Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 AM

370 posts, read 652,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Where did you live in Italy?
We went through this before italianuser, maybe you forgot Florence, Italy.
I still get emotional thinking about my time there, so much memories. I know so many ex-pats there. Though my partner and I are debating if I should buy an apartment somewhere in Italy for vacations.
Where are you orginally from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I never got to live long enough in my dream country.

Then again, the "dream" would be different based on my real life situation. In a world where I am what I am now, namely someone who needs to work for a living, then my dream country would be England.
I lived there for 1 year, the experience was fantastic but many told me that my experience is not realistic and is NOT representative of how I would have to live as an average Joe, with job, family and mortgage.

If I were independently wealthy and never had to work for a living to maintain a very nice lifestyle, then off to South of France (Monaco) I'd go. That would be my dream country then.
I guess the no matter what our dream countries are when reality kicks in you get dissapointed. Or at least our bubble bursts. I think its natural!
I know so many people that live in America for decades and miss their homecountry because they are dissapointed with America. My father is one of them after 32 years in the USA went back to his home country.
When you leave a country you leave one set of problems for a new set of problems LOL!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
We went through this before italianuser, maybe you forgot Florence, Italy.
I still get emotional thinking about my time there, so much memories. I know so many ex-pats there. Though my partner and I are debating if I should buy an apartment somewhere in Italy for vacations.
Where are you orginally from?
Oh yes, you're right
Anyway, I was born in Naples and I used to live in Rome and Milan.
Unfortunately I've experienced the worst that Italy offers
But I don't think your experience with Italy is unusual: I met several expats from USA with incredible, unbelievable expectations with my country... almost everyone got disappointed and went back to America...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, you're right
Anyway, I was born in Naples and I used to live in Rome and Milan.
I've experienced the worst that Italy offers
But I don't think your experience with Italy is unusual: I met several expats from USA with incredible, unebelievable expectations with my country... almost everyone got disappointed and went back to America...
Where you live now?
LOL its our travel shows that we see. I still love Italy and met so many Italians that hate and love Italy but won't leave or can't. I guess you can say I have a love/hate relationship with Italy. I specialized in Italian Renaissance art in university.
I hope London will be better choice for me. Been there several times but never lived. We'll see.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Where you live now?
LOL its our travel shows that we see. I still love Italy and met so many Italians that hate and love Italy but won't leave or can't. I guess you can say I have a love/hate relationship with Italy. I specialized in Italian Renaissance art in university.
I hope London will be better choice for me. Been there several times but never lived. We'll see.
NYC, baby :-)
1.000.000 times better than Rome and Milan and any italian metropolis
I don't hate my country, but I dislike the fact that italian metropolis are such unpleasant places... sure, there are several charming villages: but they can be booooooring if you're a big city guy.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
NYC, baby :-)
1.000.000 times better than Rome and Milan and any italian metropolis
I don't hate my country, but I dislike the fact that italian metropolis are such unpleasant places... sure, there are several charming villages: but they can be booooooring if you're a big city guy.
Good choice. Actually to be honest NYC is the ONLY place in the states I can bare to live in. I currently live back in DC where I grew up but if I cannot make it in London or Montreal than NYC it is.
NYC has everything I need to live happily. v Its such full of life!

I am a city girl at heart small towns bore the hell out of me.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Good choice. Actually to be honest NYC is the ONLY place in the states I can bare to live in. I currently live back in DC where I grew up but if I cannot make it in London or Montreal than NYC it is.

Well, I would also add Boston, San Diego, (some parts of) Los Angeles and San Francisco :-)

Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Is there anything more boring than Florence?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Also you have to understand that NYC really isnt representative of all the US. NYC is like a separate country...its own world. In NYC I feel as if I am a different country.
I mean most of US looks a lot alike more or less, surburbs, mini malls etcera.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Is there anything more boring than Florence?
Well you are talking to a person that admires art so no Florence was not that boring. Plus I was a tour guide too so I enjoyed showing and educating people of renaissance Florence. But yes there were times that got it boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World