Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times

Advertisements

I don't think Australia has a better relationship with America than other countries although it seemed that way when Johnny Howard was hanging from George Bush's coat tails, he even dressed like him anyone remember the leather jacket, chino's and blue open neck shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Okay maybe I'll re-phrase that...I don't know you'd define 'closeness', but Australia seems the most similar to the US culturally after Canada. Much moreso than the UK. And politically we seem friendlier. Australia seems eager to participate in every war the US leads us into.
Even politically speaking, I haven't seen much interaction between the leaders of the US and the UK. I think that 'special relationship' died as soon as Obama came into office and was properly buried when our Prime Minister was elected.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 PM

749 posts, read 838,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Australia is probably the most friendly/has the closest link of any other country IMO.
I have found this to be the case as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Well, North Korea hates us for sure, South Korea from what I've heard likes Americans.
Well it would certainly appear like that on the surface to a casual observer and no doubt the economic and military relationship between the two is strong.

To get to the heart of the matter however, you really need to understand why North and South Korea exist in the first place. It was quite possibly one of the worst decisions the US military has ever made to split the country in two.

I’ve lived in Korea, are married to a Korean and study the language and would say that while Koreans are not outwardly hostile to Americans, I would not say they like them to any special degree either.

I was in North Vietnam in 2003, back then there were kids in the street selling Zippo lighters celebrating the fall of the twin towers.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-14-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 08:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
I'm curious to know the answers to this. I'm planning to travel abroad in the next year or so to get a feel for things and plot a possible long-term move. Me personally, I'm interested in Japan, New Zealand and Chile, and maybe Western Australia in (yep) Australia, and have always thought those would be American-friendly nations.

Five years, even ONE year ago, I would have said "No, I don't want to leave the U.S." I've now realized how quickly we are accelerating downhill as a country; my main concern are the rapidly worsening social, cultural and sociopolitical mentalities. I know this isn't the Politics sub-forum, but I found this video today and think Ron Paul said it best regarding politics, war and diplomacy:

AMERICA IS GONE!! Listen to this... It is over! WAKE UP PLEASE!!!. - YouTube

(Disclaimer: I was and am a Paul supporter but I'm also not one of those crazy, irrational fans.)

Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Wouldn't the U.S. have the closest link with Britain? I've heard of this "special relationship" thing between the two, plus the fact that we won our independence from them.
If by most friendly in terms of having sex with each other I think the "special relationship" the US and Britain enjoy would be more akin to the relationship between a parent and child so that's just too revolting to consider.

Therefore, I think the US would likely be most "friendly" to Canada, we are about the same age and don't have to worry about any disgusting arm-pit hair like they have in Europe.

Hey Canada...how you doin'?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If by most friendly in terms of having sex with each other I think the "special relationship" the US and Britain enjoy would be more akin to the relationship between a parent and child so that's just too revolting to consider.

Therefore, I think the US would likely be most "friendly" to Canada, we are about the same age and don't have to worry about any disgusting arm-pit hair like they have in Europe.

Hey Canada...how you doin'?
Hey, you live in the same state as me.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 AM

22 posts, read 45,123 times
What a question?

I think that you will find in any country friendly and unfriendly people. Of course you have to avoid the problematic parts of the World (North Korea, Iraq etc).

Israel like your government I doubt that Israeli people like Americans more that French people do. You have to take in consideration that Canada, UK, Ireland and Australia are English speaking courtiers perhaps you found it a bit more "friendly" as France or Germany.

In my country (Slovenia) the general public (perhaps) do not like the government of USA* very much but I have never heard that we do not like Americans.

* I think that 75% of the World population does not like USA (the government) but we all drink Coca Cola and use IPhones and we are all watching the stupid Hollywood movies

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
@ andrejus : I'm a bit puzzled by your remarks, you say that you Slovenians don't like the US Government, but I acknowledge that if not for the help of America Slovenia would still be a province of Yugoslavia, am I not right?
on the other hand, I believe (maybe wrongly) that Slovenians don't like the Serbs, the Russians and even the Austrians, I wonder which country you Slovenians really feel friendly to ?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM

22 posts, read 45,123 times
@pigeonhole: The word "like" is perhaps to strong. A better word is that the Slovenian peopel do not "support" US goverment actions so much.

US was not so enthusiastic about indipendent Slovenia so Slovenian peopel do not feel any extra gratitude. On the other hand US goverments has tried to correct this issue several times in the past. We had 3 times official visits from POTUS (1x Clinton, 2xBush). This is very rare for a small country like Slovenia (2 mio total). We had no visas for traveling to US etc.

This issue of "dislike" or better "not support" can be problematic for long term relationships. US ambassador to Slovenia has also noted this and he is trieng to adress this by emphasizeing investment in SLO etc.

Edit:

I think that Slovenian people and also our government feel friend to Germany.

First Germany relay help and support us during the secession period and second Germany is our biggest import/export partner. Also before in Yugoslavia we had massive German investment and massive export/import to Germany.

The culmination of this friendship is a special friendship treaty we sign with Germany. A similar treaty we have also with France. But I am pretty sure that we do not have the same feelings about the France. Nevertheless Napoleon was beneficial to Slovenian

Last edited by andrejus; 07-16-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World