U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is Atlanta Viewed as a Cool/Hip and Big City?
Yes, no doubt about it! 14 19.72%
No way 37 52.11%
I'm not sure, but I've heard things about the city 20 28.17%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 PM

165 posts, read 182,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Poor interpretation of my posts but you are forgiven since Net communication can only achieve so much.

I am not anti-parenthood. I am anti- "humans becoming so cut-throat and so competitive because of obvious ecological limitations, that everyone's life will eventually turn into a nightmare".
We already live in societies full of anxiety, harsh competitive-ness, enormous malaise, masqued hostility towards one another, civility on the surface only, complete lack of communion among fellow humans. It didn't use to be this way because we didn't use to be so many on this Planet, so hungry for more and so greedy about personal advancement.

Fewer people means more resources for everyone: more space to breathe, less consumption, more desire to congregate with those around you instead of wishing they dropped dead so you can elbow your way ahead of them.

Yes, I am a huge believer in population control because I believe in fewer people living well than lots of people poking each other's eyes. I also happen to be a parent with two children. I have done my share of procreation because I didn't out to miss out on the parenthood experience. Not everyone is like me though and I pray there are more and more of those. However, I continue to recognize that most people will crave a family and will want to preserve their right to have children. It is exactly because I believe in family and parenthood that I am a fierce advocate of family planning.
If I have only 1 or 2 children instead of more, other people will get a chance to enjoy their own right to procreate, without all of us together crowding up this place to insane levels.
Also, because my children live in an advanced society and they consume A LOT comparatively speaking - by definition I would never ever consider having more than 2. I could have done with one but I didn't want my first to end up with no significant relative in an ultimately lonely world. They are growing up together, I am so happy to see this - but I would NEVER EVER have a third child.

The population will not drop soon enough. By 2100 it may drop significantly, but I have a hard time believing it will be for natural causes (lowered birth rates).
International conflicts (wars over resources), mass extermination, illnesses - all these seem plausible scenarios for the future. In fact they are already happening but the scale will probably multiply many times over. Something will have to give. Those at the top will have the means to protect themselves, but the masses won't have anywhere to hide.

So yes, the population cannot drop soon enough. Stand by my guns.
Fair enough, in earlier posts I mistakenly misinterpreted your comments as anti-parenthood. You seem to envision a possible future in which the bloated population of humankind is left to battle over dwindling resources. That is possible, but many credible(governments, UN) sources have indicated that our population will drop significantly by 2100 due to "natural causes (lowered birth rates)." That should help alleviate some of your concerns regarding an ever-increasing amount of humans on this planet.

I have always been interested in demographics, yet until a few years back I was under the impression that the worldwide population would continue to increase indefinitely. I have come across many intelligent people who do not seem to be aware of these population trends.

Birth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 AM

1,173 posts, read 883,995 times
Without any preknowledge, so just thinking in stereotypes, what I've picked up here and there, Atlanta to me means:

Southern, Black Capital, Coca Cola, CNN, Gone with the Wind, Civil War, sprawling,...

Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,671,477 times
Bland?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 PM
B87

3,069 posts, read 1,433,910 times
Not much...it held the Olympics in 1996, for some reason it has the busiest airport in the world, and it's full of zombies!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
B87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Sorry, but I would take Atlanta's hot and humid summers over England's non-stop rain and high prices.
Ummm...you do realise than London only has about 20 more rainy days per year than Atlanta?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 PM

61 posts, read 72,032 times
Well, it seems there are a lot of people who don't like Atlanta. Fortunately, they were able to make this judgement without ever having to visit.

I have a friend who lives in Atlanta and I visit regularly. I think it is a great city. I would love to live there. The best thing is that it is the deep south. The people are great and still have the stereotypical southern charm. When visiting Atlanta, I noticed there are many areas that do not have the segragation found in many big cities. It's great to see people of a wide range of color, age, background, etc. mixing, mingling and getting along.

I travel frequently (65+ countries and counting) and I always find something good about the areas I visit. But, I look for the good. Apparantly, a lot of the posters are more interested on focusing on the negative and making decisions based on speculation. Shame on you.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM

2,677 posts, read 5,676,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Ummm...you do realise than London only has about 20 more rainy days per year than Atlanta?
I don't realize and I don't believe it. It seems that London has had more rainy days this summer alone than this entire year in Atlanta. Then again, I heard London has been having an unusually wet summer while Atlanta (and the US) has been having a drought so I guess this year can't be used as a sample.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM

1,052 posts, read 858,568 times
From a Canadian perspective...everyone has heard of Atlanta but it's associated with hip hop music, MLK, hot weather, Coca-Cola, and southern culture. I don't think people understand how progressive the city really is and stereotype it as a middle-sized, slower paced, conservative southern city. It's not viewed as a place you'd go out of your way to visit and it's grouped together with bigger southern cities like Houston or Dallas. People like to visit NYC, LA, SF, SD, BOS, LV, CHI, and MIA but I have never head of anyone going to Atlanta just to visit (not family/friends or for work), except a black friend of mine who went there just to party it up.

Living in Boston, people have more knowledge of the city's economic progress but it still has a rep of being more southern than it really is, being racially divided, and suburban sprawl. Again, not a place you'd go out of your way to visit but could be a fun place to pass through. Georgia Tech and Emory, however, are known to be very good schools throughout the US in my experience.

I have visited Atlanta many times to see family so I know how it is perceived from the outside but also have a good idea of what it is really like to live there. Because there are no truly unique attractions or scenery (mountains, coast), it is not a great place to visit but I think it is a nice place to live if you are ready for the lifestyle. There are many career opportunities, the cost of living is great, people are friendly, restaurants are good, and it is also much more socially progressive and diverse than one would think. But not everyone is down with the 'drive everywhere' concept as it's quite suburban in its design and lifestyle. In fact I've seen a nightclub attached to a stripmall. And although it is more cosmopolitan than people think, it is not as diverse as the East or West Coast if that's important to someone. But overall, it doesn't get the credit it deserves in terms of lifestyle.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM

1,982 posts, read 1,262,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I don't realize and I don't believe it. It seems that London has had more rainy days this summer alone than this entire year in Atlanta. Then again, I heard London has been having an unusually wet summer while Atlanta (and the US) has been having a drought so I guess this year can't be used as a sample.
FYI -

There may be fewer days in London with measurable precipitation but that doesn't mean those days aren't gray and dreary. It used to live in Charleston and it could pour buckets for 30 minutes - and 30 minutes later the sun would be out like it never rained.

Hours of sunshine - annually
and lest anyone suggest that hours of sunshine are determined by latitude, i've included latitude.

London - 1,460.2 - 51
Calgary- 2,405.3 - 51
Seattle - 2,174.0 - 47
Atlanta - 2,783.1 - 33
Los Angeles- 3,254.2 - 34

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
B87

London gets 140 days of trace precipitation per year, Atlanta gets 120. This summer so far has been the wettest and dullest on record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World