Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 02:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
let's put the matter to rest

top ten most visited American cities by foreigners.

10. Boston
9. Chicago
8. Washington DC
7. Honolulu
6. Las Vegas
5. San Francisco
4. Orlando (must be disney and the amusement parks)
3. Los Angeles
2. Miami
1. New york city

Houston occupies spot #12
20 Most Popular U.S. Cities Among International Travelers in 2013 – Skift

so while it's definitively known, it is obvious is not the first city one thinks of when one thinks US cities.

I personally don't even think about boston, orlando, chicago, honolulu, DC (quoting the list above)

When I hear american city NYC is the icon that comes to mind.... then Miami, and then LA because of hollywood
I think I even posted something like this a while back. That article even said that Houston is up and coming. However, you can lead a horse to water and all that.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:37 PM

16,612 posts, read 17,371,357 times
Foreign visitors to Houston are more likely to be there on business, and may end up living there for a while, and that puts a large amount of money into the local economy.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:38 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,242,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is true (though the OP didn't specify that the topic was "culturally international"), which is why I haven't been debating the OPINIONS that others have of Houston - I've simply been trying to provide accurate information in the hopes of educating others and correcting misconceptions about the fourth largest city in the United States.

For the record:

Here's a list of movies set in Houston:
List of films set in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a list of museums in Houston:
Houston Museums - Fine Art - Museum District - Children - Visit Houston

Here's a list of art galleries in Houston:
Houston Art Galleries and Houston Gallery Guide

Here's a list of the top tourist attractions in Houston:
The Rest of the Best: Houston's Top 10 Tourist Attractions | Houston Press

Here's a list of famous people from Houston:
List of people from Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a list of famous musicians from Houston - now I don't know about internationally, but in the US ZZ Topp, Clint Black, Lyle Lovett, Kenny Rogers, Blue October, Robert Earl Keen, and the Geto Boys are all pretty darn famous (along with, of course, Beyonce and Destiny's Child).
Latin rapper Carlos Coy, aka South Park Mexican, is from Houston.... Photo-1150654.80310 - Houston Chronicle
No, I'm not sure what the OP meant either, I just assumed it was about the diversity at first, but then realised they might be referring to Houston's international standing in terms of what it projects. I'm not saying that there haven't been movies set in Houston, or there aren't any museums or galleries, or famous actors/musicians haven't come from there (though Blue October, Robert Earl Keen, Geto Boys - hardly world-reknowned names are they?) , just that it's not that well-known for those things outside the US, maybe even outside the city itself? And as for tourist attractions, the fact that a shopping mall is among them is rather telling. I doubt anyone outside Texas would visit Houston just to go to the Galleria. I mean, it's nice as shopping malls go, but it's not 5th Avenue, Rodeo Drive, Bond Street or Harrods is it?
Anyway, don't mean to be down on Houston. It's a cool place and I've always found the people to be genuinely warm and friendly, and I've always had a good time there

Old 02-11-2015, 04:48 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,804,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This is probably true, there are a lot of English towns known because they have or have had Premier League teams, the likes of Leicester, Norwich, Southampton etc, I doubt that many people know anything more than the football about these places though!
It certainly helps them to be put on a map. People are more likely to know of Leicester than Coventry because of this! Anyway mine was an exaggeration to point out that Houston really is about as known internationally as Stoke

Old 02-11-2015, 04:49 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,495,912 times
Houston is a great place to live, but don't tell anyone...the traffic is getting worse. I want my commute to get better, so please don't move here. However, i wouldn't recommend spending your vacation dollars in Houston. There are much better cities for a vacation.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:52 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,804,096 times
People keep talking about diversity, but diversity doesn't make a city international, that would make and Brescia the most international cities in Italy and Slough/Bradford the most international city in the UK.

The truth is that Houston is hardly known outside of the USA because it has nothing which makes it stand out from the rest. Heck, until reading this thread i wasn't even aware that Beyonce was born there!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,242,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Houston is a great place to live, but don't tell anyone...the traffic is getting worse. I want my commute to get better, so please don't move here. However, i wouldn't recommend spending your vacation dollars in Houston. There are much better cities for a vacation.
You're right! Last time we drove from George Bush airport to Sugar Land (November 2014) we hit rush hour and it took 2-and-a -half hours to get there! On my previous visits it was about an hour, maybe slightly more.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah, who knew there were so many international cities.
I wonder how many of these cities have over 90 foreign consulates? I wonder how many are majority/minority cities? I wonder how many of them have international airports offering non stop flights to Seoul and Beijing or cities equally as far as those are from Houston? I wonder if 28 percent of their population is foreign born?

Those are the types of statistics and facts I'd consider if I was determining whether or not a city was "international." I guess you can use whatever criteria you like. So far it seems that your criteria consists of, "I didn't know these facts, I don't want to know them now and since that's the case, Houston isn't an international city."

Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think I even posted something like this a while back. That article even said that Houston is up and coming. However, you can lead a horse to water and all that.

Houston is ranked #12 in the list of US cities visited the most by international travelers. So - just because you may not consider it an international city or destination, or you may not appreciate what it offers, doesn't really change facts - at all.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
People keep talking about diversity, but diversity doesn't make a city international, that would make and Brescia the most international cities in Italy and Slough/Bradford the most international city in the UK.

The truth is that Houston is hardly known outside of the USA because it has nothing which makes it stand out from the rest. Heck, until reading this thread i wasn't even aware that Beyonce was born there!
It's the 12th most popular city destination among international visitors to the US. I'd say therefor that more people outside the US than you apparently realize do "know about Houston."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.