U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Paris, France
320 posts, read 432,869 times
Reputation: 465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Aside from that, there's not a single city in Britain that is anything like any city in America.
I kind of agree. Apart from the English language, America and the UK are very different countries. One is a huge continent, a world superpower, with a population of hundreds of millions, founded on immigration. The other is a a medium sized power, an ancient European nation, and encompassing a small island archipelago on the edge of a continent only.

A comparison between cities in France would be a lot easier - as Britain and France are a much more similar type of nation than Britain and America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
 
686 posts, read 500,092 times
Reputation: 272
Oxford = Berkeley.

But nothing really compares to Oxford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times
Reputation: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post

A comparison between cities in France would be a lot easier - as Britain and France are a much more similar type of nation than Britain and America.
Not sure if it's easier to be honest - only Paris and London are very similar.

Saying that, I've been to Lille and found it to be very similar to Leeds (they're sister cities, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Fife
6,611 posts, read 4,875,897 times
Reputation: 3108
Lille does look like a northern British city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 AM
 
Location: Paris, France
320 posts, read 432,869 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not sure if it's easier to be honest - only Paris and London are very similar.

Saying that, I've been to Lille and found it to be very similar to Leeds (they're sister cities, too).
Personally I think Lille is more Newcastle: it's a relatively small city at the centre of a large conurbation, with a history of coal mining and a strong and very distinctive local dialect (called Ch'ti). Prosperous, redeveloped centre; but some suburbs still post-industrial wastelands. The only big difference is that the Lille metro area is very diverse, whereas Newcastle/Tyneside is the whitest big conurbation in Britian.

Other parallels you could make: Brest = Cardiff; Strasbourg = Norwich; Bordeaux = Bristol. Bastia would be Belfast, with its history of seperatism and terrorist bombings.

I think the closest thing you'd get to Scotland would be the French-speaking area of Belgium - they're the butt of all the Frenchman's jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,676 posts, read 7,929,596 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Personally I think Lille is more Newcastle: it's a relatively small city at the centre of a large conurbation, with a history of coal mining and a strong and very distinctive local dialect (called Ch'ti). Prosperous, redeveloped centre; but some suburbs still post-industrial wastelands. The only big difference is that the Lille metro area is very diverse, whereas Newcastle/Tyneside is the whitest big conurbation in Britian.

Other parallels you could make: Brest = Cardiff; Strasbourg = Norwich; Bordeaux = Bristol. Bastia would be Belfast, with its history of seperatism and terrorist bombings.

I think the closest thing you'd get to Scotland would be the French-speaking area of Belgium - they're the butt of all the Frenchman's jokes.
I love the way you judge Belfast as a city that loves to bomb. Sorry but we average citizens of Northern Ireland do not have a care in the world for bombs, our cities are far safer than any city in England and the USA.

Maybe you should've looked for a comparable city that has a history with the shipping and flax industry in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times
Reputation: 5762
I don't think he is saying Belfast 'loves' to bomb things, nor its people.. how bizarre, lol

Anyway, your statement about Belfast being safer than English cities is incorrect, it has the highest homicide rate in the UK (or second highest after Glasgow!)

I like Belfast anyway, it's underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times
Reputation: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Personally I think Lille is more Newcastle: it's a relatively small city at the centre of a large conurbation, with a history of coal mining and a strong and very distinctive local dialect (called Ch'ti). Prosperous, redeveloped centre; but some suburbs still post-industrial wastelands. The only big difference is that the Lille metro area is very diverse, whereas Newcastle/Tyneside is the whitest big conurbation in Britian.
.
Yeah I just thought they look similar in architectural terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,676 posts, read 7,929,596 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think he is saying Belfast 'loves' to bomb things, nor its people.. how bizarre, lol

Anyway, your statement about Belfast being safer than English cities is incorrect, it has the highest homicide rate in the UK (or second highest after Glasgow!)

I like Belfast anyway, it's underrated.
And is this homicide rate measured by population density by any chance because if it is it cannot be compared with english cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Paris, France
320 posts, read 432,869 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I love the way you judge Belfast as a city that loves to bomb. Sorry but we average citizens of Northern Ireland do not have a care in the world for bombs, our cities are far safer than any city in England and the USA.

Maybe you should've looked for a comparable city that has a history with the shipping and flax industry in the USA.
I happen to agree with you owenc, and I am aware that Belfast is one of the safest cities in the UK (and indeed the western world) with very little of the day to day petty crime that bedevils the mainland. Personally when I visited I found it to be one of the most friendly, engaging and fun cities I've been to.

However my parallels are how both cities are viewed in the national conscience. Sadly, despite over a decade of peace, Belfast, for most mainland British people still initially brings to mind the Troubles of 1969-2002. A casual visit there still now (steel seperation barriers, armourded police stations, militaristic murals) sets it apart from other cities and would seem to reaffirm this. I'm afraid the flax industry is not well known, and the shipbuilding history (Titanic?) is far more distant.

Corsica also had a long period from the 70s to the 90s of terrorist activity, although, admittedly not on the scale of NI, that is still how to some extent it is viewed in the French national conversation, despite it being totally peaceful now for over a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top