Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Same goes for Europe. European culture seems similar as well. Yes the cities look different and there are different languages, but Europe is very similar in the eyes of Americans. That's why people will say "That's very European" or that "European cities are very beautiful" or that "Europeans have a good fashion sense" etc. Perhaps you Europeans think you are more different than what outsiders really think. I mean you don't even need a passport to travel from one European country to another! You even share the same currency for the most part!

So I could say the same for Europe as well. However, I am educated enough to know that the cultures are very different in Europe as they are within the U.S. If you think a country with 300 million people that is larger than continental Europe in size of land has the same cultures across the land with very little differences, well that's pretty ignorant.
The Americans say "the Europeans xxx" out of arrogance as well as ignorance. How many American actually have visited more than 4 or 5 European countries anyway to make such a statement? The Americans also often say "Asian countries" this and that, are they assuming Chinese culture is vastly similar to Japanese or Thai? They probably do since Asians apparently all look the same.

European countries undeniably show way more more differences than different cities/states in the US. European countries have hundreds or more than 1000 years of history, established different cultures and traditions, had all the wars, and they don't even act the same. It will be naive to say the difference between a Spaniard and a Swedish is essentially the same as between someone from Texas and Vermont.

The US despite its vastness and diversity, is incredible homogeneous. People eat essentially the same kind of food, go to the same stores, drive the same car, live in the same kind of suburban houses with very few exceptions. Most cities look similar. Yes, NYC is different and there are difference among smaller cities as well, but in general, they are pretty homogeneous.

As a traveler, the advantage of visiting Europe is that you get to see so much within a short distance. vastly different cultures, people, architecture and scenery within say 5 hours of drive. In the US, you might drive for 20 hours and everything looks the same, often with nothing to see in between, and that's the most boring thing about US/Canada. Paris to London is a merely 2 hours, and you see two of the greatest yet completely different cities. Or from Barcelona to Marseilles. In the US, from Boston to Washington, the densest area, or from San Francisco to LA, the difference is much much less.

This should be expected since the US has a much lower density over a large land. There is just no enough people or time to build different culture. But to deny Europe is more interesting to visit than the US, that's home bias

I am neither American nor European. After two trips to Europe, I truly think most of my previous trips in the US was pretty much a waste of time. Maybe not completely waste, but definitely not worth the time and money.

Imagine carving out a land with the same area as France, or Spain, or Germany, any land you prefer, and compare the tourist resources with those European countries. Blind men would know the US is more boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
San Antonio Riverwalk. World travel witers and agents from every major country agree that there is no place like it in this world.
Pretty, but nothing unique on these two photos.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

European countries undeniably show way more more differences than different cities/states in the US. European countries
No sh*t. They are different countries.

Quote:
The US despite its vastness and diversity, is incredible homogeneous.
No sh*t. It is the same country.

Why is this so hard for people to get? You are comparing one country to a continent comprised of many.

The US has a lot more diversity within it than most countries.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
People eat essentially the same kind of food
What food would that be? You're not talking about Ethiopian, are you? I haven't try that yet. ;-)

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
The Americans say "the Europeans xxx" out of arrogance as well as ignorance. How many American actually have visited more than 4 or 5 European countries anyway to make such a statement? The Americans also often say "Asian countries" this and that, are they assuming Chinese culture is vastly similar to Japanese or Thai? They probably do since Asians apparently all look the same.

European countries undeniably show way more more differences than different cities/states in the US. European countries have hundreds or more than 1000 years of history, established different cultures and traditions, had all the wars, and they don't even act the same. It will be naive to say the difference between a Spaniard and a Swedish is essentially the same as between someone from Texas and Vermont.

The US despite its vastness and diversity, is incredible homogeneous. People eat essentially the same kind of food, go to the same stores, drive the same car, live in the same kind of suburban houses with very few exceptions. Most cities look similar. Yes, NYC is different and there are difference among smaller cities as well, but in general, they are pretty homogeneous.

As a traveler, the advantage of visiting Europe is that you get to see so much within a short distance. vastly different cultures, people, architecture and scenery within say 5 hours of drive. In the US, you might drive for 20 hours and everything looks the same, often with nothing to see in between, and that's the most boring thing about US/Canada. Paris to London is a merely 2 hours, and you see two of the greatest yet completely different cities. Or from Barcelona to Marseilles. In the US, from Boston to Washington, the densest area, or from San Francisco to LA, the difference is much much less.

This should be expected since the US has a much lower density over a large land. There is just no enough people or time to build different culture. But to deny Europe is more interesting to visit than the US, that's home bias

I am neither American nor European. After two trips to Europe, I truly think most of my previous trips in the US was pretty much a waste of time. Maybe not completely waste, but definitely not worth the time and money.

