U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM

4,371 posts, read 3,790,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
I am American born Chinese and I do enjoy the freedom and equality that America offers (as well as the wealth) but I am disgusted at how liberal America has become. I am conservative, both socially and fiscally. Besides the fact that I am Christian, I am culturally quite Chinese and my mother tongue was Cantonese. I speak Cantonese with a convincing Hong Kong accent and can write Simplified Chinese. The vast majority of 2nd generation Chinese are illiterate in Chinese, and some cannot even speak, so, sorry to boast, but my Chinese is exceptional. That makes my language situation similar to Chinese Singaporeans.

I feel that people in Irvine (wealthy suburb of Los Angeles, 40% Asian) are aggressive, arrogant, liberal, elitist perverts, rebellious and greedy. The intelligentsia of Chinese society tends to be more humble, and competition (in Hong Kong, probably not in Mainland China) is more humane than in Irvine, yet their educational standards are probably even higher. I am rather bitter that I was not born in Hong Kong, as there I would get a better education academically and actually enjoy it. Now I am stuck in a place where barely anyone speaks my native tongue and a lot of people haven't even heard of it being mentioned and mistake it for Vietnamese and Korean (despite Irvine being 13% Chinese). All this after working for years to improve my Cantonese.

I can't blame them, but I don't enjoy it when 1st generation Chinese stereotype me as being a 2nd generation Chinese and thus having mediocre Chinese.

Yes, and Irvinites (people of Irvine) are liberal bigots. Better to go to Singapore; don't mind a dictatorship as long as it is conservative. Besides, it has a superb subway is like Irvine (same high quality of life) except with a Chinese majority.
I believe there are differences between the Western conservationism and Chinese conservationism..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Does anyone feel like the nationality they were born/raised with is wrong?

I am a born and raised American. My family has been in the US for many generations. Born in San Francisco. I've never left the US except for a few trips to Canada.

Yet, I've never really 'felt' American. The pledge of allegiance was always a chore to me. 4th of July is about fireworks and BBQ IMO. I never felt like 9/11 was an attack on me as an American, just something that happened to a bunch of other people. I even kind of understand why they did it, not that I think it was justified or anything. American hegemony is annoying and we really are an existential threat to other cultures, I think 9/11 was in their eyes an act of self defense, and I wouldn't be too shocked if our own government allowed it to happen or even planned it because our government has done a lot of evil things in its history.

As to what I would feel better as, maybe a Canadian or a Scandinavian or even English. Does anyone else feel the same way about their country? Like their 'personality' isn't right for their country of origin?

The only American value I'm really adamant about is the free speech thing.
Step 1: You need to get out more
Step 2: Find a job in a country you like when you get out more
Step 3: If you do in fact like the place you get a job in, attempt to get permanent residence
Step 4: Be happy

The US is so great because we have the freedon to choose our life path. Choose your path to happiness.

Unread 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM

255 posts, read 186,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I believe there are differences between the Western conservationism and Chinese conservationism..
Lee Kuan Yew's Asian values, are at any rate, conservative.

Unread 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM

16,368 posts, read 4,505,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
The real America (living there) is quite a different ball game to holidaying in places like Florida (tourist desitnations)etc. I wouldn't exactly call them spoiled either.
I have visited the real america. When I went there on holidays we stayed in towns with no tourists because we wanted to experience the real america and not see british people everywhere.

Unread 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM

255 posts, read 186,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I think you have the definition of liberalism confused with conservatism. Irvine is not liberal. It is owned and run by a corporation. Having a car-culture city that doesn't give a darn about the environment and pedestrians is not liberal. Driving nice cars is a representation of wealth accumulation and that is conservatism. It is a suburb and everyone living in "gated community" is not liberal. And it is in one of the most conservative counties of California. Singapore is city-state that has high taxations, very ecofriendly, UHS, and prioritises the greater welfare over individual freedom. There's more but you get what I mean. I dislike Irvine too and I think Singapore is a great place to live.
Just because people don't care about the environment and drive everywhere doesn't mean its conservative. Case in Point: Los Angeles-VERY liberal, but people drive even if they can walk there in ten minutes and have drived so much that LA has the worse traffic AND worse smog in the nation.

