Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times

Advertisements

I've never been to NO or Montreal. But I've been to Paris several times and I would surely love to live in the city. It's the most vibrant and cosmopolitan city with more culture than anywhere. Museums, parks, the Seine, markets, monuments, historical buildings, modern architecture, ethnic neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. If I had a place to live in Paris, I'd shut down my computer and start packing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
Hey Tama, I wouldnt make a trip just for the Mardi Gras but I would like to be there while it was on maybe, as im from the UK vomit and drunks is the norm so its something im used to seeing but I see your point but the whole girls gone wild sounds good .
Anarchy, the wild drunken, girls gone wild, vomit thing is in the French Quarter (mostly tourists on Bourbon St.). If you are looking for a more local/tamer Mardi Gras day I recommend St. Charles Ave. Personally, I prefer the Quarter for Mardi Gras day; we like hanging out at the Blacksmith Shop at the piano bar (Hey there Mr. Johnny!) and the Pirate's Alley (Shout out to Tony, Thais and crew!). Even if you can't make it on Mardi Gras day, there are parades throughout Carnival season (begins on Jan. 6). If you want more info check out nola dot com Mardi Gras section/forum.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Paris, without a doubt......

Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post

Anarchy, the wild drunken, girls gone wild, vomit thing is in the French Quarter (mostly tourists on Bourbon St.). If you are looking for a more local/tamer Mardi Gras day I recommend St. Charles Ave. Personally, I prefer the Quarter for Mardi Gras day; we like hanging out at the Blacksmith Shop at the piano bar (Hey there Mr. Johnny!) and the Pirate's Alley (Shout out to Tony, Thais and crew!). Even if you can't make it on Mardi Gras day, there are parades throughout Carnival season (begins on Jan. 6). If you want more info check out nola dot com Mardi Gras section/forum.
Nice one Drouzin sounds good thanks for the tips I will have a scout through the nola

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM

25 posts, read 94,326 times
you guys are all nutjobs. montreal is the coolest place on the face of the earth.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
I loved my visits to Montreal. I went there three times for 2 day trips.

Im sure I would love Paris too. I hope I visit there one day.

For some reason, New Orleans seems to be extremely overrated in a lot of ways and I have no desire to visit New Orleans. Is there something about New Orleans that I dont know about?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,564 times
I go to Montreal once a month, easily the best food city in North America.

But picking Montreal over Paris is insane.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
I'd Love to see NO. Montreal ! I've been there several times for buisness, what I have to say is Montreal cannot be compared with Paris, both cities are very different. I think Qubec city is a best pick to make a comparison. the way how I see Montreal is like "a part of the paris suburb", grey, sad, and boring.... I don't like this city, I didn't appreciate the time I've spend there, but it doesn't mean it's not great, it's just me and my story.

So I can tell you as a "parisien" the city of paris is maybe one of the best place to see in this world, but in any case you wouldn't live in it, I think people who lives in LA, NY or London can understand why I say that, if you are not used to live in this kind of cities, you'll live a nightmare. As for tourism, well tourism is always great wherever you go.... ASA someone discovers something new I think it's great to live. But for me Paris...... is just Paris, no tourism for me, I see the eiffel tower everyday, and to be honest it doens't impress me anymore, I don't find it beautiful nor bizar.... the louvre museum is everyday at the same place, and the name of "champs elysées" rhyme with F"****ing traffic jam"...

So even if I never seen NO I put this city in the first place, then Paris, and then Montreal (Quebec would have been my first choice otherwise ).
I've never agreed with Montreal - Paris but I can't agree with Quebec City - Paris either.

Quebec City (at least the old part) is more reminescent of a smaller city in northern France like St-Malo than it is of a huge metropolis like Paris.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Not sure if I agree that Paris is a better place to live than Montreal. Paris is a world class city (no doubt), but it is just too big and congested. On top of that, people were very snooty there when I visited (were much nicer in the French countryside), and the weather isn't great (think Seattle). Finally, it is ridiculously expensive and the job prospects are not as good as in London. Paris is one of those cities I love to visit for a few days, but would not want to live.

Montreal just seemed more liveable to me. Its a mid-sized city with a lot going on, great food, a healthy amount of industry and friendly people. It is too cold for me, but I'm from California.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,774 times
You are comparing three very different cities. I would certainly say that Paris is unrivaled as far as its global pre-eminence and cultural/economic importance goes. It is far larger in size than the other two.

Montreal is probably the second most important city out of the three. It is an important regional center and can perhaps also rank as a lower tier global city.

New Orleans is not even a French speaking city. It is the odd one out. Although it does not have some French heritage, it is a very American city. It is also mainly a tourist attraction with little going on economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World