U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM

14,607 posts, read 15,388,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
America does have a justifiable reputation around the world of being arrogant - I do think that saying it's the greatest country in the world as a fact, not opinion, is arrogant.
America is the greatest country in the world because its home and i lived here all my life and i love the culture. i'm also very patriotic person and people look down on me because of that, i tell them "Boy i dont need to listen to you, im about to go get me some Apple pie and Budweiser, i'm gonna go play with my gun and run around chanting USA USA USA!"

Some people just don't like it when i'm happy i guess? idk i find it cute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM

132 posts, read 116,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
Like I always feel that the USA isn't my home, and that I don't belong here, and that I should have been born in England. I just wanted to know do y'all ever feel that way? That you don't belong in your country of residence? My great great great great grandparents came from the U.K. My Heritage is 70% British. I love everything British. The culture, the country, and most importantly the people. I hope to visit this BEAUTIFUL country soon. I can't wait to move there. (My Fiance is British)
Rule, Britannia and God Save the Queen!!
Those are all overly romanticised notions of what Britain is like. The reality is quite different. I do like the UK, but having lived there for just over 2 years, it has plenty of problems that you may or may not be aware of such a the binge drinking culture, antisocial yobbish behaviour, very high cost of living when it comes to property and an ecpnomy in bad shape, plus poor infrastructure from decades of underinvestment.

I like he UK, but I don't agree with the romanticism. You are painting a very different picture from the reality.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 PM

3,126 posts, read 4,642,060 times
Nope, my mum is English (born in Kent), i have being to and spent several years living in England, had lots of fun and met lots of lovely people, however in no way do I feel that i should have being born there.

I suppose the good thing is, if things get really bad down here i can always go back to the UK and start again

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-21-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,001,251 times
Yes, I feel like it sometimes. Maybe part of it is I'm just so sick of how things have become here. I don't see the need for smart replies to the OP's question. I hope she will be happy settling in the UK. And unless she is rambling on every minute about how British she feels, I can't imagine people having a go at her for liking the country and being happy she moved there.

Southerngirl1989, Have you seen the BBC special on the London Underground (the Tube)? Its a 6 part series, and quite interesting, I found it on You Tube. You might enjoy it. Best of Luck to you.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM

24,670 posts, read 19,686,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
Those are all overly romanticised notions of what Britain is like. The reality is quite different. I do like the UK, but having lived there for just over 2 years, it has plenty of problems that you may or may not be aware of such a the binge drinking culture, antisocial yobbish behaviour, very high cost of living when it comes to property and an ecpnomy in bad shape, plus poor infrastructure from decades of underinvestment.

I like he UK, but I don't agree with the romanticism. You are painting a very different picture from the reality.
I had those opinions of Britain as well. Then I actually went there and it reminded me a lot of the US. The same old nice parts mixed in with bad parts that are in close proximity to each other. Since OP has a boyfriend in the southeast, maybe he'd like to offer her a tour of Slough, Langley, and Staines.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM

132 posts, read 116,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I had those opinions of Britain as well. Then I actually went there and it reminded me a lot of the US. The same old nice parts mixed in with bad parts that are in close proximity to each other. Since OP has a boyfriend in the southeast, maybe he'd like to offer her a tour of Slough, Langley, and Staines.
I don't think that a lot of Americans understand how 'ghetto' (in their own terms) many British people are. A lot of bottom feeding degenerates there who are the lowest of the low. It is a beautiful country in many places, but it isn't a land of fairy tales and politeness. It's a country in decline on many levels. The riots last year will most likely happen again as the problems are still festering and largely unresolved. Like the US, you need money there to buy yourself isolation from the ever worsening problems and the ongoing deterioration of society in general.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 PM

24,670 posts, read 19,686,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
I don't think that a lot of Americans understand how 'ghetto' (in their own terms) many British people are. A lot of bottom feeding degenerates there who are the lowest of the low. It is a beautiful country in many places, but it isn't a land of fairy tales and politeness. It's a country in decline on many levels. The riots last year will most likely happen again as the problems are still festering and largely unresolved. Like the US, you need money there to buy yourself isolation from the ever worsening problems and the ongoing deterioration of society in general.
Not only that, but I believe, if I remember correctly, that the UK has the highest crime rate in western Europe.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 AM

10,736 posts, read 8,272,320 times
A lot of people fantasize about a country and feel an affinity for their culture, and likely would have difficulty adjusting if they were to live there for more than a month or two, missing their true home.
Who knows? Maybe you really would find a better home abroad, but for many it's a different experience when reality sets in.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,174,750 times
I suggest the OP join some American Expat forums. Talking with people who have done it will give her some insights. I used to be on several of these forums and you'll get good advice before you move and about adjusting when you get here. Many love it, quite a few move back to the US. In my experience the ones who move to Scotland or northern England are the happiest. The ones in and around London seem to be the least so.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 AM

4,640 posts, read 3,845,340 times
At the risk of offending someone, I did not like London at all, nor did I feel welcome. I would not return to London ever. I do wish I had spent more time in the English countryside, and I plan to visit again one day and do just that. The people in London did not seem to like Americans or tourists in general. Some might say that is a big city thing, but I did not feel the same about all the cities I have visited. It was more than a feeling of just a city in a hurry; it was a city that was angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World