Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Female French women visiting New York; differences between America and France, healthcare, religious views, standard of living, US French relations

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyFromFrance View Post
I have not a bad opinion of the United States, ij not, I would not go in a few months! Also you ace say "caricature" , but caricature it's not the reflection of exaggerated reality??

I'm agree with you when you say that the media influence...since alaways... The westerners don't see you like idiots, but more like influencable people...

" I hope you can have the same happy times in my country" by Xpat
---) Thank you very much!
So you have not been to America yet?

A caricature is a reflection of the reality which is presented to you. I've spent much time in France and find that many French people who have not been to the USA actually only know a caricature of a caricature.

Americans "Influenceable?" I find this funny because that is often how Americans see Europeans - as people who follow their leaders without asking too many questions.

I would love to hear from you after your visit and see what your impressiona are. Where will you be going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 19,316 times
And about Italy? What do you think abaut Italy?

Old 10-11-2007, 08:31 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Default About Italy

It depends what you want to do in Italy. Visit, study, work, retire?

In any case, it's a fun country - lots of history, lots of contemporary drama in everyday public life, good food, and usually welcoming of foreigners - except that if you work there it becomes a bit tedious because 1) the economy does not offer the depth of career opportunities for the average person as a country like France, Germany or the US, and ii) the taxation is very high and you do not receive in return the same level of services as in France or some northern European countries. Many Italian researchers and small entrepreneurs leave the country to find better opportunities elsewhere.

If you want to visit, study or retire with lots of money, there is no better place on earth.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
Quote:
I would like to know Americans opinion about the France??
I don't have a problem with the French. The exchange students I've met are normal people.
However, I have heard my friends say that the French have a high disdain for those who speak Canadian French. Unfortunately for us, that is how the majority of our High schools teach the language. I took Spanish, so that's why I haven't encountered this first hand.

And then, The media mucks it all up with propaganda.
This is not my view, this is how the media portrays the French:
Cartoons will often show French characters as stylized mimes. The characters are dressed in black and white striped shirts with big noses, heavy accents, a very colorful "artist hat", and are somewhat snobbish. These characters are very romantic, with poetic language. They are cunning, sly, intelligent and creative, but are not shown as athletic.
A good reference of this would be "Bomb-voyage" from the 3D animated movie "The Incredibles". Another reference is in the movie "The Mask" with Jim Carrey towards the end, on his date with "Tina" (Cameron Diaz).

Usually, this is done in a satire or comedy. References to the "stylized" French doesn't often appear in serious media. (documentaries, The News, things that have Non-fiction content)

Last edited by Azura.; 10-11-2007 at 01:28 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 PM

59 posts, read 340,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura. View Post
However, I have heard my friends say that the French have a high disdain for those who speak Canadian French.
This reminds me of a story. When I was a tender young lad of only about 23, I had to fly to San Francisco to Montreal for business. A few days before I left I ran into a French coworker (he was from St. Tropez) and mentioned the trip and how I'd never before been to Quebec.

He took me aside and asked, "Can you speak French?"

"No", I replied.

"Good", he smiled, "Neither can the Quebecers."

Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 AM

53 posts, read 122,442 times
Xpat, I don't have say that this caricature be similar to reality!
Only there are some points which are founded, but very exaggerated, it's true...!

And well like you, we are not influenceable! as soon as there is dissension, there are demonstrations if we are not listened to... for example the SNCF (train) ---) They are the kings of the strike! :-/
In a few months I go to new - York, I'm a little afraid...!lol normally for 2 weeks!! I am very impatient!But I would like to also go in the south... I would like to go to California, Texas...

For A. Audrey, I never went to Italy, although it is a very pretty country (of after what I saw of the reports TV.!)

For Azura , we don't have any contempt for Canadian French!! (or I don't know ...!lol) they make us laugh with the exaggerated accent that all... but it is not mockery... finally I hope...??? :-( ...I'm agree witj you when you say that are the media which do that, they emphasize or exaggerate the criteria which they want... but it is not new... me I like all our differences of caricatures (it is for that I am there! ... I want to know which points are true (but exaggerated, which are false...) I'm very curious and I like your country really it's for that which I inform myself before coming... that I do not pass for a " pro - caricaturalist!! )lol
It's true that we have a cinematographic culture perhaps less (much???) comic... There arn't many funny films which leave or then it's well films not (Brice of Nice, or Rrrrrrr ---) only the tittle...No comment!) the film which one looks in family, but only once c'est good!lol

For jamesh ,I know that the accent of Quebecers makes us laugh, but sincerely I do not think that it is a general information when you say that one disparages Quebecers, I don't agree with you, one laughs of the accent, but that all!

++!

And thank you for your comments!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 AM

59 posts, read 340,499 times
Quote:
For jamesh ,I know that the accent of Quebecers makes us laugh, but sincerely I do not think that it is a general information when you say that one disparages Quebecers, I don't agree with you, one laughs of the accent, but that all!
Hi Audrey. You misunderstood. I wasn't giving an opinion either way. I was relating (what I hoped was) a funny story that seemed rather fitting given the topic.

Er, what was the topic again.... ?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:52 AM

Youps Jamesh ...! I'm sorry ...
Now I will read 4 or 5 times the answers before answering... I believe that it is a good idea...no??!

++!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
I would like to know Americans opinion about the France??

And me I you will say of what we think of you!

It's just by curiosity!

++!

p.s: I would like to know...: You think what of our new President?
Hi Audrey! Personally I don't know any French people so it wouldn't be fair for me to judge. But what we hear about the French is that you are all rude and don't like us and think we are all fat,lol. I guess that's about it...
I'm curious about something though...my ancestors on my fathers side are French Canadian from Quebec...my husband says the French don't like the Canadians...is that true? What are the France's feelings on the French in Canada? (I'm a genealogy nut )

Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 AM

French doesn't have opinions particular on the québekois, ahh if! their exaggerated accent is very funny....
I have a friend who goes there in February, there I will be able to tell you! because sincerely I don't have a particular opinion...
...Sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World