Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,313 times

Advertisements

I dont know if this thread already exists, i really would like to know your opinion. I know this question is subjective, therefore i would like your own opinion and your observations.

By materialistic i mean, people are more concern over material things and are superfical and shallow.

Please rank from 1-10 and why you put the countries in that order.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Number 1 is USA

have to think about the rest

Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
1) USA- the most materialistic society/ culture in the world, consumerism is engrained in society and keeping up with the joneses is a part of culture
2) Singapore- people have nothing better to do than shop and compare themselves to their neighbors
3) Hong Kong- materialistic, capitalist mindset
4) Japan- a large segment too interested in frivolous things, brands, etc
5) South Korea
6) Canada (more down to earth than the US but more materialistic than other anglophone countries)
7) UK
8) Australia
9) Argentina
10) Chile

(not familiar with Europe, have been to a few countries there but they dont strike me as being particularly materialistic)

Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I too would put the USA as number one. But I am not sure which other countries follow.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,917 times
The USA doesn't even come close to a lot of countries in the Middle East (Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, etc. etc.) and I'd even venture to say some countries in the Far East such as South Korea, etc.

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Koreans Most Materialistic People in the World

Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
I don't know what the opinion is of the UK to outsiders, but people here are driven by consumerism. Buy buy buy, we must have the latest gadgets, we must buy nice clothes every month, even if we can't afford it. I was reading a blog of an Indian girl visiting my city, Leeds, and she commented on how this place is obsessed with appearance. We have a a massive shopping culture here in particular, the city basically promotes itself as a place to shop and buy expensive clothes at the most luxury brands (Louis Vuitton, Harvey Nichols etc). It's as if we have nothing else to offer. I also see many large Land and Range Rovers, more than I've ever seen in the past, I can't believe everyone can afford these legitimately! Some people must be piling up the debt.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Every country, given the opportunity.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I dont know if this thread already exists, i really would like to know your opinion. I know this question is subjective, therefore i would like your own opinion and your observations.

By materialistic i mean, people are more concern over material things and are superfical and shallow.
Almeida, I can assure you that there have been many threads on C-D and elsewhere that discuss how materialistic, shallow and generally sub-human Americans are--surely you know that this type of thread will mostly be nothing more than another opportunity for non-U.S. citizens and their snobbish American counterparts to embellish the materialistic tendencies of Americans first and foremost, whilst dedicating mere lip-service to the fact that materialism, consumerism and shallowness infects the entire modern world (even those Western European paradises we hear so much about).

I'm actually going to refrain from even trying to rank these phenomena by country, as I see it as being highly unfair and massively arrogant to generalize any population as being "superficial and shallow" overall. It's extremely doubtful in my mind that there could be any more than a tiny number of C-D posters who actually have the international experience to offer credible opinions on this subject (and something's telling me that SophieLL, f1000 and Chava61 aren't amongst this small group, but I could, of course, be wrong).

Also, kudos to dunno what to put here for finally offering a fair, honest (if not somewhat humble) societal evaluation on a C-D forum!!! Very nice!

Last edited by Montguy; 10-25-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
The USA doesn't even come close to a lot of countries in the Middle East (Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, etc. etc.) and I'd even venture to say some countries in the Far East such as South Korea, etc.

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Koreans Most Materialistic People in the World
Now that is something I agree with! The Koreans are way more materialistic than Australians.

I could not find many differences between the Brits and the Aussies when i lived in england, although the brits don't seem to have as much of a tall poppy syndrome like aussies do.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-25-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Thumbs up This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Almeida, I can assure you that there have been many threads on C-D and elsewhere that discuss how materialistic, shallow and generally sub-human Americans are--surely you know that this type of thread will mostly be nothing more than another opportunity for non-U.S. citizens and their snobbish American counterparts to embellish the materialistic tendencies of Americans first and foremost, whilst dedicating mere lip-service to the fact that materialism, consumerism and shallowness infects the entire modern world (even those Western European paradises we hear so much about).

I'm actually going to refrain from even trying to rank these phenomena by country, as I see it as being highly unfair and massively arrogant to generalize any population as being "superficial and shallow" overall. It's extremely doubtful in my mind that there could be any more than a tiny number of C-D posters who actually have the international experience to offer credible opinions on this subject (and something's telling me that SophieLL, f1000 and Chava61 aren't amongst this small group, but I could, of course, be wrong).

Also, kudos to dunno what to put here for finally offering a fair, honest (if not somewhat humble) societal evaluation on a C-D forum!!! Very nice!
Kudos as well to boxus for saying a flat out truth concerning opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Every country, given the opportunity.
Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World