Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times

Advertisements

Lets just all be thankful that Borats 'mankini' is unlikely to become fashionable anytime soon!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Haven't you noticed the endless threads on here belittling Americans. Apparently only American men are afraid of being seen as gay. Laughable. .
It is simply true.

Try to visit cities in west Europe or Asia, such as Italy, Spain, Japan or Korea. Straight guys can be very fashionable. They are not afraid of wearing tight shirts or even skinny jeans, and hardly anyone would associate this kind of outfit with gayness.

In America, even in fashionable NYC, you rarely see a straight guy wearing those. It is not about belittling, it is about the fact that North American men are a lot more conservative nowadays than the Europeans and Asian.

I remember watching an episode of "Will and Grace" where Will is so sure a guy is gay because that guy was wearing prada shoes. This is essentially how most Americans think.

Take a look at street fashion in Tokyo here Japanese Hairstyles _ Men's Hairstyles
I am sure half of these guys will be labeled as too gay in the US, yet they are just regular young males.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Haven't you noticed the endless threads on here belittling Americans. Apparently only American men are afraid of being seen as gay. Laughable. You wonder what America they have visited. Maybe in the past there was more fear of "gay", but times have changed and are changing. Where I live gays and straights hang out together all the time. No big deal.
Haha hey as long as were on their minds i could care what kind of ridiculous things they have to say
I also live where gays and straights hang out together and i wear fitted shirts and shorts that go above my knees and i fit in pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

In America, even in fashionable NYC, you rarely see a straight guy wearing those. It is not about belittling, it is about the fact that North American men are a lot more conservative nowadays than the Europeans and Asian.

I remember watching an episode of "Will and Grace" where Will is so sure a guy is gay because that guy was wearing prada shoes. This is essentially how most Americans think.
Lol! it was on a episode of Will and Grace so its official

And how do you know whose a straight guy and whose a gay guy in NYC? did you go around asking all the guys in tight jeans if they were gay?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM

105 posts, read 202,972 times
You may agree or not, but labeling everything slightly different than the contemporary norm as gay is becoming or has already become a trend in American pop culture.
Men wearing tight jeans - Gay
Men wearing 'short' shorts - Gay
Men holding hands - Gay
Men sitting close to each other - Gay
Men hugging - Gay
Men dressed formally - Gay
Men dancing - Gay

Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
It is simply true.

Try to visit cities in west Europe or Asia, such as Italy, Spain, Japan or Korea. Straight guys can be very fashionable. They are not afraid of wearing tight shirts or even skinny jeans, and hardly anyone would associate this kind of outfit with gayness.

Take a look at street fashion in Tokyo here Japanese Hairstyles _ Men's Hairstyles
I am sure half of these guys will be labeled as too gay in the US, yet they are just regular young males.

I'm glad you know how we all think. Stop with the mass stereotyping.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I think your confusing the refusal of US men to subscribe to the worldwide trend of feminization of males with the fear of gayness.

Yes, especially in eastern Asia and Oceania, men are becoming more feminized; wearing makeup, fitted clothing, styling/dying their hair. Europe too, to some extent. That is fine for them.

Myself, I prefer to leave the fitted pants, tight shirts, fake eyelashes and eye liner to the girls or Europeans. I'm glad I don't have to wear them. I'm glad some guys, gay or straight, get a thrill out of that stuff.

I'll wear a nice shirt or something that makes me look good, but usually only on the occasions when we're out and I don't want people to think my wife married a tasteless slob (even if she did, since those nice cothes are things she picked out) as I'm happy to remain quasi-clueless about fashion and focus on other, more appealing (to me), diversions.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
You may agree or not, but labeling everything slightly different than the contemporary norm as gay is becoming or has already become a trend in American pop culture.
Men holding hands - Gay
Men hugging - Gay
Men dancing - Gay
Based on this list I'm really gay, don't tell my wife or my friend's wives, as they must all be gay, too...although I don't do the first three.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannadiga View Post
Men holding hands - Gay
Men hugging - Gay
Men dancing - Gay
additionally:

men using skincare products - gay
men shopping together - gay
men who shave anywhere below the chin - gay
men particular about personal hygien - gay
men who prefer the theatre to sports - gay
men who go to the gym religiously - gay

Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,299 times
Since when wear tight jeans is a gay thing?

In Europe are really normal, and I have seen Americans wearing tight jeans. I don't know if they were gay, but I doubt it.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
additionally:

men using skincare products - gay
men shopping together - gay
men who shave anywhere below the chin - gay
men particular about personal hygien - gay
men who prefer the theatre to sports - gay
men who go to the gym religiously - gay
How old are you? Your posts are simpleminded and just plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World