Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Qatar 2 0.67%
United Arab Emirates 9 3.03%
Australia 10 3.37%
Canada 38 12.79%
United States of America 165 55.56%
Singapore 14 4.71%
United Kingdom 15 5.05%
Brazil 13 4.38%
Other 31 10.44%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM

252 posts, read 735,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Toronto...40 years ago you would not even see a black or brown face on the subway...NOW you hop on the subway..and there will be one person from every country on earth...on one car...seriously...I hate liberalism..but I have to admit..the experiment seems to have worked....There are woman who push those multi seated baby strollers..day care workers..I see babies from all races...and once they get into public school..all races get along...except within our small black ghettos...blacks have been taught by their grandmothers to hate whites....other than that...It makes me think of the Canadian flag...and a biblical line...."The leaf will be for the healing of the nations" Canada is a healer of the world...MOST immigrants love here...and are happy to have left the trouble spots in the world.
Very good post, had to rep you bigtime for this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
Very good post, had to rep you bigtime for this one
Like the idea of family- of national family- I even like the idea of nationalism...with a bit of protectionism tossed in for good measure. Canada has a lot of faults...and I am very conservative- But when I see little kids from all races and cultures walking down the street in their little group hand in hand..I can not deny that this is a very good thing. They all do become one culture in time- a superior culture..

When I see an inter-racial couple who are totally happy pushing the baby along on a sunny day- it bring me joy...because I want people to be happy and fulfilled. When I see the lowest of the low- drug addicted - mentally ill and homeless being treated with respect..it brings me joy also.. What I have seen is that LOVE does conquer all...some of the saddest cases that I know of improve with love and respect...There are crack heads that I was kind too ...some die- but some come to me and I see them in good health and with hope again....I have seen them recover.

Americans like to use terms like "dirt bag" or "scum"...their down trodden and hopeless have little or no chance of improvement...Hate increases the problem- love and respect solve the problem..

I don't believe I am saying this and I might appear like some tough brute to some- but I am proud of Canada..It is nation of all nations- built on LOVE....it might be considered a secular nation..but in truth it is a Christian empire..with the title removed....It is the light of the world...I don't care if we put a secular title on something that is holy....You get more results using real Christian doctrine - if you hide the what some feel is offensive..Typical bragging Christians don't understand that Christianity is not a religion- but A STATE OF MIND and spirit...

It is the old Christians who were wise enough to establish this great nation in it's present form...and not once did they use the Lords name in vanity...We are truly a nation that is for the healing of all nations and all nations are here...Thank GOD and the good men and woman who had wisdom.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Your definition of "multiculturalism" is nothing more than a large western construct and a large bias carried by many people in their narrow "view" of multiculturalism. What is the linguistic diversity of the UK? You have English as the primary language along with a few sub languages that are essentially dead. The immigrants usually learn English and teach it to their children, their mother language is often used at home and will likely die at as the children adopt the next generation.

Places like India, Indonesia and Nigeria have many different languages and many so in religion (traditional native religion) and ethnicity. Places such as these are so diverse you can find different street signs with different languages just by traveling to a different city with completely different customs that would be COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ALIEN TO THE PEOPLE IN THE OTHER DISTRICT! This is what multiculturalism is! People coming together and conforming to an already established norm, while slightly influencing it, in one country is called the "melting pot" and is a completely different concept to that of multiculturalism.
You obviously haven't been to London. The linguistic variety is immense. All the languages related to are spoken frequently in areas like Southall, the East End and in areas near me where owners of local businesses converse to their staff in one language and speak to their customers in another.

All those different languages you speak of exist in London. Along with Polish, Russian, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Potuguese and any language you think of around the globe. Migration is never put on hold for a while whilst everyone takes English classes and catches up with the native language. Currently the UK is welcoming a daily influx of Romanians, Serbs, Croats and Bulgarians along with more migrants from Asia, Africa and the Carribean each day who are beginning the same process that older immigrants from their native countries made when they were younger.

How many synagogues are there in India. How inclusive is India to the Greek Orthodox Church? How many Scientologists? And by the way, there are no laws against religious conversion in the UK. Muslims and Hindus are free to knock on dorrs and try and convert me anyday of the week if they deem fit. Anti-Religious conversion laws not the first thing that springs to mind when I think of the notion of inclusivity and democratic freedom in multi-culturalism. Not exactly an enlightened beacon of integration:-Freedom of religion in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's just a simple fact I'm afraid. I haven't got any 'western' agenda. In fact I couldn't care less about the kind of puerile trivialites you are patronisingly attaching to my views. I refuse to be pigeonholed into your conveniently packaged caricature.

You are making broad brush assumptions yourself whilst denouncing my own. It's just a fact that there is greater religious diversity in London as well as cultural. Alot of that has to do with economics and immigrants being attracted to London as a place to improve their lives and the lives of their families.

