U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 AM

98 posts, read 101,678 times
Default Opinions about the U.S. state of Arizona

I would like everyone's opinion about the U.S. state of Arizona. Any opinion. Ever heard of Arizona? If so, what have you heard about Arizona. Or if you visited or even lived in Arizona, what honest opinions have you formed during your stay.

I visited the place very few times and know several people who visited and even lived in Arizona. I'm withholding my opinion since I'm only interested in everyone's opinions and not interested in any comments that need a response from me. I'm a listener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM

9,440 posts, read 7,143,764 times
I've been to Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert and Navajo Nation. Very interesting scenery out there. A lot to see and do. Different from everywhere else.

I feel compelled to see the Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater and a lot more. So, I will be going back.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 AM

4,300 posts, read 3,121,207 times
Baking hot desert though with some cooler upland areas around, high population growth in recent years, cacti, Grand Canyon, Phoenix urban sprawl, concentration camp-like prisons (and the locals seem to love it that way judging by how many times Sheriff Joe has been re-elected). I don't know any of the details of it but there's some new law just enacted to keep the illegals out. Not somewhere I've ever been interested in visiting tbh.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,751,352 times
The the judicial system is crazy:

Norwegian man gets 7.5 years for running over woman's toe

"We had people hurt emotionally," said a Navajo County judge in Larsgard's sentencing Wednesday morning.

"Here we have a vehicle driving crazy and he hit somebody," an officer said in a 911 dispatch call obtained by VGTV. Larsgard drove over a woman's toe and scratched another person. Several police officers came, drew their weapons and arrested him. We're told his mom was arrested too but later released.

"Completely a misunderstanding and blown out of proportion," said Larsgard's attorney, Criss Candelaria, to VGTV. Local defense attorney Vladimir Gagic, who is not connected to the case, agrees.
"I feel bad for the guy, it's something that's completely out of proportion with decency and common sense," Gagic said. He added that while the sentence seemed a little harsh to him, it's not very surprising and is consistent with federal and state laws. That's because from the law's point of view, Larsgard used the car as a deadly weapon.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,015,174 times
Beautiful place, I enjoy visiting, especially in the colder months when it snows in some areas. Deserts with snow are very neat to look at in my opinion. Many musicians and groups I like come out of Arizona as well (Michelle Branch, Blessthefall, The Maine, The Format). Also the Mexican food there is to die for! The politics however are very screwed up, as most of you know, which on that alone does not make me want to live there. I also can't stand heat, even if it's a dry heat, I prefer summers to be shorter and not as hot. Phoenix seems to be a place where people who can't afford California move to, that or they decided Texas was too cold. I enjoy this state as a place to visit, and nothing more. If I did have to live in Arizona, it would probably be Flagstaff or Sedona. I wouldn't mind Tucson either if it weren't so damn hot.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,467,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The the judicial system is crazy:

Norwegian man gets 7.5 years for running over woman's toe

"We had people hurt emotionally," said a Navajo County judge in Larsgard's sentencing Wednesday morning.

"Here we have a vehicle driving crazy and he hit somebody," an officer said in a 911 dispatch call obtained by VGTV. Larsgard drove over a woman's toe and scratched another person. Several police officers came, drew their weapons and arrested him. We're told his mom was arrested too but later released.

"Completely a misunderstanding and blown out of proportion," said Larsgard's attorney, Criss Candelaria, to VGTV. Local defense attorney Vladimir Gagic, who is not connected to the case, agrees.
"I feel bad for the guy, it's something that's completely out of proportion with decency and common sense," Gagic said. He added that while the sentence seemed a little harsh to him, it's not very surprising and is consistent with federal and state laws. That's because from the law's point of view, Larsgard used the car as a deadly weapon.
Nothing crazy about it, the guy purposely targeted people, he is a nut case.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,751,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing crazy about it, the guy purposely targeted people, he is a nut case.
I am pretty sure he did not. He panicked and acted stupid. His mother was in the passenger seat. This would never happen in Western Europe. Hick towns in US can be dangerous for outsiders.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,219,217 times
Too hot for human life except Navajoland which, in winter, is slightly colder than the vacuum of space.