Imagine carving out a land with the same area as France, or Spain, or Germany, any land you prefer, and compare the tourist resources with those European countries. Blind men would know the US is more boring.
Ok but you are still comparing ONE country to DOZENS of countries. Why don't you make it fair and compare the U.S. to the U.K. or the U.S. to France?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Pretty, but nothing unique on these two photos.
That riverwalk cannot be experienced truly unless you walk it. Look at this photo It means little on a post card but when I stood in this exact spot I was awed to silence. Your mean spiritedness is showing a terrible lack of esthetics and feeling. Many here might brand you as an anti-American nationalist. I don't think that is so. It is more like you are the perfect example of traditional Russian fatalism. As you own Andrei Zorin says,"The world is hopeless. Richness is a sin. No way to have a stone house. . This goes far to explain the lack of personal responsibility so evident in many Russians. Life is predetermined, so “hope for the best.†Hope dies last, they say. Why work, why improve? It is all preordained and man, born in sin, has no hope of salvation until the afterlife and maybe not even then. It is fatalism."

Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM

308 posts, read 897,006 times
US cities are extremely different from each other (North vs South, East coast vs West coast vs Midwest, etc).

no, there isnt much going on if you are an avid fan of medieval history, but in terms of all things from 19th, 20th century and 21st century, US has it all.

I am personally a huge fan of Art Deco and I don't know a single country in the world that has so many cities with Art Deco buildings in it. US has its own history and architecture to be proud of.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Also people do not eat the same food everywhere. I mean you can easily get Brazilian and Cuban food in Miami. It's a dime a doze. However in Seattle good luck getting that food. Or try to get New Orleans Cajun food outside of that area? Or how about Chicago style deep dish? It's not easy to find outside of Chicago. Southern cities have a much different cuisine than let's say California. Or try to get good Asian food in Miami with what you can get in LA and SF. You can't even get In N Out outside of the western U.S.!

Oh wait, I forgot botticelli, you have been to every U.S. city and experienced their cuisine you surely must know everything then.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That riverwalk cannot be experienced truly unless you walk it. Look at this photo It means little on a post card but when I stood in this exact spot I was awed to silence.
I don't really see a logic in comparing the photo of a riverwalk with a medieval cathedral But you, of course, know better about San Antonio - I wasn't there.

Quote:
Your mean spiritedness is showing a terrible lack of esthetics and feeling.
Some people are just mean - why take an offense?

Quote:
It is more like you are the perfect example of traditional Russian fatalism.
There's no such thing

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
[quote=botticelli;25364630]The Americans say "the Europeans xxx" out of arrogance as well as ignorance. How many American actually have visited more than 4 or 5 European countries anyway to make such a statement? The Americans also often say "Asian countries" this and that, are they assuming Chinese culture is vastly similar to Japanese or Thai? They probably do since Asians apparently all look the same.

quote]

You were doing just fine until the above statement which is a product more of your ire rather than you intellect or actual knowledge. "El pan, pan y el vino, vino." The average American has, whether he/she wants it or not, a better understanding and more contact with East Asia than does the average European. Why, Because the US has a population of one and a half million Japanese, a similar amount of Koreans and double that number of Chinese. The people each promote their cultures with a fervor you can only imagine. The result is a great number of non-Asian Americans studying East Asian culture. The first departments of Asian studies of any magnitude were developed in California's universities long before they were developed in Europe. Out of necessity and out of the East Asian's pride in their own civilizations and cultures? Because that is where about three million East Asians live in the US. We have produced probably more translators of Japanese, Korean and Chinese literature than any other nation in the world. Men like Edward Seidensticker, prolific translator of Kawabata's work, Donald Keene, Tanizaki, Junichiro's preferred translator in any language or John Nathan who gave the West the most complete works of Mishima in any language.

When I was 14 my family moved to California and we lived in a predominantly Japanese area. I started then to study the language and the culture. Because of my interest a civic group of Japanese - Americans made it possible for me to study in Japan. After gaining proficiency in the Japanese language I sat for the entrance exam to a Japanese national University. I got into Tokyo Kyodai and in the end I received my degree from that University. Because my field was in Japanese literature and language obviously there are no courses in English or any other Western language. NO free lunch. Show me how many Europeans have the studiers and the degrees in Japanese that i have. Your ignorance is a personal affront that leaves me no choice but to blow my own horn. All you have done is attempt to "venderme gato por liebre" and you have failed miserably. A good BSer is an artist a bad one is his own fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World