Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Italian city outside Europe?
New York City, NY 57 25.11%
New Haven, CT 1 0.44%
Providence, RI 9 3.96%
Boston, MA 4 1.76%
Philadelphia, PA 4 1.76%
Toronto, ON 23 10.13%
Melbourne, Australia 12 5.29%
Sydney, Australia 1 0.44%
Perth, Australia 1 0.44%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 78 34.36%
Montevideo, Uruguay 8 3.52%
Other 29 12.78%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:47 PM

231 posts, read 332,888 times

Advertisements

Toronto is very similar to melbourne in general, 2 cities that once had enormous euro vibes that have since experienced a major influx of Asians. Even walking the streets they feel similar. The difference is toronto isn't really defined by a few ethnicities, it has large amounts of everything and it all kinda blends in. I spent most of my time in toronto with Italians and Greeks and they are Pretty much exactly the same as the ones here (very proud of heritage). So the people are essentially the same.

The main differences are 1) if a person comes to melbourne it won't take them long to realise that Italians, Greeks, Chinese and Indians are what you would call "the big 4"...in toronto no ethnicities really stand out over others because they have a more larger multicultural mix, 2) melbourne actually feels more Asian, once again toronto has a lot more Asians then melbourne, they have 4 Chinatowns, but if you walk around downtown toronto at night it's just a mix nothing stands out, walk around the city centre of melbourne at night and it's about 85% Asian.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 AM

150 posts, read 165,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The German immigrants to BA mainly just retained their last names though and nothing else, right? That's my understanding of it. And a lot of the Germans there are either Jews or Nazis and their children, right?
They didn't just retain their names but they don't care as much as Italians do about their ancestry.

About Jews and Nazis... hell no , German immigration to South America is much older than WW2. Nazis who went to South America and descendants are probably something like 0,01% of all descendants of Germans and I'm sure most of them would hide their past, just like the Nazis who went to US or remained in Europe did.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Interesting, didn't know SP had so many Italians...I do also know it has a lot of Japanese Brazilians.
I felt a very strong Japanese presence in Sao Paulo, more so than Italian. Even at the airport Japanese is everywhere.

This is my personal opinion as an outsider: regardless of how many Italians went there, Sao Paulo feels more like a multicultural hub than an Italian city.

Buenos Aires and Argentine culture(especially the language) has a very large Italian imprint. Hearing Argentines talk, they sound like Italians speaking Spanish. Their Spanish has a lot of incorporated Italian words. Italian language and culture are just central there.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:04 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,216 times
Title of the post is Most Italian city outside of Europe. You can interpret that in different ways. Sheer numbers or , Italian influence, or Italian in feeling, etc etc. I've heard it said that the best pizza in the world outside Italy is in Sao Paulo. They take it very seriously there. lol
Certainly in sheer numbers the greatest influx of Italians came into Sao Paulo, New York, and Buenos Aires. Fewer numbers came into Melbourne Australia but they have had enormous influence on the food and cafe culture of that city and other influences as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post
They didn't just retain their names but they don't care as much as Italians do about their ancestry.

About Jews and Nazis... hell no , German immigration to South America is much older than WW2. Nazis who went to South America and descendants are probably something like 0,01% of all descendants of Germans and I'm sure most of them would hide their past, just like the Nazis who went to US or remained in Europe did.
I'll be the first to admit idk extensive history about the German immigration to Latin America. Would they be like the Germans in the US? The know they're German, sometimes they eat German food, and they're generally tall and light? Or are they like the US Italians who are proud to be Italian, regularly eat the food, generally darker, and keep quite a few of the customs/norms (hand talking, "Nonna", family first, etc.)?

And I know that BA and SP have some of the largest Jewish populations as well. Are they mainly German Jews contributing to a higher percentage of "Germans" in the cities, or are a lot of them Spanish/Portuguese/Italian? The US got mostly the German/Polish/Russian Jews. Montreal got a lot of the French Jews. Where did the Spanish/Portuguese/Italian end up? When I was in Israel a strangely high percentage of Spanish Jews seem to live in TLV, but I doubt all the Spanish Jews moved there, right?

Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 PM

93 posts, read 90,282 times
If Staten Island was it's own city, it would definitely be up there among the most Italian cities outside of Italy. I have heard some local New Yawkers refer to it as Guinea Island, WOP Island, and **** Island.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 PM

97 posts, read 201,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
I suppose I mean Irish culture and German culture is far easier incorporated into American culture, than say, Italian culture is.

I wouldn't agree with that. Both English and German culture and language are Germanic, they're protestant, northern european, etc. It's a lot easier to be a German in the US than it is to be one in Argentina, culturally speaking. Hence why so many emigrated to the US.
you clearly never been to the UK and Germany, both countries are nothing alike. Germans are far more organized and quiet/shy people. Brits tend to have a rebel soul inside and definitely love to break the laws, no surprise anarchism, skinheads, punks, etc were big during 70's in the UK.. every brit also tries at least once in his life time (or dream) about being a famous musician or start a music band, well perhaps not everybody but Its quite common, no such things about germans who overall think more collective about the benefit and progress of the whole society and not about personal succes. British culture is quite unique and complex, similar to france in complexity but different at the same time. German, Dutch and Scandinavian cultures (real germanic cultures) are nothing like british cultures.

And german immigration is highly overstated in the US, many of those germans werent from germany but allemanic germans or swiss from german speaking areas. The colonial english, scotch-Irish and Welsh are usually Ignored and underreported within american census. A lot with 1/8 italian, jewish, german or even Irish claim such ancestry but they are overwhelmingly scotch-Irish or English.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 PM

150 posts, read 165,017 times
Quote:
I'll be the first to admit idk extensive history about the German immigration to Latin America. Would they be like the Germans in the US? The know they're German, sometimes they eat German food, and they're generally tall and light? Or are they like the US Italians who are proud to be Italian, regularly eat the food, generally darker, and keep quite a few of the customs/norms (hand talking, "Nonna", family first, etc.)?

And I know that BA and SP have some of the largest Jewish populations as well. Are they mainly German Jews contributing to a higher percentage of "Germans" in the cities, or are a lot of them Spanish/Portuguese/Italian? The US got mostly the German/Polish/Russian Jews. Montreal got a lot of the French Jews. Where did the Spanish/Portuguese/Italian end up? When I was in Israel a strangely high percentage of Spanish Jews seem to live in TLV, but I doubt all the Spanish Jews moved there, right?
At least in Brazil I've never seen a German Jew. I've seen lots of Polish Jews though.

I don't think Spain, Portugal and Italy had a lot of Jews last century. Most of their Jews got killed or became Catholics to avoid persecution 400-500 years ago. For example in Brazil, some of the most common surnames are names of trees, which are the surnames those Jews adopted when they converted to catholicism centuries ago.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,040 times
Quote:
It depends a lot, and very much on where they live, there are cities that are a lot "german"

as well there are cities that are a lot "italian"

But there are many that live in places like São Paulo (I live in Petrópolis, like a I posted before the Italian party pictures), that probably have mixed ascendence. I personaly have germans, italians, swisses and portugueses ancestors.
We have here in Petrópolis a great german party too. German were the first colonizers of this city:

Last edited by Mr.Falcon; 06-02-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 PM

93 posts, read 90,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
It depends a lot, and very much on where they live, there are cities that are a lot "german"

as well there are cities that are a lot "italian"

But there are many that live in places like São Paulo (I live in Petrópolis, like a I posted before the Italian party pictures), that probably have mixed ascendence. I personaly have germans, italians, swisses and portugueses ancestors.
We have here in Petrópolis a great german party too. German were the first colonizers of this city:

Are mafia films like The Godfather popular among Italian Brazilians? Are there a lot of bakeries in Sao Paulo that serve cannoli?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World