Has a giant city called Phoenix which has no redeeming features unless you consider they have a Nieman-Marcus which New Mexico does not much to the chagrin of wealthy New Mexican housewives who need Niemans and Marcuses, whatever those may be.

Touches Mexico. Bad touch! Stranger Danger!

Grand Canyon. Colorado River. Two really cool things.

Flagstaff. The snowiest city outside of New York State. Also, everyone there wanted to kill a friend of mine just for being a Vermonter.

Free coffee 24/7 in Winslow.

Touches California. California is easily touched, the softy...

Haboob. If that gets censored, ********* Puritans!

Touches Utah. I wouldn't, but what can you do?

Had a population hovering around the -zero- mark, not counting Native Americans, until the 1970s. Now it is full of people from around the country who can afford air conditioning.

Touches New Mexico who flinches like a beaten child.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM

13,342 posts, read 38,737,082 times
It's got a desert.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 AM

15 posts, read 11,091 times
Default life in Arizona

Hi all, i lived in arizona for 15 yrs, know the state very well. regarding the Climate, first, it is very dry there, avarge daily humidity is btwn. 12-18 %, very, very comfortable to me, unless you like a high humidty climate, like New York City. About 1/2 ish. of the state is Desert, other high alttutide, forested mountains. In the summer, the desert region dose become pretty hot in the middle of the day. You need to be aware there is a 30 degree temp. difference btwn. 5 a.m.-5 p.m. It isnot boling hot there year round, from noon to 7 p.m.ish in the summer can be difficult. You donot spend much time outside to begin with, everything is air conditioned, plus the low humidity, makes it very doable living there in the summer, desert regions. The high regions expierence 4 seasons, can be pretty cold in the winter, snowy. The state enjoys over 300, sunny, cloudless, blue sky days a year.

The people there are very different than the rest of the Us. For the most part, they are very friendly and welcoming people. There is, however
also alot of racisim there, mostly directed twoards the mexicians, certanily twoards the poor. This is because, in my oponion, arizionans are extremely cheap and greedy people. The Mexicians, and poor, cost them alot of money, health care expenses, other. They are a " Right to work State " in theory, this is basicially the right for employees not to join a labor union, if they not choose. This translates into " Pathecially " low wages, employees are extremely disposable there, expolited, dont like it, someone will take your place mindset. Basic human rights are written on paper, and that is about it, they really donot care about others well being at all. Have an " deplorable " track record with Health Care, Human Services, rights, consumer protections, Elder Care, across the board, these things cost money, they pefer to save money and let there residents in need suffer, who cares, there poor, that is thier mindset, dont like it, leave, no free lunch there. Many people like this, i belive no human beings should go without there basic needs being met, irregardless of thier ability to pay. Politicially, they are " Ultra Conservative " as far as the Criminial justice system goes, they very, very punutive, punishing. They have some crazy laws on the books there, are very, very " Anal " about right and wrong, cross the line, punish you into hell. Minior infraction, you will pay dearly. I would very accurately guess at least 1/4, more likely, of the state residents who have lived there for several years, natives, have ended up on " Probation " at one time or another. The Police have an " your the criminial we havent caught yet " Mindset..................Apartment rents are very affordable, houses are cheap, taxes are low. Education is well known terriibile, have a difficult time attracting/holding on to good teachers due to extremly low pay.

Gun Control laws, almost non-existant, laxest in the Us. As long as someone has never been convicted of any Felony, not diagonised as Mentally defective, you can very easily purchase a gun, carry openly in public, concealed, without a permit. One use to be able to walk into any shooting range, rent any type of weapon desired, including fully automatic weapons, enjoy yourself, no background check, probally has'nt changed. I do belive in the " Right to Bear Arms " this would never work in Nyc. though.

Arizona is a very Beuatiful State, awesome sunsets, scenery, an outydoorsy person would love living there. They say arizona is still stuck in the every man for themselves mindset, backwards thinking mindset, old wild west mentality, i would say " extremely " true. There are " pros/cons to living anywhere, what is/isn't important to you would determine how much you loved/dislike these things. I will defiently relocate back to A.z. in the near future, good luck all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World