U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,199,552 times

Advertisements

29% of New Caledonians and 11% of French Polynesians are of European descent. For anyone who's been or has any idea, I'm curious to know how 'French' they are culturally. Would you compare them to Australians and New Zealanders, or perhaps Falkland Islands to the UK?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 AM

327 posts, read 826,065 times
Caldoche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand you can divide the "French" population in New Caledonia between native-born islanders that are descended from French settlers in the colonial era (the Caldoches) and more recent migrants from metropolitan France.

I gather the Caldoches are a sort of Francophone version of the outback Australian or Afrikaner.

The more recent migrants are probably like any other French expat community round the world - they eat baguettes and drink coffee at pavement cafes, fly back to Paris all the time, and look to "la France metropolitain" for all sources of culture, news, entertainment etc.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,374,009 times
Is there any reason why you did not include the island of Reunion in the Southwest Indian Ocean near Madagascar and Mauritius?

I also wondered how French the people are in French Polynesia, Reunion, and New Caledonia and how culturally connected those places are to Metropolitan mainland France.

They appear to be such fascinating places to visit to see how they are for that, but for other reasons too.

It is surprising and unprecedented that they are still “overseas collectivities and territories” of France and not separate nations.

I don’t expect them to be nearly as authentically French as mainland France, or even Corsica. Quebec Province of Canada is probably more culturally French than those islands.

Reunion has 840,000 people, French Polynesia has 267,000, and New Caledonia 252,000 people. They are islands with a significant population. They appear to have mixed ethnic demographics, but definitely has at least some French influence, such as the official language there for one example, and a significant percentage of people with European heritage.

The vast majority of tourism those islands get is probably from Metropolitan mainland France people, but I imagine tourism is getting a bit more popular for people from other countries.

Those islands connections to France is probably not as directly connected as Hawaii is to the USA.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 09-09-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM

20,174 posts, read 21,776,227 times
There are also the French Caribbean possessions, though I suppose those might be less interesting being less isolated.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 2,054,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I don’t expect them to be nearly as authentically French as mainland France, or even Corsica. Quebec Province of Canada is probably more culturally French than those islands.
I disagree, Reunion is much closer to mainland France than Quebec culturally.
Except for few things, they share the same products and cultural things that the inhabitants of Paris.
It is not the case of the Quebecers who are clearly North American and have much in common with California than with France.

You also have to define what is "authentically French". Even in mainland France there are variation between Region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Those islands connections to France is probably not as directly connected as Hawaii is to the USA.
I don't see why they wouldn't.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 AM

20,605 posts, read 25,677,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Except for few things, they share the same products and cultural things that the inhabitants of Paris.
It is not the case of the Quebecers who are clearly North American and have much in common with California than with France.
Québécois are similar to Californians? Really?

Not saying they are exactly like people in France (more like a mix between France and the U.S.), but...

My kids have a Larousse and a Bescherelle in their school bag, they have Shy'm, Inna Modja, Manau and Ella Ella and Voyage Voyage on their iPods, they read Astérix, Tintin, Lucky Luke and Mélusine, they know Samantha Oups.... Not exactly everyday stuff in California.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 AM

419 posts, read 379,911 times
Quote:
Just like the French have much more in commun with Ukranians than with the Québécois, of course. lol

Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM

20,605 posts, read 25,677,003 times
We had elections in Quebec just a week ago and after the televised debate I heard a lot of people complaining and asking why it couldn't be as good as the debate between François Hollande and Nicolas Sarkozy...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are also the French Caribbean possessions, though I suppose those might be less interesting being less isolated.
That is true there is also the French Caribbean islands such as Martinique, Guadeloupe, and the South American territory of French Guiana. They also have a similar significant population size.

I easily prefer the French Pacific Ocean, and Indian Ocean islands (Reunion, French Polynesia, and New Caledonia), and find them more fascinating and intriguing than the Caribbean/South American parts (Martinique, Guadeloupe, and French Guiana). However, those are interesting too and I would like to know more about them.

Other than Reunion, the island of Mayotte was not mentioned yet. That is another island technically part of France in the Southwest Indian Ocean near Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros, Mozambique.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:

You also have to define what is "authentically French". Even in mainland France there are variation between Region.

I don't see why they wouldn't.
I already know France has a lot of variation between regions, including within Metropolitan Mainland France.

I just can’t see how the island of Reunion is much closer to France culturally than the Quebec Province of Canada for plenty of reasons.

There is no way that the Quebecois people have much more in common with California than with France, so that appears to be a false statement.

Quebec is equally connected to Canada, France, and Northeast/Midwest parts of the USA, and is a blend of those 3 regions. It is not connected to the Western USA nearly as much as those other 3 regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or