U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:32 AM

5,570 posts, read 3,144,910 times

Advertisements

IM in Glasgow but travel a lot up North for days out, parts of Scotland still takes my breath away.. but its too hard to compare countries when Ive not been to see much of the US. only to Florida which I loved, liked the people too.. too hard to compare though, and so different.. Im not a city person , like the countryside much more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 AM

14,934 posts, read 8,945,813 times
I think both are okay. Both have advantages over the other.

If it helps, I know a few American expatriates who live in Leeds and elsewhere in the UK, and these are the things that they generally mention as positives:

Universal healthcare (with faults and all)
Personal safety
History and culture
Public transport (car not necessary)

And bad points:
More expensive
The weather

Economy is equally as bad in both, no points to score here.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 PM

12,492 posts, read 7,705,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
1. Definitely the u.s. Brits are not friendly people. They're stuck up, snobbish, and racist. They accuse everyone else of not speaking proper english. They're rude to americans because they assume every american is a right-wing war supporter who is unenlightened and knows nothing about the outside world. There are brits who are like that too. Brits are also sarcastic, stubborn, and argumentative.
There is a few of them like that but a majority are not stuck, racist, hate usa, etc... some of them like usa but most just don't care about us(not to be meant in a bad way), you have to seriously give sports to the uk though, they support their teams much much better and the most popular sports in the world are popular there (football tennis and cricket)

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 5,178,076 times
Quote:
I don't like either country, but I think the u.s is the lesser of the two evils. But here goes.

1. Definitely the u.s. Brits are not friendly people. They're stuck up, snobbish, and racist. They accuse everyone else of not speaking proper english. They're rude to americans because they assume every american is a right-wing war supporter who is unenlightened and knows nothing about the outside world. There are brits who are like that too. Brits are also sarcastic, stubborn, and argumentative.

2. Probably the uk as not even the police carry guns over there. That says something in itself. From what I understand it's harder to get guns there too.

3. Definitely the u.s. american culture is waay more popular than british culture. Even britain is highly affected by american hegemony.

4. I'd say the uk for this one. The uk is more liberal than the u.s. I think they have better immigration policies and legal prostitution. And their citizens have more civil liberties.

5. Don't know.
6. Once again, I'm gonna say the uk for this one. I haven't been to the uk, so I can't say for sure. But I have met and befriended quite a few brits in the places I've traveled and lived. From my experience and based on what I've heard, british women are more open minded, down to earth, and easier to befriend. I've also heard they are generally more open to interracial relationships than american women.

7. Hard to say. In what context?
8. Probably the u.s. Not really much to see in the uk as it's gloomy alot of the time (especially outside of london).

9. Definitely the u.s.

10. The u.k. If you live in the u.k, you have close access to the rest of europe, and are even close to Africa. But the u.s. is so big, and it's just close maybe to Canada and Mexico.

11. The u.s. I don't find cricket, rugby, futbol, or any english sports very interesting. I'm not really into american sports either, although I do like track and field, and MMA, both of which I'm pretty sure are more popular in the states.

12. Definitely the u.s. american food might be typically fattening and unhealthy, but it's tasty. I've heard british food is nasty.

13. Probably the uk. america generally doesn't have good public transit. The uk is smaller, but europe in general has much better transit than the states.

14. Probably the states.

15. Definitely the uk. The uk is one of the countries that has universal health care and have had it for quite some time. The u.s. just introduced a better healthcare system 2 years ago, which is still being fought by republicans, and won't even really come into play until 2 years from now. And it's still not "universal" health care. 10 million people will still be without health coverage.

16. The uk. I've heard the standard of education is better in the uk, and it's also definitely cheaper.

17. The u.s. That's really one of america's few selling points. It's easy to live here because the cost of living in america is lower than almost every other industrialized country. It's cheap to live here.

18. In the 90's I would've definitely said america. But now I don't think pop culture in either country looks too good. Although generally I want to say america once again because of the global influence.

19. The u.s. america has a terrible history too, but I do like that they rebelled against the british and created their own nation rather than just remaining a british colony. I think britain's history is worse in a way. They were a very barbaric imperial nation for almost 300 years.

20. The u.s. Not really into old, european type architecture.

21. The uk. Same as number 16.
America must be really proud of you.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM

51 posts, read 18,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
LOL. Yeah I will never understand people who say they don't like their own country, regardless of the country. Being honest about its faults is one thing, but to hate it is just a concept I can't comprehend.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 AM

200 posts, read 253,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Thanks, spain must be really proud of you. Ole!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 AM

200 posts, read 253,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatrojan View Post
LOL. Yeah I will never understand people who say they don't like their own country, regardless of the country. Being honest about its faults is one thing, but to hate it is just a concept I can't comprehend.
First, I don't hate any country, I just simply don't like the states and would prefer to live elsewhere because it doesn't live up to it's full potential and there are better places to live in the world. Second, nationality is a social construct. The country that I was born in on accident has little to do with who I am or my values as an individual. I just think that other places or more congruent with who I am and what I think is important.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,178,076 times
Quote:
Thanks, spain must be really proud of you. Ole!

Thanks they love Scottish people

Old 08-02-2012, 03:36 PM

51 posts, read 18,252 times
Quote:
First, I don't hate any country, I just simply don't like the states and would prefer to live elsewhere because it doesn't live up to it's full potential and there are better places to live in the world. Second, nationality is a social construct. The country that I was born in on accident has little to do with who I am or my values as an individual. I just think that other places or more congruent with who I am and what I think is important.
Nationality is a very important social construct and having grew up in this country you have been greatly shaped as a person by its culture whether you believe it or not. In addition this country is responsible for the environment in which you grew up, including your education.

If you think you would rather live elsewhere that is certainly your right, and surely there are great places to live around the globe so go for it, but the US, as is anybody's home country, is a lot more responsible for you being who you are than you want to give it credit for. You can't not be shaped by the environment and culture you grow up in, it's just not possible.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM

6,019 posts, read 3,058,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
All of those cities you mentioned rival any American city, aside from NYC of course. That's the problem - many tourists are too quick to judge based on a 1 or 2 week visit, or focus solely on London. Other British cities have undergone renovation over recent decades and have so much to offer, including a plethora of restaurants. It's not just "pub grub" and Indian food anymore.
I'm interested in visiting Scotland some day. I always heard amazing things about Edinburgh, but not real good things about Glasgow. Would Glasgow rival a place like Chicago, or more like Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World