Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,980,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I just wish people that don't want to live in the US wouldn't. Just leave already. Swim, walk, crawl, cycle, do whatever you have to do, but get out. Then, the rest of us won't have to hear you whine anymore.
Just because some feel their home country is no longer a good fit for them is no reason to start the flag waving. Some people don't like what has happened to this country and feel powerless to change it. Others might have always had the urge to live on another continent. If that suits them better, so be it. It doesn't mean they are any less an American than anyone else. I don't think this thread should turn into a politics debate nor should some play the flag waving, love it or leave it tune. Those making the most noise are often the ones doing the least to make it a better place to live. How many are out there volunteering for a non political cause they believe in? How about just sticking to the OP's original topic question and leave the rest for the politics section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Just because some feel their home country is no longer a good fit for them is no reason to start the flag waving. Some people don't like what has happened to this country and feel powerless to change it. Others might have always had the urge to live on another continent. If that suits them better, so be it. It doesn't mean they are any less an American than anyone else. I don't think this thread should turn into a politics debate nor should some play the flag waving, love it or leave it tune. Those making the most noise are often the ones doing the least to make it a better place to live. How many are out there volunteering for a non political cause they believe in? How about just sticking to the OP's original topic question and leave the rest for the politics section.
He is unhappy here, so he needs to find somewhere he is happy. I did read the OP, and his unhappiness with this country is apparent. Also, not every section of the US is the same. I live near the coast, and people are active, do care about the environment, and give of their time and money for charity.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,937,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I just wish people that don't want to live in the US wouldn't. Just leave already. Swim, walk, crawl, cycle, do whatever you have to do, but get out. Then, the rest of us won't have to hear you whine anymore.
I hear you, Georgianbelle--if the U.S. is the backward, hopeless, uncultured wasteland that America's Europhile pseudo-sophisticates keep lecturing us about, then yes, they should take the initiative to "better" their situation and leave already (hopefully you aren't too wealthy though; if that's the case, the IRS still values the financial benefits of your citizenship enough that it may not let you flee with your financial assets). Their complete disillusionment offers nothing beneficial in terms of actually solving this country's many, many problems whilst also preserving what little unity we still actually have.

For anyone who believes that Georgianbelle's comment is exemplary of hyper-nationalist flag-waving, well, try to look at it this way: when a given group of people (a nationality, for example) are incessantly bombarded by unfounded, polemic generalizations about how collectively stupid, materialistic and primitive they and their country are from domestic and foreign critics, it eventually tends to leave them feeling a little...jaded (to say the least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I really don't know how one can become fascinated with endless uniformity. This reminds me olden days when I was living in isolated groups for extended periods of time. Groups were mostly males with a few quite ugly female add ons. I tell you, every day spent with those women made them prettier and prettier, at the end of 30 days they looked like world class beauties. The same way with "Americana" or American politics for that matter (Romney or Obama, huh?). The uniformity is so overwhelming that it makes the slightest differences to stand out.
If I'm actually getting the jist of your comment, then allow me to remark that this is the sort of critical nonsense I've come to utterly despise.

To suggest that more than 300,000,000 people in a large, regionally diverse country exist under across-the-board uniformity in regard to culture and politics is just as uneducated as it is pretentious.

While I could indeed be wrong, I sort of get the feeling that you're one of America's many foreign critics; thus, I wonder if your evaluation of the U.S./Americans is based on long-term, extensive travel and/or residency in the U.S., or, on the other hand, if it's based on all that imported American TV you watch in addition to having spent two weeks in Los Angeles (which usually sums up American cultural experience for the U.S.'s most vehement foreign critics).

Old 10-27-2012, 03:52 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,305,619 times
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I really don't know how one can become fascinated with endless uniformity. This reminds me olden days when I was living in isolated groups for extended periods of time. Groups were mostly males with a few quite ugly female add ons. I tell you, every day spent with those women made them prettier and prettier, at the end of 30 days they looked like world class beauties. The same way with "Americana" or American politics for that matter (Romney or Obama, huh?). The uniformity is so overwhelming that it makes the slightest differences to stand out.
Endless uniformity? Do we live in the same country? Like I said, the more I drive across this great country, the more I realize how incredible and fascinating it really is.

Just a few weeks ago, I spent a few days driving across the state of South Dakota and I have to say, I was amazed!

I visited Badlands National Park, also had the opportunity to visit the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Mount Rushmore and some ghost towns- what an amazing variety of landscapes, realities, cultures, lifestyles-all this in only 1 American state, there are other 49.

I have been to Europe many times and I have never seen any European country that would have the variety of landscapes, towns, cultures that you see even in a "non-touristy" state like South Dakota.

I saw abandoned gas stations, ghost towns, miles and miles of nothing but emptiness, even the experience of visiting the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, one of the poorest places in the USA absolutely blew my mind- sorry but as much as this country sucks in some ways- Americana is something that fascinates people all over the world- I love this land besides all her problems.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,480,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
-

Endless uniformity? Do we live in the same country? Like I said, the more I drive across this great country, the more I realize how incredible and fascinating it really is.
Some people just can't stand when someone says something good about the united states.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,037,072 times
You know there are a lot of europeans who dream about living in the USA... Do you think Europe should become the USA just for them? If people can drive around who cares. Let them do what they want. If you want to want to live in Europe however then move to Europe.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,542,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
You know there are a lot of europeans who dream about living in the USA... Do you think Europe should become the USA just for them? If people can drive around who cares. Let them do what they want. If you want to want to live in Europe however then move to Europe.
Where did you get the idea a lot of Europeans want to live in the US? And for Americans who want to live in Europe, there's something called a visa and you're likely not to get one.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Where did you get the idea a lot of Europeans want to live in the US? And for Americans who want to live in Europe, there's something called a visa and you're likely not to get one.
True. Most Americans think to get a visa for any country in Europe or Canada, the only prerequisite is that you have to hate the GOP it seems like 99% of the time if your primary motivation to move out of the US is because of politics (and 99% of the time it's Democrats making such threats), chances are you're gonna be stuck in the US for a long time.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,542,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
True. Most Americans think to get a visa for any country in Europe or Canada, the only prerequisite is that you have to hate the GOP it seems like 99% of the time if your primary motivation to move out of the US is because of politics (and 99% of the time it's Democrats making such threats), chances are you're gonna be stuck in the US for a long time.
Yep. And what makes it funny is that these same Americans are anti-immigration to the US, but they think all of Europe would love to welcome Americans to their countries.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Since most people can't leave the US, Democrats just stay and wish for the US to become more like Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Yep. And what makes it funny is that these same Americans are anti-immigration to the US, but they think all of Europe would love to welcome Americans to their countries.
Actually I think Republicans are more anti-immigration, and they have no desire to leave the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World