Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,103,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
I would choose Oz hands down.
well that's likely because you're British and the US will feel too foreign for you
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 PM

54 posts, read 108,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
well that's likely because you're British and the US will feel too foreign for you
Maybe. I've been to Australia twice. I'd still and out of respect for Australians say that it's a well formed country and culture within its own right, but I felt more at home by far than on my visits to the United States.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,886,727 times
Quote:
Maybe. I've been to Australia twice. I'd still and out of respect for Australians say that it's a well formed country and culture within its own right, but I felt more at home by far than on my visits to the United States.

Seems a common theme. My friend said he would never vote to ditch the Monarchy in Australia (he was able to vote there) because he didn't want Australia to lose that British connection. Any American that I've spoken to about Australia says the same thing. You can definetly feel the Britishness. America is far less British as we got loads more Continental European immigration than Australia ever did. Although we still get around 16,000 to 19,000 British immigrants a year into the US.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

5,057 posts, read 7,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Seems a common theme. My friend said he would never vote to ditch the Monarchy in Australia (he was able to vote there) because he didn't want Australia to lose that British connection. Any American that I've spoken to about Australia says the same thing. You can definetly feel the Britishness. America is far less British as we got loads more Continental European immigration than Australia ever did. Although we still get around 16,000 to 19,000 British immigrants a year into the US.
I doubt that is a majority attituted within Australia, the reason most people kept the moncarchy was not really out of any love for the British, but the fact they did not like the alternative method of electing a head of state that was put forward.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I doubt that is a majority attituted within Australia, the reason most people kept the moncarchy was not really out of any love for the British, but the fact they did not like the alternative method of electing a head of state that was put forward.

He was a British immigrant to Australia, and he got citenzhip before he moved here. He felt very at home in Australia, and described it as England with sun. In fact, when he has British friends here visiting he usually has a big get together at his place. Inevitably the topic of life in Australia comes up and how much they all love it, or would love to visit. They feel very culturally at home in Australia, much more than here.

Having travelled to the UK, just watching media alone or reading news one can see that Australia is much more prominent in the UK than it is in the US. Honestly, Australia is rarely mentioned in US media or news or even in casual conversation with other Americans. It is just not on the radar here. There will always be a few Americans that have a keen interest, but few and far between. Most Americans are more interested in Canada or Europe or Asia.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 16,446,383 times
People have moved to Australia from all over this world for decades. You name the nationality you will find it in that country. Its cities are most definitely diversified to say the least. I'd say the only thing the USA has over Australia is how full of itself it is. I doubt I am the only American that would say so. Its fine to show pride and respect for ones country. Its an entirely different matter to put on the We are better than everyplace else routine. Its embarrassing.

Australia isn't all that easy to emigrate to at least for Americans. In fact its quite difficult. I've always wondered if countries like Australia and Canada, intentionally make it difficult for Americans to emigrate.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He was a British immigrant to Australia, and he got citenzhip before he moved here. He felt very at home in Australia, and described it as England with sun. In fact, when he has British friends here visiting he usually has a big get together at his place. Inevitably the topic of life in Australia comes up and how much they all love it, or would love to visit. They feel very culturally at home in Australia, much more than here.

Having travelled to the UK, just watching media alone or reading news one can see that Australia is much more prominent in the UK than it is in the US. Honestly, Australia is rarely mentioned in US media or news or even in casual conversation with other Americans. It is just not on the radar here. There will always be a few Americans that have a keen interest, but few and far between. Most Americans are more interested in Canada or Europe or Asia.
You may well be insulting Aussies by saying that. Culturally though I felt right at home, binge drinking and sense of humour and all. Aussie pubs are better though as is their weather. I tend to think of Australia being somewhat of a hybrid of the United States & United Kingdom. I think they hate us or misunderstand us poms as stiff and class ridden, even though that is mostly not the case anymore. We enjoy similar sports and Australia even beat England at football not too long ago . As the other poster pointed out, the reason for rejecting the republic had more to do with the crappy alternative rather than any affinity towards Blighty.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 AM

5,057 posts, read 7,465,585 times
Quote:
You may well be insulting Aussies by saying that. Culturally though I felt right at home, binge drinking and sense of humour and all. Aussie pubs are better though as is their weather. I tend to think of Australia being somewhat of a hybrid of the United States & United Kingdom. I think they hate us or misunderstand us poms as stiff and class ridden, even though that is mostly not the case anymore. We enjoy similar sports and Australia even beat England at football not too long ago . As the other poster pointed out, the reason for rejecting the republic had more to do with the crappy alternative rather than any affinity towards Blighty.
Spot on!

I suppose the big difference between the USA and Australia is the US has had well over 200 years of immigration to define its own culture. Australia's population was 90% British by ancestry for most of its post colonization existance right up to the late 1950's or early 60's, It has fallen off dramatically since, it's now below 60% and falling, but you can't totally change a countries culture inside 50 years.

My mums English, so i will always have soft spot for the people on that island on the other side of the world.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-06-2012 at 02:35 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Spot on!

I suppose the big difference between the USA and Australia is the US has had well over 200 years of immigration to define its own culture. Australia's population was 90% British by ancestry for most of its post colonization existance right up to the late 1950's or early 60's, It has fallen off dramatically since, it's now below 60% and falling, but you can't totally change a countries culture inside 50 years.

My mums English, so i will always have soft spot for the people on that island on the other side of the world.
Even Britain itself has changed drastically over the last 40 years in terms of ethnic groups. Even in the last 10 years, there are a lot more Poles & East Europeans.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
People have moved to Australia from all over this world for decades. You name the nationality you will find it in that country. Its cities are most definitely diversified to say the least. I'd say the only thing the USA has over Australia is how full of itself it is. I doubt I am the only American that would say so. Its fine to show pride and respect for ones country. Its an entirely different matter to put on the We are better than everyplace else routine. Its embarrassing.

Australia isn't all that easy to emigrate to at least for Americans. In fact its quite difficult. I've always wondered if countries like Australia and Canada, intentionally make it difficult for Americans to emigrate.

I don't think any one of us have said "we are better". Just trying to point out that Australia is much closer culturally to the UK than the US. No one can deny that fact. Yeah, Australia may be a mix of some USA influences, but the majority of the culture and country was shaped by ties to Great Britian. They weren't even independent until 100 years ago. The majority of the Autralian population is made up of people from the British Isles. Up until 1901 Australia was made up of 6 British colonies that were under British rule.

The fact is, the US white population is much more continental European than Australia. To this very day the largest single ethnic group immigrating to Australia is from Great Britain.

The list for the US goes on and on. Over 3M Greek Americans, 3.3M Russian Americans, 1M Swiss Americans, 1.5M Portugese Americans, 1.6M Arab Americans, .8M Slovak, .5M Croatian, .7M Finnish, 1M South Slavic (Bulgaria, Macedonia, Bosnia, etc.), etc.

The US has as many Italians as 3/4 of the total population of Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World