Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I enjoy that there is still plenty of relatively unknown major cities that have a lot of mystery about them, such as a lot of the cities I said in the earlier post mostly in East/South/Southeast Asia, and Central Asia.

However, some places (such as countries. nature scenery areas, cities/towns) still deserve more attention from more people if they have enough good qualities about them, so I also don’t mind if some of those places get discovered more.

Most of Europe is relatively well known, but that is not true for all of it.

Some major cities in Europe still don’t seem that known with international perception (Gothenburg, Lyon, Toulouse, Lille, Ljubljana, Sofia, Hamburg, Leipzig, Cologne, Stuttgart, Skopje, Minsk, Tirana, Chisinau, Podgorica etc.) but most of them have below 1 million people, and don’t quite make the most unknown cities in the world category, even if some might come close.

Also, Asia might just have more major cities with a population of 1 million+, especially 5 million+ than Europe, North America, and Australia so that makes it more likely to have more unknown major cities because more of them exist.

What are your opinions for some other Chinese cities such as Nanjing, Hangzhou, Kunming, Wuhan, Harbin, Guangzhou, Qingdao, and Dalian?

A lot of people probably confuse Nagoya with Nagano because they have such similar names, so they mix it up and might not realize Nagano is a much smaller Japanese Alps town while Nagoya is a metropolis with 2 to 5 million people.

Fukuoka is another unknown major Japanese city.

What are your thoughts for some other cities on that list in Category 1 such as Bangalore, Chennai, Belo Horizonte, and for Category 2 Zhengzhou, Fuzhou, Jinan, Busan, Gwangju, Kaohsiung, Taichung, Almaty, Tbilisi, Baku, Dushanbe, and Bishkek?
Me too. Some of the most interesting places to visit are those largely untouched by tourism. Central Asia comes to mind. Samarkand in Uzbekistan and Kashgar in far Western China are two examples I can think of. Yerevan, Armenia and San'a in Yemen are two very old cities with amazing old architecture but most casual tourists would never even THINK of exploring them!

Many of those European cities don't have too much to recommend them: people flock to places with a lot of beauty, history, food.etc. Financial hubs like Frankfurt don't hold the attraction of older historic centres like Nuremberg do.

I don't know much about most Chinese cities. I've been to: Hong Kong, Macau, Xiamen, Fuzhou, Beijing, Tianjin, Xian, Chongqing and Yichang. The dullest three were Yichang (a smaller city but still with 1.5 million), Fuzhou and Chongqing. All the others had tons of history and other attractions.

I also confused Nagano with Nagoya. Nagoya, I think, tends to lack a lot of things people come to Japan to see like historic old shrines/villages like Kyoto, and if people want the big city buzz it's Tokyo or Osaka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM

81 posts, read 237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Maybe you should have more faith in peoples intelligence.

Salvador is a fairly well known city in Brazil, it is also the city of Bahia football club whereas San Salvador is renowned world wide for being probably the most violent city in the world and El Salvador as a country had a war where over 100,000 people died in their cival war not to far from the American border, people have heard of San Salvador.

Wow, is Bahia Football Club really well known in Europe or are you just a big fan of football worldwide? Usually people only care about European football....

Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialeixo View Post
Wow, is Bahia Football Club really well known in Europe or are you just a big fan of football worldwide? Usually people only care about European football....
hey, brazilian and argentinain futbol are pretty big too. The best players in the world usually come from one of this two countries.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 AM

81 posts, read 237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
hey, brazilian and argentinain futbol are pretty big too. The best players in the world usually come from one of this two countries.
I know, I'm from Brazil......I said that because I don't think south american football gets as much media coverage as European football does.....

Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Very extensive list, I think there are many many 1 million+ cities all over the world most people have never even heard of. The thing with Europe is that, since it's so well known any city with over a million is going to be world famous. I think Amsterdam doesn't even have a million yet it's so famous. Chinese cities, like American cities, can suffer from 'anybigcityitis', but I still think China has more unique cities that the world doesn't know about. Some new cities like Shenzhen or Dongguan are new, generic and without character, but cities like Suzhou or Xian bristle with history. Nagoya, for it's size, does seem really unknown actually. I think I heard of Kobe (because of the earthquake) and Nagano (winter Olympics) long before I ever heard of Nagoya.
Novosibirsk, Omsk, Chelyabinsk, Kazan, Yekaterinburg, Ufa, Perm, Krasnoyarsk, Voronezh, Samara, Volgograd, Rostov-on - don, Nizhny Novgorod - a city of Russia which have a population of more than 1 million.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Yeah I love football in general and globaly, Brazilian and Argentinian teams are well known.

Europe produces the worlds best also remember! Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Ozil, Rooney, Vidic, Benzema, Gomes etc. And teams like Spain and Germany.

But so does South America, we will call it a tie

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Tehran is hardly unknown. Its on the news every day because of the Iranian nuclear crisis, and even historically has been known with the Iranian hostage crisis at the American Embassy, the Islamic Revolution, the Iran-Iraq War. Riyadh too.....if anything due to current events there are many Middle Eastern cities the world would otherwise not know about like Doha, Fallujah, Kuwait City, Basra, Kirkuk, Kabul, Kandahar, and Bengazi. The entire countries of Kuwait and Qatar would be unknown if it wasn't for the Gulf Wars

We did always know Tripoli from "the shores of Tripoli".

Nobody really gets "Ho Chi Minh City" but a lot of people of course know about Saigon. Also any city in Russia outside Moscow and St. Petersburg is basically unknown.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM

I don't think Philadelphia is that important of a city today. History is history. Philadelphia is no more important than Charleston or Savannah which were also important colonial cities and now Philadelphia is a dump compared to the graceful streets and mansions and parks of Charleston and Savannah. Philly is known basically for cheesesteaks, violent sports fans, Rocky, the ghetto, and crime. Besides Ben Franklin the only two people I can name from Philadelphia are Rocky Balboa who is fictitious, and Mumia Abdul Jamal, and I guess Michael Vick who lives and plays there now. It is known for a large bell with a crack in it. Independence Hall is nice only for the historical value not anything about its architecture. If Philly wasn't in between New York and DC nobody would visit it at all or think much of it, it would just be an anonymous decaying city like Cleveland, Newark, Toledo, or Akron. Even Pittsburgh is a nicer city, and even Detroit has better name recognition worldwide as the center of the US auto industry, even if the liberals and unions have destroyed that industry. Philadelphia is the worst city I have ever visitied. Runners up are the immediate city of L.A. (highly ghetto and filled with illegals) , Newark NJ, and Taipei, Taiwan.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
^ Philly seems like it has a lot to recommend. If I lived in the US, it'd probably be Philly, due to it being cheaper than Boston or NYC, although living in Manhattan one day would be a dream. It has more historical buildings than any city other than Boston, with some really nice historic neighbourhoods. If only it didn't how so many ghettos.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM

I also think Milan, Italy is sometimes overshadowed by other places in Italy like Venice and Florence that are more touristy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World