Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 PM

65 posts, read 256,520 times

Advertisements

Like I always feel that the USA isn't my home, and that I don't belong here, and that I should have been born in England. I just wanted to know do y'all ever feel that way? That you don't belong in your country of residence? My great great great great grandparents came from the U.K. My Heritage is 70% British. I love everything British. The culture, the country, and most importantly the people. I hope to visit this BEAUTIFUL country soon. I can't wait to move there. (My Fiance is British)
Rule, Britannia and God Save the Queen!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,484,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl1989 View Post
Like I always feel that the USA isn't my home, and that I don't belong here, and that I should have been born in England. I just wanted to know do y'all ever feel that way? That you don't belong in your country of residence? My great great great great grandparents came from the U.K. My Heritage is 70% British. I love everything British. The culture, the country, and most importantly the people. I hope to visit this BEAUTIFUL country soon. I can't wait to move there. (My Fiance is British)
I love almost everything brittish too
They sure have the best rock bands ever.
And Shakespeare.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,397,688 times
No. im happy and proud of where i am from. i love the uk though, many great things came from there.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,858,184 times
Quote:

Being that you live in the South I can see why.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM

65 posts, read 256,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Being that you live in the South I can see why.
touche. I mean don't get me wrong. The US is a Beautiful Country. I just feel like I don't belong here.

Last edited by Southerngirl1989; 10-20-2012 at 12:12 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,545,021 times
Quote:
Why don't you move there with your fiance?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,039,341 times
I enjoy the US but I agree, I feel like I should've been born in Canada or the UK (or any other places in the Commonwealth even). I know for a fact I don't feel at home in Southern California.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 AM

319 posts, read 623,154 times
I'm Australian and I feel as if I should have been born in the USA - I don't feel like I belong here, lol.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:17 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,925,591 times
Quote:
So here's what I've gathered: you're a natural-born citizen of the United States, you've probably spent your entire life here, you imply that you've never been to the U.K. (yet you're positive that you adore "everything" pertaining to the UK and British culture), but part of you feels as if you were born and raised there; in other words, because of your ancestry and love for everything British, you basically are British?

Now have you, by any chance, ever actually made these comments in the presence of an actual British person who isn't your fiance? I would absolutely love to see a native Brit's opinion on how "British" a U.S. native can possibly be without, you know, having ever set foot in the UK or spent a significant amount of time in said country's cultural environment.

Personally, though, I think that if you truly believe this psychobabble about feeling British, then, for the sake of yourself and your birth-country, it really is best for you to leave; living in the UK could very well be the only effective way to cure yourself of this bizarre case of Anglophilia that has taken such a massive toll on your sense of self and nationality.

Oh, and don't forget: following your arrival to the UK, be sure to run around and tell the locals how "British" you feel--they'll LOVE to hear that, especially from an American.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 AM

58 posts, read 208,403 times
I didn't feel that I belonged in the US. Especially due to the mass amounts of crazy Republicans who don't know what they're talking about. So I moved to Canada, and people are more polite, smart, and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World