U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Qatar 2 0.69%
United Arab Emirates 9 3.13%
Australia 10 3.47%
Canada 36 12.50%
United States of America 159 55.21%
Singapore 14 4.86%
United Kingdom 15 5.21%
Brazil 12 4.17%
Other 31 10.76%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:42 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,960,318 times

Advertisements

Qatar, UAE, Australia, Canada, United States, Singapore, United Kingdom, other?

Sorry if i left out a obvious one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM

363 posts, read 595,575 times
The uk, canada, and U.S. seem the most multicultural. Most likely the U.S. though overall.

Not sure about Australia......

Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM

20,663 posts, read 22,045,024 times
Probably the U.S. I don't think you'll find a nation that has a residential population with higher percentages of people who originated from all over the world.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM

87,519 posts, read 81,117,526 times
I was surprised to hear that France gets a wide variety of immigrants from all over the world. Someone was telling me that their son in gradeschool in Paris had a Mongolian classmate. So even though the US has a reputation for being very multicultural and a prime destination for immigrants, I'm voting for France. Enough with the American flag-waving, already.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 PM

420 posts, read 746,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was surprised to hear that France gets a wide variety of immigrants from all over the world. Someone was telling me that their son in gradeschool in Paris had a Mongolian classmate. So even though the US has a reputation for being very multicultural and a prime destination for immigrants, I'm voting for France. Enough with the American flag-waving, already.
So you're basing your thoughts on a Mongolian classmate of someone's son in Paris? A joke, right?

And yes, Paris is very multicultural, but what about the rest of the country? Not sure how many Mongolian classmates you'll find in smaller towns or cities...

It's not "American flag-waving" when you're assessing multiculturalism. It's not like it is an overrated part of American identity.

My vote goes for the USA, then England.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
So you're basing your thoughts on a Mongolian classmate of someone's son in Paris? A joke, right?

And yes, Paris is very multicultural, but what about the rest of the country? Not sure how many Mongolian classmates you'll find in smaller towns or cities...

It's not "American flag-waving" when you're assessing multiculturalism. It's not like it is an overrated part of American identity.

My vote goes for the USA, then England.
I was going to say England originally, but then I decided to go with the Mongolian classmate. I have a fondness for Mongols.

You're right, probably most of France's immigrants are in and around Paris. And you would be assuming I wasn't aware of all the Africans, Near-Easterners and other Asians....why? Because you're smarter than everyone else?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM

14,873 posts, read 18,960,318 times
Has anyone been to Qatar or UAE?

The largest ethnic group in the UAE is South Asians and they only make up 42% of the population.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Has anyone been to Qatar or UAE?
I thought Qatar was an interesting choice. It's multicultural, AFAIK, for two main reasons: imported (temporary) cheap labor, and luxury homes it sells to global fat-cats. Unlike the US, England, or France, though, it's not really a haven for political or economic refugees who have the option to get permanent resident status and eventually, citizenship, is it? If you have more info, by all means, please post.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 PM

420 posts, read 746,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was going to say England originally, but then I decided to go with the Mongolian classmate. I have a fondness for Mongols.

You're right, probably most of France's immigrants are in and around Paris. And you would be assuming I wasn't aware of all the Africans, Near-Easterners and other Asians....why? Because you're smarter than everyone else?
I was being a bit facetious with the Mongolian comment, and I am sure you are aware of the other ethnic groups living in France. I just thought it was funny you specifically mentioned this Mongolian child in your post but no other groups.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 PM

641 posts, read 887,737 times
Canada, with USA a close 2nd.

last 20 to 30 years, Canada multicultural Canada has become very multicultural.
Canada takes in immigrants from almost every country in the world.
Check out any large Canadian city and you will be amazed,
especially Toronto, not many US cities are as diverse, maybe NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World