Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM

110 posts, read 281,051 times

Advertisements

Harbin is a very underrated & undervisited Chinese city. It has a beautiful spring, summer and autumn climate. It's winter can be very cold though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Some examples I can think of include:

Dhaka, Bangladesh - 7 million with metro of 13-14 million
Chongqing, China - 'metro' of 28 million, although the city region includes a huge area
Tianjin, China - Metro of 10 million
Kinshasa, Congo - Metro of 8-9 million
Tehran, Iran - Metro of 8.5 million
Bangalore, India - metro of 8.4 million
Lahore, India - metro of 8.1 million
Shenyang, China - metro of 8.1 million
Bandung, Indonesia - metro of 7.4 million
Changsha, China - metro of 7.0 million
Hyderabad, India - metro of 6.8 million
Bogota, Colombia - metro of 6.8 million
Surabaya, Indonesia - metro of 6.7 million
Changchun, China - metro of 6.5 million
Amedebad, India - metro of 5.6 million
Harbin, China - metro of 5.6 million - somewhat well known for it's climate
Err... Lahore is in Pakistan, not India

Hyderabad is the 6th city of India. It is capital of Andhra Pradesh, a Telugu-speaking state. It is well-known in India for a particularly spicy type of cuisine. Plus a rather-polluted place

Ahmedabad is a second-tier city in India. It is known for cotton/garment-industry, earning the sobriquet 'Manchester of the East'. Frankly, it is somewhat of a lack-lustre type of place, not that well-known in India itself.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 PM

81 posts, read 237,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Even in Brazil, most geographically unaware people only think of Rio - which is less than a third of the size of SP.
Are you saying population wise? Greater SP is about 20 million, while Greater Rio is about 12 million.......this is hardly less than a third......

Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM

81 posts, read 237,589 times
Quote:
Perhaps this will change however, with the rise of Brazil as a power? But even Rio got the World Cup. Poor SP!
Rio is not the only city in Brazil that will have World Cup games....12 cities will participate......in fact, São Paulo is supposed to have the opening ceremony, while Rio gets the closing one. The Olympics on the other hand, are going to take place in Rio alone. São Paulo might be bigger and be the country's financial center, but is far from being a touristic city, so that's why they keep this low profile....

Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Changsha and Changchun I've never heard of, and I am considered by all who know me to be very knowledgeable in geography (not boasting, just stating the facts).

There are many large cities in China without name recognition, as there are in Russia. I've heard of Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Ufa, Voronezh, but know absolutely nothing about them. Tolyatti (719k) I've never even heard of until I went to Wikipedia's list of towns and cities in Russia by population.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Pune
Jeddah
Busan
Riyadh
Tianjin
Karachi

Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,986 times
Quote:
Perhaps this will change however, with the rise of Brazil as a power? But even Rio got the World Cup. Poor SP!
Rio is not the only city to host the world cup. That cant happen. There will be 12 host cities. Rio will host the Olympics though in 2016.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 PM

250 posts, read 661,774 times
Add Guangzhou to your list. Over here in America, hardly any non Chinese have heard of it, even in Chinese dense areas! They have not heard of Guangzhou as Canton, either.

Cantonese is growing in obscurity, as well, as in many areas in th States the vast majority of Chinese speak Mandarin. Now, Cantonese is being mistaken by non Chinese (including other Asians) as Vietnamese!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
There is still plenty of unknown major cities in the world with international perception. Most of them are in East/South/Southeast Asia, but also in Central Asia, and Eurasia Caucasus regions.

There is also a few of them in South America and Africa.

Europe, North America, and Australia does not appear to have even one city that would qualify for this thread topic with being some of the least known cities in the world.

The country with the most unknown major cities for international perception is located in China.

China has a phenomenal amount of big cities/major cities that a lot of people in other areas of the world don’t really know about yet.

My list with the specific cities related to this post:

Category 1: For huge cities with population of 5 million+ in city limits and metro area: *I was going to put the exact population statistics for all of them but I don’t have enough time and maybe the post would be too long with that for now:

All of these cities in China:
Nanjing
Hangzhou
Wuhan
Shenyang
Tianjin
Guangzhou
Shenzhen
Dongguan
Chongqing
Chengdu
Harbin
Kunming
Qingdao
Dalian

In Japan:
Nagoya

For India:
Bangalore
Chennai
Pune
Hyderabad

In Brazil:
Belo Horizonte

For Indonesia:
Surabaya
Bandung

Category 2: I also would add a new category with cities that have between 700,000 to 4 million people and a metro of 1 million to 4.9 million. Even if they are not as big as the cities in the other category, they still contain a large significant population size:

In China:
Hefei
Zhengzhou
Fuzhou
Xiamen
Jinan
Suzhou
Xi’an
Changsha
Wuxi
Zibo
Urumqi

In South Korea:
Busan
Daegu
Incheon
Gwangju
Daejeon

In Taiwan:
Kaohsiung
Taichung

In Japan:
Fukuoka

For India:
Jaipur
Surat

For Indonesia:
Meden
Bekasi
Semarang

In Kazakhstan:
Almaty
Astana

In Georgia:
Tbilisi

In Azerbaijan:
Baku

In Kyrgyzstan:
Bishkek

In Armenia:
Yerevan

In Uzbekistan:
Tashkent

In Tajikistan:
Dushanbe

In Morocco:
Casablanca

In Gabon:
Libreville

In Brazil:
Salvador
Fortaleza
Recife

Last edited by ; 08-26-2012 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
^ Very extensive list, I think there are many many 1 million+ cities all over the world most people have never even heard of. The thing with Europe is that, since it's so well known any city with over a million is going to be world famous. I think Amsterdam doesn't even have a million yet it's so famous. Chinese cities, like American cities, can suffer from 'anybigcityitis', but I still think China has more unique cities that the world doesn't know about. Some new cities like Shenzhen or Dongguan are new, generic and without character, but cities like Suzhou or Xian bristle with history. Nagoya, for it's size, does seem really unknown actually. I think I heard of Kobe (because of the earthquake) and Nagano (winter Olympics) long before I ever heard of Nagoya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World