Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 02:38 AM

134 posts, read 192,025 times

Advertisements

Should countries like Canada and the USA abolish tipping and instead pay their staff at eating establishments a miminum or living wage like every other country does. Why do they tip? why can't they be like Australia, New Zealand, Europe and East Asian countries and pay their staff a wage that they will be able to live on??? I never understood this??? should they get rid of this system???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 AM

536 posts, read 611,031 times
I've lived in China and traveled around SEA for nearly two years, staff at most restaurants aren't paid anything close to a living wage.

Any way, yes, tipping should be abolished, it is super outdated. I find the service in the states to be too fake because they are doing it just for the tips, I see better service abroad.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 AM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Typing became mandatory long time ago. Now 25% is expected. With that rate I doubt any waistaff would agree to minimum wage that gets
also taxed.

People working for tips make more than minimum wage.
What I find amusing is the reasoning that the restaurant prices will go up.
I guess, those people don't know math. The $10 meal with tax $0.87 and $2.50 tip is $13.37, but most people just focus on the $10 they see on the menu
Working for tips is also a great deal for business owners: they don't need to worry about payroll, deductions, insurance, and vacation...

The system is sick, but isn't going to change...

Old 06-30-2019, 07:40 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
The first people that will complain if you take away tipping are the servers themselves! A server can make a good living off of tips, much better than they can do over a "living wage". Obviously we are not talking about Denny's here. There is a reason many college students are servers - they can get that living wage working part time. It's more important that we tell people - hey don't be a cheap skate, tip your server, they work hard.

Other than that I saw a comment about service being much better outside of the US. I seriously question if that was meant as a joke. No way, no how, not even close. That is just the opposite to my experience and every single person I talk to, traveling international and eating of often for business. In fact it's a running joke with even my international colleagues complaining about service in their restaurants.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:33 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't see how you are going to be able to pass laws limiting to whom people can give their cash as a gift.

But, hey, if you are going to pass laws, make it illegal to give money to beggars.

At least the wait staff is working in exchange for their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World