Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who in your experience are more shallow in terms of how they view others?
Americans 52 73.24%
Western Europeans 19 26.76%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote, because I believe it is Fifty-Fifty!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you're basing your judgment of the two cultures on TV shows, that about right?
No, I used to live in Europe. It was ONE aspect of how the two cultures are different in this regard and if you read the rest of the post I give other examples. Don't be so defensive.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 AM

26,785 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
On the other hand, if you don't find the person the main character is likes attractive, you are bound to enjoy the movie far less than you would've otherwise.
But see, there is more depth and dimension to European movies and books ( as a rule), so Europeans tend to look at a bigger picture and accept the plots with substantial psychology in them with variety of nuances, unlike Americans, who like things to be put in more simplistic, right to the point way. That's where those immediate "likes" and "dislikes" come from, with "less enjoyment" of the movie, if the character doesn't look "right" to begin with.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That was a fringe phenomenon. Fashion and women's mags are still using thin models. Nothing has changed.

Why would I have photos of dept. store mannequins??
I don't know because they are something you're not used to? I am definitely not (and I grew up in Germany) and just wondered what they look like.

Also, I do think there is more awareness and pc-ness in the US compared to Europe when it comes to obese or overweight people. "Big is beautiful" is a slogan I have heard oftentimes in the US but never in Europe.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM

175 posts, read 273,809 times
I personalyl don't like how materialistic the USA is and not a fan how liberal europe is.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'd say that Americans put FAR more emphasis on physical appearance, hence the endless cosmetic surgery centres, endless teeth whitening/straightening and plastic surgery. I don't know of any country in Europe that is as big on looks as this country, though many European countries do go for fashion a bit more (in the creative sense).
Colombia, Brazil, Italy, Greece and South Korea (ranked from fifth to first respectively) lead the world in per-capita plastic surgery procedures.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

218 posts, read 506,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But see, there is more depth and dimension to European movies and books ( as a rule), so Europeans tend to look at a bigger picture and accept the plots with substantial psychology in them with variety of nuances, unlike Americans, who like things to be put in more simplistic, right to the point way. That's where those immediate "likes" and "dislikes" come from, with "less enjoyment" of the movie, if the character doesn't look "right" to begin with.
Mmm, I think you might be right. For instance, I wasn't as revolted by the lead girl in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" as I thought I would've been (and quite a lot of sex in that movie).

On the other hand, I can't identify with the lead male character in a romantic movie if I don't find the girl attractive.

But hey, I prefer anime where ALL girls are hot.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 AM

318 posts, read 625,875 times
I think it all depends on the person really..

Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM

113 posts, read 180,797 times
I think that there are shallow and materialistic people on both sides of the Atlantic. In the few times that I have traveled to Europe I have noticed that Europeans tend to put more emphasis on fashion as opposed to acquiring bigger toys. A wealthy American might wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that he got at a garage sale, but he will have his McMansion in the suburbs with two SUVs and a sports car in the driveway.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesBorda View Post
since you guys are well traveled, I would hope you know

lets say you were to pick out of 300 million Americans and the hundreds and millions of Western Europeans, collect 100 people from both groups, which of the two groups would generally have the more shallow, superficial, and materialistic people?
The way the poll question is phrased it does not seem to jibe with the above question, nor how people are responding.

1. In regard to the poll question, which asks which group is more shallow in judging other people (which I would take to mean more superficial in their judgment) - I'd say it is a tie, though Americans and Europeans do it for different reasons I am inclined to think.

2. As to which group is more superficial and materialistic. Hmmmm. I would say if I were caught in the position of having to spend and hour or two in the company of a stranger, I would prefer to take my chances on a random select from the group of 100 Western Europeans in the hope of possibly getting someone I would be interested in talking with. With my fingers crossed, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World