You may protest differently but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 10-01-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Americans like to use terms like "dirt bag" or "scum"...their down trodden and hopeless have little or no chance of improvement...Hate increases the problem- love and respect solve the problem.
I don't use those terms.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times
I think it's USA, maybe because of the big size, and the mix of ethnicities.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
List of countries by foreign-born population in 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

U.S. and Germany etc. Going by the % of large countries.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Default In 2006 the United States accepted more legal immigrants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What percentage of Canada's population is hispanic/latino? I still think the U.S. has the highest overall percentage of people from all continents and places in those continents.
Immigration to the United States is a complex demographic phenomenon that has been a major source
of population growth and cultural change throughout much of the history of the United States. The economic, social, and political aspects of immigration have caused controversy regarding ethnicity, economic benefits, jobs for non-immigrants, settlement patterns, impact on upward social mobility, crime, and voting behavior. In 2006 the United States accepted more legal immigrants as permanent residents than all other countries in the world combined. After ethnic quotas on immigration were removed in 1965 the number of actual (first-generation) immigrants living in the United States eventually quadrupled, from 9.6 million in 1970 to about 38 million in 2007. Over one million persons were naturalized as U.S. citizens in 2008. The leading countries of origin of immigrants to the United States were Mexico, India, the Philippines, and China. Nearly 14 million immigrants entered the United States from 2000 to 2010.

Contemporary immigrants settle predominantly in seven states, California, New York, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Illinois, comprising about 44% of the U.S. population as a whole. The combined total immigrant population of these seven states is 70% of the total foreign-born population as of 2000. If current birth rate and immigration rates were to remain unchanged for another 70 to 80 years, the U.S. population would double to nearly 600 million.

The top twelve emigrant countries in 2006 were Mexico (173,753), People's Republic of China (87,345), Philippines (74,607), India (61,369), Cuba (45,614), Colombia (43,151), Dominican Republic (38,069), El Salvador (31,783), Vietnam (30,695), Jamaica (24,976), South Korea (24,386), Guatemala (24,146). Other countries comprise an additional 606,370. In fiscal year 2006, 202 refugees from Iraq were allowed to resettle in the United States.

In 1900, when the U.S. population was 76 million, there were an estimated 500,000 Hispanics. The Census Bureau projects that by 2050, one-quarter of the population will be of Hispanic descent. This demographic shift is largely fueled by immigration from Latin America

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asians, more than Latinos, are largest group of new arrivals in U.S. June 19th, 2012

The American dream began later for Asian-Americans than other immigrant groups because of racial discrimination.

It was not until 1965, during the height of the civil rights movement and robust economic growth, that the United States opened its doors to immigration from all parts of the world.
The decision paved the way for Asian-Americans to grow from less than 1% of the population more than 40 years ago to nearly 6% now.

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/19/asian-americans-more-than-latinos-are-largest-group-of-new-arrivals-in-u-s/

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Here is a Breakdown of the languages normally spoken at home by the people in the Sydney Metro Area. Derived from the spreadsheets of the ABS.

English 62.22%
Chinese Languages -Various -6.47%
Arabic 4.07%
Indo- Ayran Languages - Various 3.42%
Vietnamese 1.94%
Greek 1.84%
Italian 1.56%
Fillipino Languages - Various 1.22%
Spanish 1.13%
Korean 1.05%
Iranic Languages - Various .78%
Indonesian .54%
Assyiran .5%
Tamil .5%
Turkish .5%
Croation .5%
Macedonian .5%
Serbian .5%

Other Langauges spoken by less than .5% of the population - 10.76%

I Would love to see what Toronto looks like!

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-01-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,794 times
Here is it for Toronto city pop.:

English 56%
Chinese Languages (Cantonese, Mandarin etc.) 8.5%
Indians (Punjabi, Tamil, Gujarati etc.)8%
Italian 4%
Filipino Languages 2.5%
French 1.5%
First Nations 1%
Other Asian Languages 11%
Other European Languages 9%
Other Languages 1%

ALthough the topic at hand is about countries here not individual cities i think that's a big distinction .

Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Here is it for Toronto:

English 56%
Chinese Languages (Cantonese, Mandarin etc.) 8.5%
Indians (Punjabi, Tamil, Gujarati etc.)8%
Italian 4%
Filipino Languages 2.5%
French 1.5%
First Nations 1%
Other Asian Languages 11%
Other European Languages 9%
Other Languages 1%

ALthough the topic at hand is about countries here not individual cities i think that's a big distinction .
Thanks and i know, just trying to show what mass immigration can do to places that are preceived as predomintaly White and therefore "not multicultural" , which seems to be the underlying opinon of this forum, the same applies to countries as well.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-01-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World