Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 AM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

I doubt any one country would fit the bill anymore. Although certain regions of countries may be closer to the describtion but nowhere totally fit the criteria I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Large chunks of Deep Africa would qualify : Niger, Chad, South Sudan, parts of Uganda, Malawi, the Congos, Centrafrica, northern Ghana, SL, Togo and Bénin, most of Somalia, Ethiopia, Erytrea..
iN THE Pacific, the Salomon islands, Vanuatu, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Pitcairn, the interior of New Guinea, the interior of Borneo
the Polar regions of Siberia
Mongolia (outside the few cities)

Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Not an independent country, but the Amish country!!!!! Some of the Mennonites too. They act and dresss and live like it is 300 years ago. THey have access to modern technology but refuse to use it. They don't use computers or cell phones and get around riding horses and horse drawn carriages instead of driving cars.

I did see an Amish family in a Walmart once though....I mean they can still use money and buy clothes I guess. But they are also exempt from paying taxes. WHich is actually better than other exempt groups since their horses don't create too much wear and tear on the roads and they don't use public schools.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:32 PM

42 posts, read 41,243 times
North Korea definitively feels like 1950's communism.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The people of Sentinel Island are fascinating ---hey are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated. I had no idea they existed. Thanks for bringing them up.

I looked them up and it said that in 2006 they killed some fishermen who were fishing too close to their island. And they attacked the helicopter that came to retrieve the bodies with a flurry of arrows -- the bodies are still there.
Whoa... now that sounds isolated. I ought to check it out for myself and see what happens.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Sadly probably not anywhere large. I think there's an island near India that has rejected modernity, but being they're still aware of the modern world, it's hard to really say they're free of modern influence completely.

Even as the late as the 1990s there were probably a lot more pre-modern societies. Few people outside of Japan and the West had cell phones or Internet until this past 10 years.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Not an independent country, but the Amish country!!!!! Some of the Mennonites too. They act and dresss and live like it is 300 years ago. THey have access to modern technology but refuse to use it. They don't use computers or cell phones and get around riding horses and horse drawn carriages instead of driving cars.

I did see an Amish family in a Walmart once though....I mean they can still use money and buy clothes I guess. But they are also exempt from paying taxes. WHich is actually better than other exempt groups since their horses don't create too much wear and tear on the roads and they don't use public schools.
Sadly I heard even that's changing and now the Amish are beginning to use mobile phones.

Throughout the 20th century, even a little ways into this one you still had pre-modern societies. I think the last will die out about the same time the last person born in the 19th century does - probably around 2020. There won't be any ancient "magic" in the world left by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World