U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM

14,753 posts, read 25,701,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Capital of Central America: Mexico City

Capital of Spanish-speaking South America: Buenos Aires

Financial, cultural capital of Brazil: Sao Paulo or Rio
Couldn't rep you again, but I think this sums it up nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 PM

81 posts, read 182,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Latin America is way too big and has way too many big cities to designate one. But IMHO, I would say Miami. Perhaps not financially, but when it comes to media, culture, companies, etc. I think Miami is.

I also think people think Latin America is a lot more connected than it really is. They think it's connected like Europe. I mean Argentina has nothing to do with Mexico and vice versa. Ecuador has nothing to do with Brazil. Puerto Rico and Cuba have nothing to do with Chile.

I think it makes more sense to break into three Latin American groups, North/central America, south America and the Caribbean.
I agree......being from Brazil, I can tell you that in general we are quite disconnected from the rest of latin america......the exposure we get from other latin american countries is little to none in most cases......american tourists often complain that they don't find decent mexican food here, and that's because it's actually not a big thing here.....if it wasn't for a few soap operas and TV shows (most of them are old), we would know even less about Mexico.....Brazil's biggest connection with Argentina is soccer, other than that, people don't know much about them either........it's very rare to find latin channels on cable, apart from some very huge latin artists such as Shakira or Ricky Martin, their music don't get that much airplay either.....the only two things I can think of about Venezuela are Chavez and models/misses......so, you get the picture......

Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM

42,672 posts, read 66,900,671 times
A "capital" is a seat of central government, where the administrative offices of the executive, legislative and judicial branches are located. Like Canberra, Ottawa, Bern, Washington, or on a sub-national level, like Frankfort, Tallahassee, Olympia, Harrisburg. Latin America has no central government, so neither has nor needs a "capital". Often, but not always, it is situated in the country's most populous city, which is easy to look up.

If you want me to pick one, just as an exercise, I'll say Medellin, Colombia. It's a big enough city to have the necessary infrastructure already in place, it's centrally located among all Latin American nations, it's a conveniently Spanish-speaking location, and it's not already the capital of an existing country. Medellin is relatively prosperous, as Latin American cities go, it has a great culture and history, and Colombians as a whole have a truly and proudly Latin American spirit which is not found in many other more "international" cities.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-09-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 AM

354 posts, read 838,378 times
Quote:
Latin America is way too big and has way too many big cities to designate one. But IMHO, I would say Miami. Perhaps not financially, but when it comes to media, culture, companies, etc. I think Miami is.

I also think people think Latin America is a lot more connected than it really is. They think it's connected like Europe. I mean Argentina has nothing to do with Mexico and vice versa. Ecuador has nothing to do with Brazil. Puerto Rico and Cuba have nothing to do with Chile.

I think it makes more sense to break into three Latin American groups, North/central America, south America and the Caribbean.
Latin America is connected with one another through language. but I get what you mean, there are no open borders and no common currency like in Europe.

Last edited by Avex; 10-10-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 AM

354 posts, read 838,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Capital of Central America: Mexico City

Capital of Spanish-speaking South America: Buenos Aires

Financial, cultural capital of Brazil: Sao Paulo or Rio
Mexico isn't in central America.

I think it's more like this (population based)

Capital of Spanish speaking America/the Spanish speaking world: Mexico City

Financial, cultural capital of brazil: Sao Paulo

Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM

42,672 posts, read 66,900,671 times
Quote:
L

I also think people think Latin America is a lot more connected than it really is. They think it's connected like Europe. I mean Argentina has nothing to do with Mexico and vice versa.
I'll never forget this quote:

"Those are all different countries down there!" -- Ronald Reagan, returning home from his first presidential state visit to Latin America.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 PM

174 posts, read 117,007 times
Default Mexico City - Capital of Spanish Speaking Americas

I would argue that CDMX is the leading city of Spanish speaking Latin America.

The reasons I would cite for it's leading position are:

1-It's larger population (+20 million people in the Greater CDMX area)
2-It's role as a center for Spanish language media/entertainment
3-The size of it's economy
4-It's more developed infrastructure
5-It's proximity to English speaking North America

To elaborate more on these 5 points...

1. CDMX is the largest city proper of all the major Spanish speaking cities in Latin America. Now, numbers dont' mean everything - the productivity of a population is what really matters. That I will address when I get to the point about the city's economy.

2. Many people on this forum have cited Miami as being the leading center of Latin America because it is a center for Spanish language media. However, what many people don't recognize is that the 2 biggest media companies that have operations in Miami, Univision and Telemundo, cater mainly to the Spanish speaking American market.

Yes, these 2 do broadcast their programs in other countries, but Mexico City based Televisa and TV Azteca are far larger and cater to the whole of the Spanish speaking Americas. Televisa is the largest Spanish speaking network not only in Mexico but the largest in Latin America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televisa

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that Latin America is not as connected as Europe - not true!
Spanish speakers move across borders to other Spanish speaking countries with more frequency than English speakers move about the Anglosphere.

Many of the biggest singers and actors in Spanish media (and they come from all over - Argentina, Chile, Peru, Cuba, and even Spain) come to Mexico City to cement their careers because they know that Mexico City is the established center for Spanish speaking media across the region.

Many prominent artists I can think of who relocated to Mexico City are Libertad Lamarque (Argentina), Lucho Gatica (Chile), Rocio Durcal (Spain), Sara Montiel (Spain), Sebastian Rulli (Argentina), Mon Laferte (Chile), etc.

3. The size of the economy in CDMX is larger than any of it's closest peers (Buenos Aires, Lima, Bogota, or
Santiago De Chile).

4. The larger concentration of wealth in CDMX is also reflected in the city's infrastructure. Mexico City has the largest subway system in Latin America and the 2nd largest in all of the Americas in both track mileage and daily users after the NYC subway system.

Currently, CDMX is also building the region's largest airport. Furthermore, CDMX is the most visited city in all of Latin America.

MXCity

5. The last item I would include is the city's proximity to the largest economy in the world, the USA.
Of course this has always been a mixed blessing for Mexico.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:52 PM

4,366 posts, read 6,641,580 times
Sao Paulo, though Mexico City isn't too far behind.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2016t.html

Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 PM

174 posts, read 117,007 times
Default CDMX - leading city of Latin America

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Sao Paulo, though Mexico City isn't too far behind.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012
According to the latest (2017) Global Power City Index, CDMX came out slightly ahead of Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires.

Source: http://mori-m-foundation.or.jp/engli...i2/index.shtml

Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 7,465,556 times
Los Angheles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World