Now, try arguing how Beverly Hills is conservative just because it's rich and people live in gated communities. Gay people can live in gated communities. Planned Parenthood might drive a BMW(maybe not in front of welfare recipients, but okay, secretly). Lawyers may be filthy rich but they're still notoriously liberal airheads. Libertarians, in my book, are more like liberals than conservatives.

About Orange County being the most conservative in California, that may be true but only because California is extremely liberal. I am actually extremely conservative (nearly fascist,) so it may distort my perceptions of politics in Orange County, but last time I checked, Obama won in Irvine and Prop 8 failed. Irvine=arrogant competitive aggressive liberal feminist snobs.

And Asians can be liberal, too. Amy Chua, for one.

Unread 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM

16,368 posts, read 4,505,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Well, I'm born Asian (Chinese), live in America, and people tell me I'm European, not Chinese or even American in my values, attitudes, and general outlook towards life.
Aw I know how you feel i've nothing against asians infact I think you have a great charm. But it is so annoying how americans group us europeans up with asians. Erm Americans look at a map you will soon see that asia is quite a distance from europe. Infact I am closer to all of North America than Asia.

Unread 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

837 posts, read 150,038 times
Quote:

I am a born and raised American. My family has been in the US for many generations. Born in San Francisco. I've never left the US except for a few trips to Canada.

Yet, I've never really 'felt' American. The pledge of allegiance was always a chore to me. 4th of July is about fireworks and BBQ IMO. I never felt like 9/11 was an attack on me as an American, just something that happened to a bunch of other people. I even kind of understand why they did it, not that I think it was justified or anything. American hegemony is annoying and we really are an existential threat to other cultures, I think 9/11 was in their eyes an act of self defense, and I wouldn't be too shocked if our own government allowed it to happen or even planned it because our government has done a lot of evil things in its history.

As to what I would feel better as, maybe a Canadian or a Scandinavian or even English. Does anyone else feel the same way about their country? Like their 'personality' isn't right for their country of origin?

Good god, yes, i feel that everytime i think of the philippines, i look at them as a nation and think what a land of people that think and behave like baffoons. Considering how much ahead they were coming out of the 2nd world war and how they ended up being the poor man of Asia, its just astonishing how things have panned out. Sometimes i think they ended up the way they did because they actually like it. Whilst i HATE it, people think im too outspoken over there, they always try to justify everything just to be passive, i cant live like that, totally wrong. I hate their music, soap opera orientated tv programmes, when i want to watch things like history, science, politics, things of substance. Not the constant programmes about how people can make fool of themselves just so they can make $10... HUCKKK, i swear i was something else in my past life or was mistakenly born into what i was born into.

Unread 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
JL

6,125 posts, read 5,786,814 times
I was born in Asia and lived in several Asian countries before our family immigrated to the U.S after the communists took over. However, i am so grateful to have settled in the U.S. It is the best country in my opinion. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Unread 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM

2,138 posts, read 1,906,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Aw I know how you feel i've nothing against asians infact I think you have a great charm. But it is so annoying how americans group us europeans up with asians. Erm Americans look at a map you will soon see that asia is quite a distance from europe. Infact I am closer to all of North America than Asia.
What?

Unread 08-17-2012, 09:33 AM

2,982 posts, read 3,906,620 times
Quote:

I take issue a little bit with what you've written, or perhaps the way in which it was written. You may feel like you've been born into the wrong culture or in the wrong place, but the nationality part doesn't necessarily define you or your personality. All Chinese for example aren't born to have a specific personality trait. My husband is Irish...the culture, the people he grew up with and the way he was raised defines him...not his nationality. The term American means different things to different people and isn't defined by nationality since we have so many represented here in this country.

I am American and I don't think feelings about 9/11, not celebrating Independence Day, or being unhappy with the government defines us as being American either. Try not to romanticize another country's way of life since the reality is rarely as lovely and wonderful as it seems! The reality is that there is no such thing paradise anywhere, really. There are always pros and always cons.

From my experience of living abroad is that you learn to appreciate and love a culture ...but also learn to appreciate your own far more than you ever did before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World