder rate is around 1-2 per 100,000. In Spain, in Eastern European countries like Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, and in what are sometimes termed the ‘Anglosphere’ countries, such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada, the murder rate is normally between 2 and 3 per 100,000.
America, by contrast, has a widely varying murder rate, at five per 100,000.
America in the World's Briefings: America and Crime
I'm not defending the US's murder rate, but, statistically, 5 out of 100,000 isn't drastically different from 2 or 3 out of 100,000. Then there's context: most murders here occur between people who know each other. Also, there are areas that are safe, and areas that it's best to avoid. It isn't the case that 5,000 people minding their own business on the streets of New York City randomly get murdered every year. I've lived inthe US for over half a century, most of that time in big cities, and I've never once been the victim of a violent crime. I've been the victim of petty theft twice. Events like the Aurora movie-theater massacre are disturbing, but your chances of dying at the hands of a random maniac are vanishingly small.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 AM

23 posts, read 16,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
This is a fairly arrogant and ignorant statement. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it doesnt exist. If I go to the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago for a day I would rarely see a Mexican person yet the Chicago metro has about 1 million if not more people of Mexican descent....

Also, while Australian cities can be diverse, there is no comparison to American cities in this category. You will not find the diversity that cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, Houston, Miami, DC and Miami have in Sydney or Melbourne. Not even comparable.

Even Canadian cities have Australia beat in this category.
What absolute rubbish.

Sydney and Melbourne stack up against any city in the USA, quite easily in fact. NYC may be bigger, much bigger in fact, but does not make it more diversified. It simply has more people to service so of course it will have more buildings, more restaurants and more of everything else.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 AM

17,681 posts, read 7,556,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
What absolute rubbish.

Sydney and Melbourne stack up against any city in the USA, quite easily in fact. NYC may be bigger, much bigger in fact, but does not make it more diversified. It simply has more people to service so of course it will have more buildings, more restaurants and more of everything else.
Wait, what do Melbourne and Sydney have that New York City doesn't have that make your two cities more diversified than New York City?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 AM

23 posts, read 16,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wait, what do Melbourne and Sydney have that New York City doesn't have that make your two cities more diversified than New York City?
Oh please, I could ask you the same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World