Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM

301 posts, read 521,079 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that Americans on welfare only get $250 dollars a month, that's just $60 dollars a week.
In Britain people get three times more than that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no i dont feel that way at all because i have lived overseas and i know them and how they live and what is normal for them.
sweetest words i ever heard after 7 years, when i came into oakland airport, welcome home huck.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Yes. I would like to live and travel in Central/South America for a while-Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Nicaragua, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil. I've already been to Costa Rica, Puerto Rico and DR but would love to go back. I really would like to be completely fluent in Spanish before I go, although I suppose that is not completely necessary as it would be easier to learn the language when immensed in it.

I am also getting dual-citizenship with Ireland soon and would like to travel around Europe as well as I have only been to Ireland and England.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think most of us just simply don't care about how other people live their life and i'm glad i don't know anybody that goes around calling peoples cultures ignorant because its not how they want it to be.

The so called "American Individualism" part of our society might shock some people, i know many people are confused why some polls show that the majority of Americans don't want universal healthcare..

The things i find shocking are people that worry so much about what goes on in other peoples lives.

So many people from other countries are so bothered that we don't travel oversees as much as they do and why we don't have universal healthcare.... and we just simply don't care lol.
Idk if you are American or not but as an American i get confused why people are so critical of our culture and how we do things and claim to be "worldly" "open minded" and "cultured" people
Take it as a compliment. We are concerned for you guys. We just want the best for you. We just hope you'll realise this and take matters into your own hands by sorting your shyt out.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
The ignorant Americans stereotype is SO blown out of proportion. Yes we have a SEGMENT of the population who is ignorant, but it shouldn't be a surprise that all other countries have segments of their population who are that way, too. You will find plenty of people in the UK, Germany, China, etc. who know nothing about the outside world if you wanted to ask them and put them on TV. Ours get put on TV and laughed at both at home and around the world, and so we get the image that all or a large percentage of us are like that, which is of course not true. I mean after all- the Jay Leno skit called "Jay Walking" where they find dumb people on the street and ask them questions- that skit is funny to most people because most of the viewing audience is in no way as ignorant as the people they are showing!

We have lots of people doing lots of big, complicated things in this country. That's why we have products, brands, etc. that are universally known across the world. Just here in my metro area, LOTS of people work in biotech and software development fields- so many that sometimes it seems that is all we have in the area- and no dumb or ignorant people could get to the level of doing that kind of work.

My point is that the US is a big target on the world map for having the size, riches, and aggressive grip on the world that our government has- and so our "dumb" people get a lot more attention than those in other countries do.

And as others mentioned, this country is not as perfect as some will try to have everyone believe, but overall we do have about the best overall "package" for standard of living that you could find. We have a better employment situation than most of the western European countries, but yet they have the better social safety net such as more paid vacation time, universal medical care, etc. We have lower cost of living- probably the lowest in the fully developed world. We complain here about how expensive everything is, how much we pay in taxes, or how much housing costs- but try going to one of the few other fully developed nations with the top level standard of living (western Europe/Australia/Canada) and you will find that we have cheaper housing, lower taxes, and cheaper goods. The fact is ALL fully developed nations are expensive these days, in fact a struggle for lower middle class and below to really keep up- so we certainly wouldn't escape any of that by moving elsewhere.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
To the OP:
I really recommend you if you can to go on a working holiday program overseas. If you are 30 or under you can get 1 year working visa here in Australia.

Of course since your father is German, you can go over and you can be eligible for a Euro passport. I believe you can be eligible to immigrate to Germany as well. Yet I recommend you first to spend a lot of time over there before you decide to move over there.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Take it as a compliment. We are concerned for you guys. We just want the best for you. We just hope you'll realise this and take matters into your own hands by sorting your shyt out.

The thing is, if an American says something about what they think things should be like in another country, they're automatically labeled as close minded "patriotic" Americans. Yet, Europeans (and other countries) do it to us all the time.

No one usually sees the hypocrisy.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,236,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I can't believe that Americans on welfare only get $250 dollars a month, that's just $60 dollars a week.
Well, no. UK Job Seekers' Allowance is £71 a week if you're over 25, which is USD118.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Well, no. UK Job Seekers' Allowance is £71 a week if you're over 25, which is USD118.
Jeez that's little. Here it is $225 a week + possible rent subsidies.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:00 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I'm a caseworker and it depends how many children you have. A single mother with 2 children can receive $403 per Month in cash and $497 per Month in Food Stamps (an EBT card that can only be used for food and non-alcoholic drinks) if they jump through hoops when first applying. If you can get into subsidized/public housing then it is possible to live or start somewhat of a financially comfortable life. Of course wait lists for subsidized housing are years long and the locations can be very dangerous places to actually raise a family. There is also a 5 year maximum on cash assistance and it is not possible to receive if you don't have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World