Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,507,746 times

Advertisements

1/ China by a long shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
What?
This!

Tall poppy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although I feel the article is a bit outdated, these days I feel its more of a dislike for people who think they are somehow a better person than your average Joe becuase they have money, and really like to show it off.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
Well i Live in the UK and i've never heard of that term in my life. I still don't know what it means.

It must be a thing that the elderly say.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well i Live in the UK and i've never heard of that term in my life. I still don't know what it means.

It must be a thing that the elderly say.
I really don't get it either, even though it is commonly used here. I think of it as more of a way of stifling criticism, rather than as an attempt to cut people down to size. For example - if I express my dislike for the business practices of someone, many stupid people will haul out the old tall poppy/ jealousy routine, there-by dumbing down the argument away from meaningful discussion to simply a matter of envy.

It is a term usually used by people too lazy, or not smart enough, for meaningful discussion imo.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,445 times
1. US
2. US
3. US
4. US
5. US
6. US
7. US
8. US
9. US
10. US

Because it's the US.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Ah, what would a comment from dunno what to put here be without the charming trademark of pompous ineptitude?

Please, feel free to tell us some more about Des Moines, Iowa. For that matter, tell us all something about Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Maine. Only through your armored wisdom and general worldliness will we Americans in the world of "back-o-beyond" come to understand our arrested development.

More, more!
Ah, what would a comment from Montguy be without the embarrassing overreaction to one remark on the internet, accompanied by an undeserved sense of superiority.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
1. US
2. US
3. US
4. US
5. US
6. US
7. US
8. US
9. US
10. US

Because it's the US.
Only top 10? You are way too modest. Just yell: "America, f**k yeah!" I know you want to.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Ah, what would a comment from Montguy be without the embarrassing overreaction to one remark on the internet, accompanied by an undeserved sense of superiority.

Only once my comments can be laden with elementary snarkiness and political/cultural retardation will I be able to spare myself the consequential embarrassment from my overreactive behavior!

Boy, I sure needed that.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,494 times
I don't know where to rate it, but Russia has become very materialistic. I found Korea and China very materialistic, too. I have heard Japan is extremely materialistic, but I haven't been there, so it's just hearsay.
I think those countries where luxury goods are relatively "new" or are enjoying newly found disposable income would be highest on the list (nouveau riche syndrome).
Most countries where luxury items are nothing new probably seem materialistic because most people can buy (notice I didn't write "afford") said items. It's no big deal to buy nice perfume in the US, for example, but such a luxury wasn't possible in many emerging markets for a long time.
Americans tend to be impressed with big houses, so perhaps the materialism just moves up levels as a population grows wealthier. Interesting to note that poorer segments of the US population seem to focus on smaller luxury items (sneakers, jewelry, car rims, etc.), while the wealthier classes tend to err on the side of appearing less rich than they are. How else could one explain torn and worn-out "designer" jeans?!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Tier 1:
Monaco
USA
UAE
Qatar
Singapore

Tier 2:
Japan
South Korea
Hong Kong
Macau

Tier 3:
France
Canada
UK
Australia
Argentina
Chile
Malaysia

I don't know where to rank Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iran, Russia and China.
Chile and Argentina more materialistic than Spain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World