U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
295 posts, read 792,889 times
Reputation: 344

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post

From what I understand, Slovenia bends over backwards to ensure Italian language/cultural rights (Italy, which is huge and has clout, would protest whenever they didn't), but rumor has it that Croatia has been messing with the Italians in recent years. Don't know if that's true or not.
Things with Italian minority in Croatia are pretty calm, haven't heard about any recent language issues (?)

I spent a week in Rovinj (Rovigno) this summer and saw bilingualism there being part of everyday life. I watched locals chatting in Croatian, but than a person would greet them in Italian and they would all switch to Italian chatting with him, than again with another newcomer to Croatian, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM
 
816 posts, read 979,349 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How are they nothing like the French? I heard French Swiss are more like French than Swiss Germans are like Germans. Much of Swiss identity is Swiss-German identity. Geneva could be annexed by France and you probably couldn't tell much difference.

Belgium is probably a better example of a more multi-linguistic/ethnic country, it's sort of split between France and the Netherlands.
For one thing the french swiss are mostly protestants while catholicism dominates in France. Read up on the reformation and the religion wars, there was a large split in that country. A large % of protestants (Huguenots) chose to emigrate, some to America (mostly SC, Virginia) , some to South-Africa and became Boers and some to England (mostly Ulster) and then some seeked refuge in Switzerland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Scotland
8,024 posts, read 10,985,729 times
Reputation: 4155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
some to England (mostly Ulster)
Ulster is Northern Ireland not England.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
 
2,896 posts, read 4,594,200 times
Reputation: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
For one thing the french swiss are mostly protestants while catholicism dominates in France. Read up on the reformation and the religion wars, there was a large split in that country. A large % of protestants (Huguenots) chose to emigrate, some to America (mostly SC, Virginia) , some to South-Africa and became Boers and some to England (mostly Ulster) and then some seeked refuge in Switzerland.
That might have historically been true but this document says the proportion of the population in Suisse romande who call themselves protestants has been dropping fast (see graph 2, p.19):

1970: (roughly) 41% protestant, 53% catholic
1980: 38% - 52%
1990: 30% - 51%
2000: 25% - 45%

I'd say the differences between the French Swiss and the French are probably due to the fact that they have had to share their destiny with protestants (German Swiss) and different catholics (Italian Swiss) for the past 150 years, rather than their own religion. That kind of coexistence warrants neutrality for example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
 
4,171 posts, read 6,033,592 times
Reputation: 4722
The eastern bulge of Ethiopia is much more more like neighboring Somalia, physically and culturally. Much of the African continent was carved up into territories by European powers at the 1882 Berlin Conference, without even consulting the native peoples involved, and with little regard for ethnic/ tribal zones.

The southern peninsular end of Thailand is Moslem instead of Buddhist, and is home to a violent secession movement - they want to join Malaysia. The Zamboanga area of southwestern Philippines is also Moslem instead of Catholic, and they want to join Malaysia.

Northern Romania is ethnically Hungarian, including Timisoara where the 1990 revolutionary protests started.

The Volga Germans have long been an ethnic minority, deep inside Russia http://en.wikipedia.org/Volga_Germans

Northern Sri Lanka is Hindu, and speaks the Tamil language of southern India, and it has a decades-long violent Civil War with southern Sri Lanka, whose people are Buddhist and speak Sinhalese.

East Timor (island) had a long bloody secession movement against its parent nation, Indonesia. http://en.wikipedia.org/East_Timor
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,911,904 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
For one thing the french swiss are mostly protestants while catholicism dominates in France. Read up on the reformation and the religion wars, there was a large split in that country. A large % of protestants (Huguenots) chose to emigrate, some to America (mostly SC, Virginia) , some to South-Africa and became Boers and some to England (mostly Ulster) and then some seeked refuge in Switzerland.
Geneva used to be Protestant but is now mostly Catholic. While Protestantism is more prevalent in Switzerland as a whole including the French parts, most French Swiss are still mostly Catholic not Protestant.

Everything about Switzerland: Pictures, Graphical Material, Maps and Facts
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,911,904 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The eastern bulge of Ethiopia is much more more like neighboring Somalia, physically and culturally. Much of the African continent was carved up into territories by European powers at the 1882 Berlin Conference, without even consulting the native peoples involved, and with little regard for ethnic/ tribal zones.

The southern peninsular end of Thailand is Moslem instead of Buddhist, and is home to a violent secession movement - they want to join Malaysia. The Zamboanga area of southwestern Philippines is also Moslem instead of Catholic, and they want to join Malaysia.

Northern Romania is ethnically Hungarian, including Timisoara where the 1990 revolutionary protests started.

The Volga Germans have long been an ethnic minority, deep inside Russia http://en.wikipedia.org/Volga_Germans

Northern Sri Lanka is Hindu, and speaks the Tamil language of southern India, and it has a decades-long violent Civil War with southern Sri Lanka, whose people are Buddhist and speak Sinhalese.

East Timor (island) had a long bloody secession movement against its parent nation, Indonesia. http://en.wikipedia.org/East_Timor
Irian Jaya also has an independence movement to break away from Indonesia. Ethnically/culturally they're Papuans (the natives at least) like their neighbours in Papua New Guinea so it makes sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 PM
 
567 posts, read 1,026,763 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Things with Italian minority in Croatia are pretty calm, haven't heard about any recent language issues (?)
Somebody I know recently mentioned something in passing, without any details. It was probably just a rumor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 2,007,396 times
Reputation: 1000
The northeast of India on the other side of Bangladesh seems to have its own culture. Physically, Culturally and economically they are not related to India a whole lot.

Northeast India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i would say the country Northeast India is closest to would be Bhutan because they share the same religion and economically and physically they are connected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 25,665,575 times
Reputation: 11728
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Ulster is Northern Ireland not England.
A lot of people in the US think England is the entire UK, not realizing that England is one country that comprises the United Kingdom (BBC did a survey here before that came to the conclusion that Americans knew where and what England is, but thought the United Kingdom was a country in the Middle East)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top